Judging

As for the World class, I would've had Avon winning SW, with Logan second and Flanagan third.

Interesting, as I thought Logan was the obvious winner. Avon was wonderful, but I just felt that Logan was clearly above all the other scholastic guards.

Re: the earlier comment about Pride having so many drops, I was also puzzled by San Jose's noticeable performance breaks. I'd just finished telling my husband how wonderful San Jose's guards are in terms of pristine technique, year in and year out, and then I was left scratching my head over their performance. Maybe it was a one-off thing, and it just wasn't their night. Or maybe they're having an off year. I don't know, as this was the only show I saw this year. I was also a bit underwhelmed by Santa Clara's show. Good guard, but I felt the design team worked too hard to make this a cerebral show. Color guard still needs to engage the audience, and for me this one just didn't come together, somehow.

Edited by byline

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, had Aimachi's guard ever medalled at WGI before? They looked genuinely overwhelmed by placing where they did.

This was the first time that the Aimachi guard has medaled at WGI. Their percussion unit medaled on their last visit to championships (last year?). The look on the faces of those performers during the medal ceremony was priceless!

I was also a bit underwhelmed by Santa Clara's show. Good guard, but I felt the design team worked too hard to make this a cerebral show. Color guard still needs to engage the audience, and for me this one just didn't come together, somehow.

^OO^ A M E N ! ! !

This was the first time that the Aimachi guard has medaled at WGI. Their percussion unit medaled on their last visit to championships (last year?). The look on the faces of those performers during the medal ceremony was priceless!

Oh, I know! The guard members seemed absolutely overjoyed and delighted with where they placed! So I didn't feel so disappointed for them, because about the last thing they seemed to be was disappointed. I took pictures at retreat, and in particular this photo shows their emotions (I'll link it, because it's a pretty large file): Aimachi at retreat

By the way, I found the Aimachi drum line video from last year on YouTube. How cool that they combined both the drum line and guard: Aimachi 2006

Edited by byline

Has anyone looked at the recap yet? I just did. Amachi was 11th in equipment vocab, but 3rd in exc. And they were 7th in mvmt vocab and 1st in exc. I think that's pretty accurate. They didn't have the demand that the top groups did, but they were great at what they did have.

Also, I thought judges weren't supposed to give subcaption ties. But if you look at the recap, there are tons of them.

Has anyone looked at the recap yet? I just did. Amachi was 11th in equipment vocab, but 3rd in exc. And they were 7th in mvmt vocab and 1st in exc. I think that's pretty accurate. They didn't have the demand that the top groups did, but they were great at what they did have.

Also, I thought judges weren't supposed to give subcaption ties. But if you look at the recap, there are tons of them.

Where can I find the recap? I've only been able to see the scores.

In my opinion world class medalist guards should have both high vocabulary as well as excellence.

Easy and clean is supposed to be reserved for the A class where the sheets are catered to that type of show.

I think Aimachi still had hard work, they just weren't doing impossible to clean work. Some guards get rewarded for doing really hard stuff that will never be cleaned, and some guards get rewarded for doing stuff that is pristine but a little easier. I'd rather take perfect technique, heights, rotations, etc. any day.

ditto on the pride ranking. i absolutely believe the pride's show demonstrated a lot of skill, but it was quite flat. i didn't get the chills like i did when they did "everybody hurts," for example. as an overall package i believe that fantasia deserved the gold. aimachi's show was GORGEOUS!!! LOVED IT!!!!!!!!

i was going crazy waiting to see blessed sac this year because their 89 show is my all time fave. i was glad they got a medal out of it.

I should wait till I get the DVDs to make a final decision and/or comment, but I was a bit surprised at Pride of Cincinnati winning. Just my opinion, of course, but I would've put Fantasia on top, followed by Aimachi in second, Pride of Cincinnati third and Blessed Sac fourth. But the championship was my only opportunity to see these guards, so my judgment may be premature. Like I said, I plan to watch the DVDs and get a closer look. It may be that it came out right, and I just missed a lot!

Emotionally, Aimachi won my heart (and pretty much that of everyone in the arena), but I feel that technically, Fantasia had the edge. And, probably Pride of Cincinnati did, too. Neither show was perfect, but what amazing demand. And they nailed it! It was wonderful to hear Blessed Sac doing Gordon Lightfoot again. Brought back fond memories of that amazing show all those years ago.

By the way, math has never been my strong suit, but how does WGI figure this is their 30th year? I went to that first championship back in 1978.

i think typically with aimachi, people tend to get side tracked by the batons in the air. however, when i was able to focus on the equipment, i saw them doing some pretty challenging work. i think the really deserved the 3rd place if not higher. they are finally getting credit that they so deserve!

I think that the judging was way off this year. Especially in the IW class. I thought Aimachi was beautiful and they were a crowd favorite. But we are not judging beauty and crowd reaction. This is a colorguard competition. Aimachi did not have the level of equipment or movement vocabulary of many other IW guards. Fantasia clearly had the better run in finals and deserved to win.

Don't get me wrong.. I loved Aimachi, however I would not have put them in the top 3.