Choctaw!

mpsanchez

• 8 months later...

does anyone recall their 1991 production "the velveteen rabbit"?

now considered a classic this show deserves a second look.

any information about the design or memories from those who are familiar with this work would be appreciated.

btw,they had two guards in finals that year!

Edited by dugg

• 2 weeks later...

Choctawhatchee actually had two guards make World Class Finals in 1990 and 1991. Prior to making World Class Finals, the second guard was a finalist in the A CLass. In 1993 the second guard was 4th at World Championships in the first year of Open Class. Since that time, the second guard has remained a "local" guard that does circuit shows only.

The Velveteen Rabbit show was amazing! I actually thought they should have won... or maybe tied with Miamisburg. And I love that they had two HUGE guards in finals for a couple years. Really incredible.

I believe St. Ann's would be the most recent organization to have two units in finals in the same class (2002 IW bronze medal and 15th place).

The Velveteen Rabbit show was amazing! I actually thought they should have won... or maybe tied with Miamisburg. And I love that they had two HUGE guards in finals for a couple years. Really incredible.

I believe St. Ann's would be the most recent organization to have two units in finals in the same class (2002 IW bronze medal and 15th place).

The Velveteen Rabbit show would have won any other year. . .probably even the next couple of years too, but Miamisburg 1991 was untouchable, complete magic and something that comes along very rarely. I still get chills watching it to this day. . .

Choctaw has never won, have they? they are hands down the best guard never to have won

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

To my knowledge, Choctawhatchee has never gotten a gold medal. Double check with Randy Nelson to be sure, though. I believe they have a plethora of silver and bronze medals.

I'm hoping their neighbors at Tate High School can return to their finalist status. The Chapparals are always a class act.

To my knowledge, Choctawhatchee has never gotten a gold medal. Double check with Randy Nelson to be sure, though. I believe they have a plethora of silver and bronze medals.

I'm hoping their neighbors at Tate High School can return to their finalist status. The Chapparals are always a class act.

I concur. . .I was in the same hotel as Tate when WGI went to Milwaukee. . .Class act through and through, with great parents! Would love to see them back in finals!

Also, I'd love to know more about the SW group Ft. Walton Beach....seems pretty ballsy jumping into SW having never been to WGI before. . .do they go the way of Oak Grove? or of Leigh? Should be interesting. . .

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

thanks for the replys.

regarding "the velveteen rabbit",i have learned that their director and recent wgi hall of fame member randy nelson was very involved with the design proccess along with one of the best designers in the activity jeff namian[also wgi hall of fame].you may remember that jeff had just revolutionized the activity with his blessed sac productions in 89 and 90 and along with collaborators kurt waters,nick charles they proceeded to create a very fresh,unique and trendsetting high school program.did you know that the voiceover was by actress meryl streep?

Edited by dugg