Which decade of DCI have you enjoyed the most?

You favorite DCI decade.  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Based on the actual shows, which decade of DCI have you enjoyed the most?

• 1970s - mostly symmetrical drill, non concept shows, ridiculously loud hornlines
    • 1980s - more complex drills, beginnings of concept shows, dancing guards, grounded pits
    • 1990s - full concept shows, more integration between all the sections
    • 2000s - more visual complexity, later added amps/singing/narration

I suppose that's a matter of personal opinion, but I've never heard a brass instructor use that phrase. When they want it loud they don't mean maybe.

I think he meant the term along the lines of 'That's just MAD loud'.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

90's Hands down.

It's interesting that people seem to overwhelmingly prefer the 80s/90s. Even though one assumes that users of this forum are more likely to have seen live corps in the 00s than in the 80s. (yes, that is an assumption).

As a follow-up, one could ask if people think that DCI has gone downhill in the last few years, and if so, why?

I've been following corps since the 60s and I marched in the lat 70s/early 80s. If I had to pick a 10-year stretch it would be 1985-1995.

While I don't think DCI has necessarily gone downhill in the 00s, I do think that most of the changes since 2000 are at best neutral in terms of improving the overall product.

p.s. the way the questions are posed basically implies that you would have to be a cave-dwelling troglodyte to prefer the 70s. Nice!

Edited by vferrera

2000s

The music is a lot better, the corps look a lot better. Deep, impactful shows. Hell, everything is just great.

I voted for the 1980's. The variety of sight and sound was great and the shows were really exciting and entertaining !!

I voted for the 1980's. The variety of sight and sound was great and the shows were really exciting and entertaining !!

This is why I voted for the 80's. Everyone had their own look and style, guards were a little more balanced in incorporating dance and precision together. I was really into drum corps from 1975-1995, and there wasn't too many shows I didn't like. Some one asked if Drum corps has gone down hill since the nineties. I would say no it hasn't gone down hill, but my enjoyment of it has.