Making the case for brass in WGI

Brass  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Should WGI allow brass instruments?

• Yes.

We've come to a point where winter drumlines have progressed to the point where drums, electronics, guitars, and synths just aren't doing it anymore. It's too restrictive. The activity is moving this way anyhow, with groups like the Blue Knights doing indoor brass anyhow. It's time to expand the instrumentation so that writers can have more choices. Let WGI have brass. That way, they can carry a melody.

:ramd:

I know this post is probably in jest, but out here in So Cal there is a drumline that actually has a small horn ensemble as part of their show. One of the local circuits has no rules (currently; maybe next year we'll have one) against horns, and this particular group is taking advantage of it.

Honestly, it's not working out too well for them...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you like woodwinds in drum corps?

no.

Wind instruments have concert season. You can say percussion does too, but percussionists rarely have exciting parts for concert music.

Leave WGI for percussion and guard.

~>conner

Wind instruments have concert season. You can say percussion does too, but percussionists rarely have exciting parts for concert music.

~>conner

Wrong

You know, of all the people berating me for supposedly being arrogant and not listening to people on the (ONE) thread I created, but I'm being much more civil that drumcat here...

We've come to a point where winter drumlines have progressed to the point where drums, electronics, guitars, and synths just aren't doing it anymore. It's too restrictive. The activity is moving this way anyhow, with groups like the Blue Knights doing indoor brass anyhow. It's time to expand the instrumentation so that writers can have more choices. Let WGI have brass. That way, they can carry a melody.

:ramd:

Careful now. You are starting to sound like Hop. If DCI can't have woodwinds, WGI shouldn't have brass.......AND THEY SHOULDN'T! NEITHER OF THEM!

- If you want summer bands, start a seperate circuit for it.

- If you want winter indoor marching brass & percussion theater, start a seperate circuit for it.

BOTH of these are great ideas. Lets just let drum corps be drum corps and winter drumline and guard be that.

Edited by passionatedc

I believe a Brass Theatre division would be cool or just a brass ensemble division. Of course I think in order to do this from an acoustic standpoint the shows which included this new division would need to be held in an arena of some sort. Instead of a high school gym for example these shows would need to be held in more acoustically friendly venues such as college basketball arenas or even arenas such as Nassau Coliseum on Long Island, NY or Staples Center in Los Angeles etc. Alot of Indoor Professional Football Teams play in these arenas so artificial turf would probably be available for WGI's use if negotiated with these venues for these units to use for movement and it would also help somewhat acoustically. This concept is probably a few years away from really happening but I think it would be a good time for WGI and everyone else in the activity to give this idea some consideration and see what the pro's and cons of doing this would be.

Michigan's indoor circuit has had "Indoor Band" for a few years now.

The only problem is a lack of participation - no one wants to do it.