Types of Shoes

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

arch support insoles arent a bad idea either

neither are a good pair of odor eaters. nothing good about having stinky shoes on the bus....

any good suggestions for someone with flat feet?

If you have flat feet it means you have pronation... pronation means the foot turns slightly inward as your body's natural shock absorber... the opposite would be supination, where the foot turns out and gives a very high arch.

check out www.runnersworld.com for more info about what shoes are good for what kinds of feet. They have a shoe finder that can literally pinpoint several pairs of shoes that will work best for you... also, if you have the time and option of going to some plac elike Happy Feet Plus or American running Company, they can do the same for you, and you can try on tons of pairs and actually run in them... like outside the store, it's a test drive for shoes basically.

The best kind of shoe for a summer of marching is a Cross Trainer. They differ from running shoes in that they're built for a rougher terrain and therefore have more support in the ankles for hard direction changes. Like Jake said, running shoes are only made to hit the ground in one direction, and offer little to no support for the ankle if you change direction.

As far as brands, I'd recommend Adidas or New Balance. Both are high quality, durable shoes.

Stay away from Nike. They have great advertising, but have yet to really put out a superior product.

As for Brooks - my father has run marathons in them for 20 years and has loved them. He got me a pair of Brooks cross trainers for my first season marching and I wound up with a sprained ankle, aggravated knees, and a pulled groin. Plus, they began to fray at the seaming after about one week of spring training. They may work for a lot of people, but I did have a negative experience. Used Adidas the next summer and they worked great, no injuries.

Something else to consider AFTER you shop for shoes. Strengthen your feet, ankles, and lower legs NOW and you will be much better off, regardless of the shoe you purchase. Stretch your Achilles tendon and do calf raises daily. Strong muscles and supple tendons are key to warding off injuries, and once you hit spring training, it's too late.

Best of luck!

Most people get injuries from running because of the wrong type of shoes. I am into marathon running and learned this the hard way. Years ago I had heard brooks was a great running shoe, so I got a pair and not two weeks later I could barely walk because of pains in my hip and lower back. Turns out the problem was the lack of arch support since I have a serious arch because I supinate which I knew nothing about at the time. It is really important to determine your arch type or else any shoe will prove useless...

As far as cross trainers vs. a running shoe goes... I have marched two summers in running shoes and had no problem with lack of support. I wore asics both times and they were great. I would actually have to disagree with the people who say running shoes have no support. Running shoes are designed with high mileage in mind so the primary focus of the support is where the foot strikes the ground--towards the back of it. Any shoe after about 300 miles will lose its cushion and so it might be a good idea to bring inserts-- youll know when this happens because you feel it in your knees almost immediately.

One last thing... Like I mentioned previously I have extremely high arches, so the last pair of running shoes I got was a corrective one. There is an unbalanced amount of support in the shoe because its intention is to correct your stride when you run. I wore them to last visual camp and they ended up really hurting my feet. Maybe it's because it was the first all drill camp we have had, or the fact that the corrective support prevented total movement of the ankle, but I guess my hypothesis would be that a corrective shoe is a terrible idea for the summer but i don't plan on testing it. I plan on wearing a neutral show again with added supports.

Hopefully this was helpful to someone.

My first two years I wore adidas, and actaully the same ones for both years, so they are durable. I cant really remember if they were comfy or not but I did wear them for 2 summers so I guess they werent too bad.

My third year I wore Saucony's (sp?) .... gave out mid-season and had to call home and have my parents bring me some nike's; which worked out well.

Last summer I wore New Balance and they were probably my favorite thus far; though after the season was over so were they and I threw them out.

This summer I am wearing Shox so I'll let you know after its over. Yay for 2007!

This is actually one of the most important threads for current drum corps members. If you don't have good shoes, you will be in for a LONG summer. My advice- try them out and buy before you go to move-ins. If you are trying to break in shoes a day before you leave, you are going to be having all kinds of foot problems on top of normal muscle soreness! :rolleyes:

I'm a running shoes girl. But definitely go to a sporting goods store or a shoe store and do some research online. I didn't talk to anyone in the store before corps and ended up changing shoes (to the style I'm in now) when I went into the local sporting goods store the next spring.

Everyone's feet, needs and preferences are different, so it's all about figuring out exactly what YOU need and how to explain that drum corps to the basketball guy :) .

I've found that Birkenstocks always work well when it comes to drum corps. After all, they're the only shoe promoted by Jesus, and he's rarely wrong.

I've found that Birkenstocks always work well when it comes to drum corps. After all, they're the only shoe promoted by Jesus, and he's rarely wrong.

Except that one time...

*shakes fist at the heavens*