Spin or not to spin

MHSmirage

For the first time in a long time, I have the opprotunity to audition for a world guard that is really, REALLY close. The last time I performed was seven years ago with Alliance of Miami, but I fear that I'm bordering on 'old fart trying out'. I still plan on keeping my guard gig teaching/designing.....

My question is, when is it time to give up the performance and just teach?

For the first time in a long time, I have the opprotunity to audition for a world guard that is really, REALLY close. The last time I performed was seven years ago with Alliance of Miami, but I fear that I'm bordering on 'old fart trying out'. I still plan on keeping my guard gig teaching/designing.....

My question is, when is it time to give up the performance and just teach?

IMO Never give up! This isn't a genre like rock music where you just realize one day that you're too old. As long as you can keep up, go for it! You'll know when its time to teach only.

I, too, have be wondering this. I "aged out" in several years ago, and I've been considering returning in 2008. But, I worry I might not be able to keep up with the new kids (the old body isn't what it used to be).

I don't think it matters how old you are; I think that as long as you've got the dedication to stick with it and can afford it, then by all means.. get on out there and spin!! (and I suppose I ought to take my own advice).

I say go for it. Unless you try, you'll never know if you could make it or not.

Just the experience of auditioning a world class unit will help you as an instructor, and give you something to relate to the kids you teach with.

I agree with iamnivtop, you'll know when it's time to bow out.

Good Luck! :)

If you still have that burning desire to perform, then do it. You'll do whatever it takes to get the job done!

I didn't have that opportunity. I had aged out by the time I traveled with Menagerie back in the early '80s. I helped out with makeup and uniform, and at rehearsals, I filled spots for people who were absent, so I knew that show backwards and forwards. And I can't tell you how much it broke my heart to go to each show and not be able to perform. But I couldn't because the rules said I was too old.

So if you want to spin, go ahead and spin! I no longer have that burning desire to perform; for whatever reason, it finally dissipated about 10 years ago. But as long as that feeling is with you, you'll be a great guard member!

For the first time in a long time, I have the opprotunity to audition for a world guard that is really, REALLY close.

I just figured out what guard you are talking about, if you are at the current location as stated by your profile!

I'd say go for it for sure, that'll be a good group next year if its the one I'm thinkin!

Except for those rehearsal days your knees are begging you to sit... :laugh:

True. I'm currently dealing with a frozen shoulder, plus neck stiffness, plus bad knees, plus pain in the hip area (all caused by osteoarthritis). So if my body weren't begging me to sit, then I'll bet other guard members would be, LOL! :P