2007 DCI Classic Countdown Review

I just got back from the Classic Countdown viewing in Medina, Ohio. I attended the show with Jeff Mlakar (Glassmen 2002-2004). Unfortunately, we were about 1/5th of the audience tonight, as, apparently, Medina is just too out of the way for drum corps fans in NE Ohio. The plus side, however, was that we had plenty of room and the atmosphere was like watching in your living room with a small group of fellow drum corps fanatics. I met a member of the Kilties who was in town for the weekend and decided to catch the countdown here, as well as members of the Brunswick, Ohio, marching band.

For those of you who didn't go, here's the top 8 in reverse order of finish:

8. 1987 Garfield Cadets

7. 1980 Bridgemen

6. 1993 Star of Indiana

5. 1994 Blue Devils

4. 2006 Cavaliers

3. 2006 Phantom Regiment

2. 1995 Madison Scouts

1. 1989 Santa Clara Vanguard

While we were small in number, we were large in our appreciation of the shows, especially as the countdown got closer to the top. Of course, shows like 95 Madison are going to elicit a high level of primal approval, but we did have an issue with transmission during the opener of the show where the sound dropped out for a minute or two. Fortunately, sound returned in all it's loud drum corps glory and we got Malaga full out.

There was an issue during some shows where quiet moments seemed to significantly drop in volume, not just because the corps was playing quietly. I don't know if that was a recording issue, a transmission issue, or an issue with the theater's sound system. The manager of the theater did fulfill our request to crank the volume, for which we were quite grateful.

Overall, I really enjoyed the show. They didn't go overboard with filler items, just a tour of Pasadena for those of us heading to Finals this summer. There was no intermission, but with eight shows, there wasn't a need for one. My only disappointment is that they didn't close out the show with something like America/O Canada or the Madison Scouts Alumni Reunion Project performance. That would have been a nice surprise.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back and I think it was the best one yet. Loved the Bridgemen saw many old friends. Jimmy you still look good. Ahh memories. 94 BD the undefeated year. Oh Roland. The best was Madison 95 the memories of my favorite year of all time. Danny and Efrain, you made our dreams come true. Star an awsome year and the last. SCV my favorite year. Cadets and the Copeland year and the perfect drum score. Cavies I could go on and on and on. And how could I forget the Phantom Regiment. That's the way drum corps should be and I am glad I have the memories to live on. DCI nice production. To Michael and Steve, two old familar faces of Corps. This made my night.

For some reason only about 30 people were in the theatre in Columbia, MD. They usually have a good amout there.

Oh by the way the sound was not LOUD ENOUGH . I asked once for them to turn it up and someone else did. I have been to movies that were louder.

Edited by beagus

We had a fairly nice turnout over in Valley View, OH; I'm estimating 30-40 people. It wasn't as lively as previous years, I was the only person leading the applause during the shows.

Volume again was a factor...just didn't cut it for me. I probably should've talked with the manager like you did.

We had a fairly nice turnout over in Valley View, OH; I'm estimating 30-40 people. It wasn't as lively as previous years, I was the only person leading the applause during the shows.

Volume again was a factor...just didn't cut it for me. I probably should've talked with the manager like you did.

I didn't even have to talk to the manager. She came into the theater and asked us if it was loud enough during the preview slides, then went and cranked it when the show started. Gotta like that. :D

How was the picture in Valley View? That's a state-of-the-art theater, after all.

I just got back and I think it was the best one yet. Loved the Bridgemen saw many old friends. Jimmy you still look good. Ahh memories.

Ahhh...Thanks, Bea!!! :tic:

I wish I still LOOKED that young!!! (Sans the shaggy "do"!!!) :lol:

By the way, the sound in North Brunswick, NJ was GREAT!

The attendance was down about 50% from last year, but, it was a good, drum corps crowd!

Looking forward to seeing you in Reading!!! B)

Hey Jim,

When it comes to drum corps I sure miss New Jersey. I was the only person clapping and showing any excitement. Needless to say my Husband did not go with me, so I was all alone. But hey it's drum corps so who cares. :lol: .I still wish that the sound was louder. Love my drum corps louder than life.lol

See you in Reading!

Hello? I came late in NJ but I was clapping too!

I went to the Countdown in Patchogue, NY.

Small tournout, but I saw old friends I hadn't seen in over 10 years and another friend in over 20 years.

The audio volume was terrible. Several people went to the management. They tried turning up the volume but apparantly were having technical difficulties. Finally during the 3rd corps (Star) the manager came in and said if we agreed, they would stop the show, reset and hopefully increase the volume. All agreed and after a short break, we saw the whole show at a better volume. Still could have been louder in my opinion.

All in all, I enjoyed the show.

My opinion and mine only, why Star 93??? I obviously can't deny they were good but just don't care for that show - didn't back then either. Not sure how they made it to the countdown by popular vote.

And Star '93 is my favorite show of all time.

Different choices for different people.

I saw the show in Ithaca, NY with an alumni/mini-corps buddy. The turn out was small; about 30 with the largest identifiable group being ex-Watkins Glen Squires compatriots of Steve Rondinaro. There was also an Ithaca College group with some Crossmen jackets noted. Though small, it seemed like an appreciative audience.

We had too little volume as well, but after a couple visits to the management by audience members, they finally got it right. I had a good time, but have a problem with the format for selecting the corps which resulted in too many repeats from the previous two years' shows which I already have on DVD. I think part of the rules should have been top eight, but prior DCI Cinema selectees excluded. For example, although I agree that 1980 Bridgemen's show is an all-time great, I had just watched it on my DVD of the 2006 show that very day! I much rather would have liked to have seen 1978 Bridgemen (which I voted for excluding all the former years' Cinema corps in my choices).

I hope they change the selection criteria next year to avoid repeats.