Blue Devils

I would *hardly* call that a shortcoming. I'd say most every corps would like a record like that. Ya think?

Well... actually it is a shortcoming. Of course that being said, there is no other drum corps would have those same numbers - in any caption or subcation. So yes, every corps would want to have those numbers over the last 34 years. Hands down - no corps has been as successful as BD since 1974. But when you compare caption and subcaption placements, GE visual or visual performance are not their strongest suits (although it's not as bad as percussion). In the past 34 years their (your) brass line has an average placement of 1.94. That's incredible. And is probably what makes the other numbers look "bad". The average percussion placement is 3.79. I would say a "shortcoming" is any caption or subcaption in which you place lower than the overall placement. GE visual and visual performance is a shortcoming, but not as much as percussion. Now if you only look at the the past ten years you can make a point that their visual performance is actually a strong point. Over the last ten years they have an average overall placment of 2.2, brass 1.8, percussion 3.4, GE visual 2.4, but the visual performance is 2.0. So clearly in the past 10 years they have been helped by the brass(no surprise there) and visual performance. So the perception that visual performance is a strong suit for the corps is probably held by people who can't remember or did not see BD prior to ten years ago. Maybe, I don't know. I'm fishing here for answers.

Edited by DAvery

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... actually it is a shortcoming. Of course that being said, there is no other drum corps would have those same numbers - in any caption or subcation. So yes, every corps would want to have those numbers over the last 34 years. Hands down - no corps has been as successful as BD since 1974. But when you compare caption and subcaption placements, GE visual or visual performance are not their strongest suits (although it's not as bad as percussion). In the past 34 years their (your) brass line has an average placement of 1.94. That's incredible. And is probably what makes the other numbers look "bad". The average percussion placement is 3.79. I would say a "shortcoming" is any caption or subcaption in which you place lower than the overall placement. GE visual and visual performance is a shortcoming, but not as much as percussion. Now if you only look at the the past ten years you can make a point that their visual performance is actually a strong point. Over the last ten years they have an average overall placment of 2.2, brass 1.8, percussion 3.4, GE visual 2.4, but the visual performance is 2.0. So clearly in the past 10 years they have been helped by the brass(no surprise there) and visual performance. So the perception that visual performance is a strong suit for the corps is probably held by people who can't remember or did not see BD prior to ten years ago. Maybe, I don't know. I'm fishing here for answers.

Of course, it may be that I have short term memory issues. :lookaround:

Edited by DAvery

No argument here. Ever since they switched away from Yamaha drums, they haven't won percussion. It's been what, ten years since their last drum trophy?

Yep, 97. Although you could say that they have actually been better in percussion over the last ten years as compared to the last 34 years. 3.79-3.4.

Edited by newterak