Madison Scouts Open House 4/29

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's The winner of my old old member shirt ,new member Tyler Wood.

metyler.jpg

Something that never ceases to amaze me...and also makes me quite proud, is how much interest any discussion of the Scouts will generate...positive OR negative (and usually quite passionate). This thread is already 6 pages long and there are still some 30 people reading it here at 10:40pm cst. It seems that win or lose, fail or succeed, people are still as interested in the Scouts as ever...maybe more-so NOW! As a FMM nothing could make me happier! :D

I can't wait to see what they put out on the field this year. I'm as excited now as I've ever been in the last few years, and hold my expectations even higher. From what I've heard and read, it seems like the corps is on the right track. Give 'em hell boys!

Oh, and one more thing...BYBO!!!! ^0^

As the Director of Capital Sound, I just wanted to add a couple of things here...

First off, thanks to everyone who was there...having the stands filled, and with standing room, it was a great chance for both corps to test run their shows. Also, the crowd responses to both shows was awesome.

jjeffeory - nice review...thanks for the love, and the great review. Yes, we do have more baritones - as well as more horns as a whole. State solo/ensembles, other school committments, and timing prevented the hornline from being complete - in fact, we were missing slightly less than 1/2 (10 out of 24). However, I was really happy with their performance. As for our percussion, well the percussion gods have really smiled upon us this year. 7sn/4tn/5bs/4cym/8pit. Yes, that's 28 - 4 more than the horns...but, when the horns play out, they project quite nicely, and actually blend well with the large drum line.

More importantly is the fact that having both corps got to blend and mingle. Many in the activity put such a reverence on D-I corps, while sometimes slighting the D-II/III groups. Today was a great chance for both corps to realize just how similar they are...and that both share the same desire to experience drum corps to its fullest, with everything that the concept entails. The only difference is size. Not even our talent levels are that different.

Kudos to the Scouts and everyone who attended...you gave our members a great response, and jolt of confidence. In turn, while not presenting as much content as Madison, I sincerely hope that we gave you an entertaining glimpse at what Capital Sound will be bringing to the field this year.

Like the Scouts, we are looking forward to giving drum corps fans what they want: Entertaining drum corps.

It's great to see the 2 corps working together again. No two corps sharing the same hometown (especially a city with the rich corps tradition as Madison has) should ever be fully separate.

Edited by BigBadMadMan

I had the pleasure of attending today too. LOVED the Scouts show. Musically it seems to be SO very there. I pray it translates to the field. Each piece has some some serious "f% yeah" moments.

On my way to the parking lot, the DM was getting into the new uniform between two cars. The description by Jeffeory nails it. I only had a moment to look. Love the thingies coming off the sholders to give them more presence, but he was right, my eyes immediately went to the diagonal shades of green that separated the white from the dark green. I am not one to make snap judgments so I'll just put the description out there. It is interesting.

Sounds like a great time was had in Madison. After being in the area for so many Open House performances, I truly am jonesing for drum corps and the reviews have been awesome. Thanks everyone.

So to recap...Capital Sound, Blue Stars and Madison Scouts in concert.

I haven't yet heard much about the Blue Stars performance.

As far as Capital Sound, I have a great relationship with one of their board members and he has told me all the reallly smart things this corps is doing to prepare for the future. It sounds like they are building a great base of talent and will be force to reckon with in the Midwest for years to come. They are also doing a great amount of community outreach and this will set up great relationships to build long term health for their organization. Madison is definitely a town that can support two quality drum corps organizations.

Again, I really wish I could hear more about the Blue Stars performance.

As for the Scouts, I admit...I was one who said early on that this might be a tough season for them. It sounds like the beginning of the season is off on the right foot. I have never doubted the talent with their staff. I just know how difficult a job it can be to recruit when an entire staff turns over from last year. It sounds like 65 brass, about 35 percussion and a DM. I've hear mention a coupe of times how young they look, but given a complete staff turnover, this is not surprising.

I know it's early to talk about guard numbers, but if my calculations are correct, 30-35 spots available for guard. This would make their guard a perfect size to match the visual components of this show. The visual aspects mentioned in the reviews sound like a very high powered, "in your face" opening and then a complete change of pace for the Pei Jesu. The pair of tangos set a different mood reminding me of the 1995 era production. Boxes perhaps?

So, are the Scouts still recruiting guard? Because if they are and this year is going to be anything like the 1995 show...it will be an awesome opportunity to be part of this production.

The trumpet player people are talking about Bobby, goes to school at Vandercook and has a long history in drum corps and definitely has chops. I believe he even marched for the Pio Indoor Drum Line this year and they took gold, so he's got drum chops as well...sounds like a good all around musician.

Sometimes Pioneer and Kilties have been part of the Open House as well. Too bad these groups couldn't have also been there as it would have made for an even more awesome preseason opener. The Kilties have always brought the house to their feet at past Open House performances and Pioneer sounds like their drumline should be smoking hot. If their brass and guard can match that intensity, Wisconsion will have a good 2007.

I look forward to more good news from Dairyland.

Sounds like a great time was had in Madison. After being in the area for so many Open House performances, I truly am jonesing for drum corps and the reviews have been awesome. Thanks everyone.

So to recap...Capital Sound, Blue Stars and Madison Scouts in concert.

I haven't yet heard much about the Blue Stars performance.

Tom, I wish Blue Stars was there. Sadly, they were probably rehearsing in La Crosse! I can't wait to see them this year.

I'm going to miss the unis from this past year. I thought they were really really nice, and it just doesn't seem practical to get rid of them after one year.

~>conner