Judging

So what did you guys think about the judging?

I think some of the regional stuff was a little strange regarding too high of scores sometimes, but overall

I think they got it right at championships, ESPECIALLY in IO, I was worried about some placements going in, but it worked out right.

IA- Americas was ranked no1 all the way through finals and then they placed second. I dunno how that happend.

WGI has been working hard to educate their judges and it looks like a major improvement! Good job!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what did you guys think about the judging?

I think some of the regional stuff was a little strange regarding too high of scores sometimes, but overall

I think they got it right at championships, ESPECIALLY in IO, I was worried about some placements going in, but it worked out right.

IA- Americas was ranked no1 all the way through finals and then they placed second. I dunno how that happend.

WGI has been working hard to educate their judges and it looks like a major improvement! Good job!

Well I found all the IW and SW scores at championships were really close. I think that Amachi should have placed a little higher, they were brilliant this weekend absolutly breathtaking. And the whole debacle between Arcadia and Flanagan in prelims with ther two different scores posted and then ending the season with one tenth of a point between them. Also Avon and Logan with only two tenths, those poor girls seemed so disappointed when they heard the scores. Well everyone put in a good fight this season and it was one of the best years yet. B)

I should wait till I get the DVDs to make a final decision and/or comment, but I was a bit surprised at Pride of Cincinnati winning. Just my opinion, of course, but I would've put Fantasia on top, followed by Aimachi in second, Pride of Cincinnati third and Blessed Sac fourth. But the championship was my only opportunity to see these guards, so my judgment may be premature. Like I said, I plan to watch the DVDs and get a closer look. It may be that it came out right, and I just missed a lot!

Emotionally, Aimachi won my heart (and pretty much that of everyone in the arena), but I feel that technically, Fantasia had the edge. And, probably Pride of Cincinnati did, too. Neither show was perfect, but what amazing demand. And they nailed it! It was wonderful to hear Blessed Sac doing Gordon Lightfoot again. Brought back fond memories of that amazing show all those years ago.

By the way, math has never been my strong suit, but how does WGI figure this is their 30th year? I went to that first championship back in 1978.

Edited by byline

By the way, math has never been my strong suit, but how does WGI figure this is their 30th year? I went to that first championship back in 1978.

It's been 29 years since the first WGI World Championship, but you count 1978 as the first year, thus 1978-2007=30 years of World Championships.

Well I found all the IW and SW scores at championships were really close. I think that Amachi should have placed a little higher, they were brilliant this weekend absolutly breathtaking. And the whole debacle between Arcadia and Flanagan in prelims with ther two different scores posted and then ending the season with one tenth of a point between them. Also Avon and Logan with only two tenths, those poor girls seemed so disappointed when they heard the scores. Well everyone put in a good fight this season and it was one of the best years yet. B)

I agree ... SW scores were too close for comfort for me. It's disappointing to miss the bronze by one tenth of a point but I imagine that it also isn't comforting to know that you got the bronze by only one tenth of a point either. Judging is very subjective and I'm sure there will be lots of debate about Arcadia and Flanagan. For me it was more cut and dried between Avon and Logan. Avon was amazing but Logan was AWESOME ... as usual. Regardless, all four teams ROCKED!!!!!

It's been 29 years since the first WGI World Championship, but you count 1978 as the first year, thus 1978-2007=30 years of World Championships.

Except that that's not how anniversaries/birthdays work. When a person is born, you don't say s/he is one year old until a year after s/he was born. Same with anniversaries. You don't celebrate your first wedding anniversary, for example, until a year after you were married. So WGI wouldn't have celebrated its first anniversary until a year after it was founded. I'm thinking that what someone else said is correct, that WGI, the organization, was actually founded a year before it held its first competition; that would've been 1977. But as far as I can recall, nobody came right out and said that. Maybe it's in the program; I haven't had time to read that through yet. Or maybe that was explained in some of the big-screen interviews; I had a hard time understanding a lot of what was said.

I learned a long time ago that I don't always see what the judges do, and that's ok. But here's how I would have called it.

IW:

1. Fantasia: they were beautiful and had incredible effect. Also one of the cleanest and most technically sound Fantasia shows in a long time.

2. Amachi: Beautiful and the cleanest of the night. Breathtaking!

3. Pride: The show was constructed impeccably, but left me B-O-R-E-D. Also, they blew up in finals, several drops (even a flag drop :rolleyes: ). Pride is know for having superior technique and being so consistent. I haven't ever seen them blow up like that that I can remember.

SW:

1. Logan: Last year was iffy to me, but no question this year.

2. Avon: beautiful show, incredible performers, unfortunate music choice

3. Flanagan: They didn't have quite the sophistication that Arcadia did, but they were so good.

4. Arcadia: They catch their weapons like an A guard. It's a bit of a mystery to me how they beat Flangagan.

Just my opinion; it's probably worth what you paid for it.

I think that the judging was way off this year. Especially in the IW class. I thought Aimachi was beautiful and they were a crowd favorite. But we are not judging beauty and crowd reaction. This is a colorguard competition. Aimachi did not have the level of equipment or movement vocabulary of many other IW guards. Fantasia clearly had the better run in finals and deserved to win.

Don't get me wrong.. I loved Aimachi, however I would not have put them in the top 3.