SHOULD There be A Tie Breaker in WGI?

Should There Be A Tie Breaker?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. You Know What To Do

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe?
    • I Don't Care

With all the interesting discussion going on in the Judging Thread, let's get some numbers behind this. Plus people will vote in a poll where they wont post in a thread. :P

66 views & only 11 votes? I didn't know there were so many wimps on this board. <**>

Edited by garfield_cadets

I voted maybe and the only reason is because I would need to see what criteria you would base the tiebreaker on.

I think they're should be system that would not create ties, period, hence there wouldn't have to be a tie breaker......

I voted maybe and the only reason is because I would need to see what criteria you would base the tiebreaker on.

Good point, Trish! Any idea what should be used? I personally think it should be the skill level of the performers, individually and as an ensemble. The skill level of the group shows how well the instructors taught, and how well the members absorbed the knowledge and perfected it.

I think they're should be system that would not create ties, period, hence there wouldn't have to be a tie breaker......

Also a good point! I too would like to see such a system. Some say the ordinals (placement) is more important than the score. But the current system of scoring/judging contradicts that concept, as hard as it tries to adhere to it. Especially when you end up with ties.

In a pageant system (beauty pageant) I am a judge with, all contestants compete in a category, then they are ranked by each judge, both by impression, and by standard; which can then be broken down to a "set" standard, or ideal, and competition against the other contestants.

Would it be better for judges to "rank" each unit in finals, after ALL units have competed (refering to their notes, of course) from 1-15? The number of judges who have unit A in first would be the gold medalist?

Edited by garfield_cadets

Also a good point! I too would like to see such a system. Some say the ordinals (placement) is more important than the score. But the current system of scoring/judging contradicts that concept, as hard as it tries to adhere to it. Especially when you end up with ties.

The solution should be two-fold, place a tie-breaking system in place, and continue to ramp up judges training. The details, philosophical or otherwise, I'll leave up to the rest of you guys.

Edited by mpsanchez

The solution should be two-fold, place a tie-breaking system in place, and continue to ramp up judges training. The details, philosophical or otherwise, I'll leave up to the rest of you guys.

I wondered when you'd rear your head. :P

I wondered when you'd rear your head. :P

I meant.... Put a tie-breaking system in place, and continue to educate judges. I shouldn't reply to posts directly after waking. My brains are always a bit contwangled early morning (for me at least). Some folks get in a tissy about individual vs. ensemble this or sub-caption that. I thought championship scores were right on the target. Ties happen! Folks don't like them because they prefer a definite placement.

Edited by mpsanchez

i agree with the statement that there should be some sort of system where ties can not happen in championships in a finals round. there really has to be something that one guard does better to earn a slightly higher rating.