More random thoughts on World Championships

dancedance

Here are my VERY random thoughts in no order:

1. I wish I saw more of SO. That has to be my favorite class and I am just thrilled that Carmel took the gold. What beauty. Wish I had seen Warren Central... guess I'll buy the video.

2. I feel bad for SW guards. With the way people talk, it's as if the class is only made up of 2 guards - Logan and Avon. Those two are just so amazing - the type of amazing whereby they could be competitive in the IW class! They are so #### good that the other 13 colorguards get sort of forgotten - even though it's incredible to me that these 12, 15, 17 year-olds are out there throwing sixes and doing triple pirouettes. Hang in there you "other" SW guards - you are appreciated too.

3. Costumes, ....far less offensive than other year. Amen, good taste is back for most part. I didn't see a single girl fall out of her uniform!

4. Crowd, ....that was just SICK. Not a seat to be found in that place - what excitement - what absolute exhileration. If you're someone saying it was "boring this year," ....then you were one of these people watching it from your living room and hell - what do you expect. Next year - COME.

5. Here's the part where I slap performers on the hand. Allow me to take this opportunity to share a basic lesson in polite behavior. SCHOLASTIC WORLD - you were the GUILTIEST of this!!! Shame shame. When a guard is performing - DON'T enter the bleachers. NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! WAIT until the performance is over and THEN find your seat. Don't stand in the aisles talking, don't run up and down with pop corn, don't screeech to mom "HERE, I'm HERE!" Stand up top, ....shut up till the last note of the music, ....and THEN find a seat in between guards. And directors, ....this is something you should REMIND your performers of on the way into the arena. The newbies probably don't know any better and let's face it - they are KIDS - remind them about rude behavior and how it shouldn't be tolerated.

Off my soap box now - and back to congratulating everyone on GREAT performances.

Fabulous year in Dayton - one of my all time faves.

Nice post; uniforms this year were GREAT! So many gorgeous things.. wish I had enough guards to buy them all and use them in the fall!

I agree that there was WAY too much moving around during performances, especially during the open class finals. I saw an entire family walking to their seats DURING a show. I couldn't believe it.

GREAT performances by all units this year. I really enjoyed the open classes this year and am looking forward to seeing many of those units in the world class next year.

I agree that there was WAY too much moving around during performances, especially during the open class finals. I saw an entire family walking to their seats DURING a show. I couldn't believe it.

At the SWPR there were facility people holding back folks during performances, and the announcer made a few rather polite announcements about respecting performers. I would assume that would also be the case at World Championships.

Costumes? THE NEXT GUARD THAT USES GREY I AM GOING TO SHOOT!

It's disgusting!

Congratulations to my alma mater, Warren Central! Girls, you are always fabulous!

I'm really proud to be...WC

Sally

At the SWPR there were facility people holding back folks during performances, and the announcer made a few rather polite announcements about respecting performers. I would assume that would also be the case at World Championships.

Yes, some annoucements were made about respecting performers - even some about cameras and people still kept using their flashes- but people still moved around WAY too much. The facility people did a good job of keeping most people back from walking in during shows, but some people still made it in, but too late.

Oh well, I still thoroughly enjoyed the shows and weekend!

For me this was the best WGI ever because I got to watch them put a medel around my baby's neck. That being the highlight of my week. I loved world class finales. Although I think Nei should have been ahead of Blessed Sac. how they ended up 10th in movement is beyond me. This year as in 06 their movement has been amazing and a real departure from what they have done in the past in fact a departure from what all the other IW guards are doing. I think that deserves reward it is easy to follow the pack much harder to step out and be who you are. One thing is for sure you can't question their equipment skills and I'm glad to see they were 2nd in that caption.

As for SW I did not get Avons show while I thought it was preformed very well I did not get it. Logan on the other hand was breathtaking. Every year I say I just want the best guard on that night to win and they manage to be the best at finales every year. CONGRATs to them. Every year they have new kids but you can never tell who is a 1st member and who has been their a few years and that is a very diffacult thing to do.

Like a lot of people Pride was a little flat for me and I find that hard to say since I root for them each year. But I was not sitting in a judges seat so maybe I could not see what they saw. The 1 show I thought really should have scored higher was Corona that show was wonderful and the concept amazing I loved this show the most.

Any way there was nothing boaring about WGI this year. as always I was off my butt and on my feet clapping many times. A wonderful weekend of guard and I just enjoying being around people who share my love of the sport. It is nice not to have to explain guard to someone for a least 1 week out of the year.

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but how about the developmentally disabled guard who performed in exhibition? They were incredibly moving; it's a real attitude-adjustment moment when you realize that for them, just doing this stuff is an amazing achievement. And I was thrilled with how the audience responded. That must have been a once-in-a-lifetime moment for those guard members!

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but how about the developmentally disabled guard who performed in exhibition? They were incredibly moving; it's a real attitude-adjustment moment when you realize that for them, just doing this stuff is an amazing achievement. And I was thrilled with how the audience responded. That must have been a once-in-a-lifetime moment for those guard members!

Actually The Florida Special Olympics Color Guard fromally know as the Tammarc Bulldogs have been to WGI several times. They always make me cry. My heart goes out to these kids and adults. For me always a highlight of the weekend. I can only imagne how the crowd reaction makes them feel. A standing O makes everyone feel good but when your used to people looking at you with an "oh how sad face" a standing O must be 1 increditable moment. Thanks for entertaining us at WGI. A Huge thanks to the young ladies from south Florida who started this guard.