Conquest, best recording of...

"Early 'Conquest's'":

St Vincents Cadets did a great job (Considering just WHAT they were playing on, "Back Then") on their versions of "Conquest". The late great Jim Donnelly arranged and re-arranged the tune several times for them. It can heard on many of the old Stetson Richmond tapes and records.

Elphaba

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank god for Stetson Richmond. A man before his time. We have some great memories. Also, it is nice to Fleetwood reproducing their recordings on CD's.

I know all their tapes were lost in a fire, and thank god some people were able to keep their LP's in pristine condtion!

Now everyone can share what it was back in the good old days.

CODI

"Early 'Conquest's'":

St Vincents Cadets did a great job (Considering just WHAT they were playing on, "Back Then") on their versions of "Conquest". The late great Jim Donnelly arranged and re-arranged the tune several times for them. It can heard on many of the old Stetson Richmond tapes and records.

Elphaba

Didn't the Cambridge Caballeros also have a pretty hot (for the time) arrangement?

Didn't the Cambridge Caballeros also have a pretty hot (for the time) arrangement?

"Cambridge & "Conquest"":

They did indeed have a great chart on 'Conquest'. Al Saia was the arranger-instructor for the corps. You can get a great recording of it/them on the 1961 VFW Nationals series from Fleetwood.

Elphaba

"Another Caballeros "Conquest'":

The Hawthorne Caballeros actually played a version of "Conquest". It 'May' have never made it to the competition field, but it DID make it to a Fleetwood Record. It again, "May" be one of the BEST versions of this tune. That these guys are getting THAT kind of a sound out of those old valve/slide GD Getzens is incredible. :rolleyes:

Joe Genero may be the arranger, and the number can be heard on side #1 of Fleetwoods "Music of the Hawthorne Caballeros", in concert and competion, which was recorded in 1961.

If there are any Caballeros "Old Timers" out there that can shed some light on this, please feel free to comment.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

I liked most of Boston's versions. I marched in 1980 and so thats the one I liked the most. I came to Boston after marching with other corps. Whatever you may want to say about the tune it was magical to me. It is the tune I hear in my head when I think of my time with Boston and its the tune I make my kids listen to over and over. For me in an 8 year drum corps career playing conquest and hearing the reaction of every crowd was the highlight of my marching career.

Ken Votre

No matter the year, there's nothing like the crowd reaction to Conquest at the Dot Day Parade.

"Another Caballeros "Conquest'":

The Hawthorne Caballeros actually played a version of "Conquest". It 'May' have never made it to the competition field, but it DID make it to a Fleetwood Record. It again, "May" be one of the BEST versions of this tune. That these guys are getting THAT kind of a sound out of those old valve/slide GD Getzens is incredible. :blush:

Joe Genero may be the arranger, and the number can be heard on side #1 of Fleetwoods "Music of the Hawthorne Caballeros", in concert and competion, which was recorded in 1961.

If there are any Caballeros "Old Timers" out there that can shed some light on this, please feel free to comment.

Elphaba

:rock:

I remember the Cabs playing 'Conquest' as an opener (OTL) in '75..I believe it was a version of the Mancini arrangement ( really swung, and knocked my socks off). I saw them here in Minneapolis at Legion Nationals that year..the thing that made it so cool was the steel drums they had..adding that to the standard 'latin' section, made for a really unique sound.

I'm still partial to BAC's version from the 80's, I had never seen them until about 82 or 83. :angry:

Pat