Conquest, best recording of...

You know, I never have been a fan of Conquest.

Keep in mind, I don't say this to disparage the BAC organization, but only one of the songs they chose!

It was written in 1948 for a Movie. It is not that great of a tune, IMHO.

As a part of a show, to me it is lacking. It is good as a corps signature tune...(keep in mind that is IS NOT BAC's offical corps song..that song is "Giant") but not worthy of inclusion in a show.

I'll put on my asbestos undies now..

You may want to listen to the 1970 Boston Crusaders at CYO Nationals. Old school at it's finest.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try 1990, the last year they played the 'full' version. With the best DCI corps they had through that time.

I'm still waiting for a complete Captain From Castille Show. With the talent they have writing for them they should be able to get 11 1/2 minutes of good stuff from that score. Plus a more 'original' rendition of Conquest with the original 'calls' would have jaws dropping from both old schoolers and new schoolers.

It's the show we almost did in 1990 but used Coronation from Boris Goudinov instead as the opener.

There are a lot of versions out there that are worthy but this is my favorite.

Dave

BAC '87-'90

'91 was the first year of not ending with Conquest. We would leave the field with a drum tap - no sort of applause as the crowd thought we were preparing Conquest. Later, the applause would start. The staff told us not to get discouraged as the crowd would react once it realized that we WERE actually leaving without Conquest.

We did not know about the "encore" Conquest at Semi-finals until we were headed to Dallas from Little Rock. The crowd reaction for the surprise Conquest made up for the rest of the summer.

As for this topic - '91 is not a good recording. It's the calls and the hits - that's it. We got off the field with 2 seconds to spare before the penalty.

I have long felt, and often expressed it else where in this forum, that CONQUEST was one of the best OTLs ever. From an old school perspective, which is now the only place where place where Off The Lines still exist, citing CONQUEST as best is a heck of a statement…considering the Troopers HOW THE WEST WAS WON, Cavies TEN COMANDMENTS and many other older classics.

I would strongly recommend, as “endsnare” did, the 1970 version…only I suggest the VFW Nationals, Vol. II. The Crusaders finished second to the Troopers by .7 in the finals, beating Cavaliers, Blessed Sac., Kilties and 27th.

One of my favorite soprano solos of all time!

1990 was nice because it was a full CofC show. I personally enjoy it best because of my experience in playing the song in 1989 with the combined hornlines of Madison and BAC. I also have to make mention of 1986. The hornline was on fire!!!! They were small ... but POWERFUL! One of my all time favorite years of BAC was 86. I even wish they would go back to the look they had then. Black pants ... white shoes ... AWESOME TOES :)

Walt - Didn't know you were back with Reilly. I'm sure you're making your usual outstanding contribution.

On the question: '69 in Philly or '70 in Miami were both outstanding shows. I think the '69 show is on one of their souvie CD's. Hawthorne did a pretty credible job with the jazz version in '75 or '76. Interesting to compare the two geniuses Shelmer and Tuthill.

Take care.

Wayne

Best year for "Conquest"? Well, the University of Southern California Trojan Marching Band (aka Greatest Marching Band in the History of the Universe) plays an outstanding version near the end of every football game the Trojans win - so we hear it often

Fight On!

Ya.....but they're a band b**bs

BAC - 'nuff said. Funny because in 69 and 70, all corps were "local" corps - and kids from Boston hated the kids from Revere, or Charlestown or Madison or Casper. Those corps were like legal street gangs. When BAC played Conquest in that era, they meant to CONQUER their enemies.

In the later DCI years, BAC and all other corps became "universal" and while their certainly was loyalty and commitement, it only lasts during the year in which the person marches. When BAC plays Conquest now, it is with passion and dedication, but it simply is not with the same emotion.

LancerLegend:

How true! It was amaziing how Boston was not treated well by their local fans. They were so jealous of the sucess of the corps headed by Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Dowling. To their credit they ran that corps on a dime. Dues were $1.00 per week, just imagine producing a National Championship Corps on that budget.

Also, as you said it was all local neighborhood kids who joined the corps. There were very few out of the area members. I believe in the 70 corps their may have been one member from N.J, (St. Lucy's - GIO), and two members from Canada( Governor & Senator).

But one BAC (BAD ### CRUSADERS) left the Boston area, the were adored by the fans.

I know the members of the corps would stand on the starting line just waiting to bust down the stands with Conquest.

In 1970 at the Orange Bowl, Boston did the show of their life. Just 3 weeks before people said they were dead, but with hard work in that 3 week period of the members and the staff they put it together. I remember sitting in the stands with other BAC Alum and also sitting with Blessed Sac's Alum, and has the corps went off the field playing "California Dreamin" by the MOMAS and PAPAS, SAC's Alum turned around and said, "Their go your National Champions"!!

Jimmy Sentarino was at his best that night in his solo of Conquest!!

Old School at it's best and Henry Mancini would have been proud of that performance.

"Just thinking of the good old days"!!!!

CODI