WHO WROTE MAGIC'S DRILL IN 2003!?!?!?!?!?!

I really like these kinds of posts, because it gives me a reason to go back and watch a show that I haven't watched in ages.

I'm surprised to see that former members thought that drill was a weak point in the show. I don't mean to tell you guys your business, but I didn't think it was that bad. Sure, there were some ineffective moments, but overall, I found it to be solid bottom six drill. I can see what you mean about the ineffectiveness hiding the difficulty of performing it (e.g., Phantom 2002, in my opinion).

To me, the ending is fairly ineffective, especially relative to 2002, but I don't think the drillwriter was given much to work with music-wise.

I'm also surprised at seeing a Gaines comparison. I don't see any Gaines-ian influences here.

Finally Ryan, would "drill brilliance" be "drilliance"?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes!! that hornline could play!

The soprano line in the opener had a textbook perfect crescendo to the release with a cutoff so razor sharp I bleed every time I hear it. My favorite Magic 2.0 horn book.

Jack Chambers is a well known designer, especially in the marching band activity. He's been the designer for Lassiter HS, GA since the 1990's and has written for many other fine bands including Winston Churchill HS, TX and Owasso HS, OK. Jack Chambers also designed Spirit's drill in 2001.

Jack Chambers also wrote the Blue Knights drill in 1994.....check that one out....some beautiful moments in that one for sure.......

Also....Magic 2003 was Gino C. hornline...hence the reason for a strong line...especially the upper brass

Jack Chambers also wrote the Blue Knights drill in 1994.....check that one out....some beautiful moments in that one for sure.......

Also....Magic 2003 was Gino C. hornline...hence the reason for a strong line...especially the upper brass

Gino C. hornline on a Wanye Downey book, no less. Add to that a Colin McNutt drum book and the music design team doesn't fall in the slouch category.

Yeah, they were really good in 1994.

But, he also wrote 1996 for them as well. Even though they made Finals, it wasn't spectacular by any means.

He also wrote the drill for Spirit 2001. A lot of it was ineffective and spent the whole summer fixing problems. Visual was what kept us out of finals that year. What is interesting is that he wrote some kick booty drill for Lassiter in 2002… they won grand nationals that year. I guess it depends what mood he is in.

Edited by BudBb

jack chambers and it was honestly what kept the drum corps from being in like.....9th, at least. if the drill wasnt so hard/ineffective, the corps EASILY could have taken crown and crossmen (though i think they should have anyway). it was the 3rd hardest drill program that year, id say, being scv and the cavies (look for how fast theyre moving, how few breaks they have all show, step size, etc.....and then look how few actual EFFECTS come out of it).

You could add 2003 Seattle Cascades to that list, with being the 3rd hardest drill--IMO, I think it was much harder to march than Magics drill, which looked "easy"--after performing our show, I would have longed for having Magics drill that year. We had Myron Rosander (some of his stuff was nearly impossible to march--even for a top 5 corps, so it was re-charted) and Marc Sylvester (more effective drill, but again, difficult as well) drill, all in one show... Go figure.

He also wrote the drill for Spirit 2001. A lot of it was ineffective and spent the whole summer fixing problems. Visual was what kept us out of finals that year. What is interesting is that he wrote some kick booty drill for Lassiter in 2002… they won grand nationals that year. I guess it depends what mood he is in.

Spirit = 135 member drum corps; Lassiter = huge ### high school marching band..apples and oranges, anyone?