Boston's Closer!

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Statement reserved for August 19, 2007:

"There's a reason nobody in DCI has pulled out that tune ... see BD 1984. The creative teams of DCI corps today don't have the guts to make a hornline play a beefy book with todays visual demands. 1) If they did it would sound like crap. 2) If they did it would sound like crap. They will continue to spread the tough parts into the pit and right a bunch of big phat whole notes for the brass. Further, I don't think they know how to teach the modern members how to play with the power necessary to pull off a chart like La Fiesta.

Boston is still searching for a winning formula at the expense of their historical identity. The last time Boston had the right idea was 2000. It was an IN YOUR FACE drum corps show. Not alot of hosing. Not a ton of jazz running. No extra fluff. Just power drum corps. They even managed to get the hits from Conquest into the closer, which is the true identifiable motif of that song. I hope they figure it out soon because that closer, in particular, was AS PREDICTED!"

And don't bother bringing corps affiliations into your responses. This comes from me personally as a FAN of Boston. I'm well documented as such. I wouldn't be so critical (nor would the other posters, I imagine) if I didn't care so dang much.

Reservation confirmed.

Once again, Boston has chosen to play a watered down version of a drum corps classic, La Fiesta. Don't get me wrong, it's not the kid's fault. Will this corps ever find it's own identity? Flame away! Any input 84BDSop?

The Boston Crusaders had their " own identity " before 90% of the current DCI Corps began their existence. I like it when Corps add their own imprint on a song. Other Corps in the past have taken Stan Kenton's classic " La Fiesta " and played it exactly as that band arranged it ( which is an ok thing to do as well ). Stan Kenton could have said to those Corps....why take my music and not do your OWN version ? Boston did their own version, with a percussion leadin that was lengthier than others have done. I love " La Fiesta " and have enjoyed the Hawthorne Caballeros version, Blue Devils version, and now this year's Boston Crusaders version..... all terrific Corps with a long and lengthy " identity "

Edited by X DM

This is exactly the crap I was talking about on another topic.

Who gives a flying #### if they are playing an allegedly watered down version?! This is drum corps...there's a TON of music out there that has been watered down, but who cares? We loved it! Do you think when corps have taken on The Rite of Spring that they're going to play ALL the notes from the original score? Pshh...well then I sure as hell don't wanna hear it? It's watered down! D@#$ those sops for not taking the 64th note runs that the woodwinds had in the riginal score! I shun this arrangement! Is that good sense? Oh, and BTW. Did ya hear? Phantom and Blue Stars are playing The Firebird Suite! It'll be watered down because blah blah blah.....

I'm open to hearing ANY rendition of ANY tune on the field. Who knows, maybe I'll find the "watered down" version less congested and more entertaining. But that's still a maybe, considering I leave my judgement of music untill AFTER I have heard it. (gee....what a novel concept)

I'll listen any day of the week to any Drum Corps with their rendition of" La Fiesta " than some of the stuff I 'm hearing that oftentimes seems completely devoid of elemental harmony and melody.

Edited by X DM

What I would LOVE to hear Boston play at finals is a full version of Conquest....THAT would make the crowd heard in San Bernardino!! (about an hour away from the Rose Bowl)

They had their chance in 05 with a huge home crowd, but Harold/staff didn't come through.

La Fiesta ended up being watered down if you wanted a jazzier version. Someone said BAC had an average of 19. something, which was the 4th youngest in D1. More Tarpon Springs HS than music majors to play quality stuff. But a few years back, the Cavies original stuff had been designed for the drill with nice sounding chords, but not a lot of meat if I recall. Might have to re-listen before I eat my words.

Edited by Ghost

La Fiesta ended up being watered down if you wanted a jazzier version. Someone said BAC had an average of 19. something, which was the 4th youngest in D1. More Tarpon Springs HS than music majors to play quality stuff. But a few years back, the Cavies original stuff has been designed for the drill with nice sounding chords, but not a lot of meat if I recall. Might have to re-listen before I eat my words.

I don't think there was one person in their hornline that went to Tarpon Springs HS. Average age of the line was pretty young though, I'd say 17-18, not many age outs. Doesn't really make a difference, the horn book was significantly beefed up from what they did last year. Leap and bounds.

Still not a good version of La Fiesta, IMO. It just seemed heavily watered to be playable. Lots of doughnuts.