Conquest, best recording of...

The BAC Jazz vesion..... 1969

The Henry Mancini Chart

For some reason that year is my favorite..... b**bs

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I never have been a fan of Conquest.

Keep in mind, I don't say this to disparage the BAC organization, but only one of the songs they chose!

It was written in 1948 for a Movie. It is not that great of a tune, IMHO.

As a part of a show, to me it is lacking. It is good as a corps signature tune...(keep in mind that is IS NOT BAC's offical corps song..that song is "Giant") but not worthy of inclusion in a show.

I'll put on my asbestos undies now..

Personally I see no reason why you'd need them, EVERYONE is entitled to their own opinion. IMHO, (and having played it) I do like it... :grouphug:

Ya.....but they're a band b**bs

BAC - 'nuff said. Funny because in 69 and 70, all corps were "local" corps - and kids from Boston hated the kids from Revere, or Charlestown or Madison or Casper.

True for the most part.... My wife (married now 36 yrs) was from Charlestown and Revere She marched in the Rifle Line with the Majestic Knights (Charlestown, '63-'68) and then with the merger of St. Kevin's and Majestic in 1969. (St. Kevin's Majestic Knights, Dorchester, Mass.)

Those corps were like legal street gangs. When BAC played Conquest in that era, they meant to CONQUER their enemies.

A much different "era" of DC in those days....

In the later DCI years, BAC and all other corps became "universal" and while their certainly was loyalty and commitement, it only lasts during the year in which the person marches. When BAC plays Conquest now, it is with passion and dedication, but it simply is not with the same emotion.

Tony B)

Edited by TennTux

Boston's 1969 version tops my list, too. Jim Centerino on the soprano solo!

DCA's Sunrisers did a pretty good job with "Conquest" for their opener in 1968.

Fran

Fran

Darn, forgot all about that version. And Orus Kavnor jumps into the lead for great drum writing.

Somebody keep reminding me that there was life before "Proocession on the Nobles" :grouphug:

Darn, forgot all about that version. And Orus Kavnor jumps into the lead for great drum writing.

Somebody keep reminding me that there was life before "Proocession on the Nobles" :grouphug:

So who's going to post '69? I've never had the pleasure of hearing it .. and have searched endlessly to get my hands on a version. Since it's not DCI domain, I see no reason why someone can't upload it somewhere ........ PRETTY PLEASE ! :)

Fran

Yes, Sun 68 Conquest was a good version. If I remember correctly, DCN had a front page shot of the OTL with a drill move that was in it's day quite interesting. Plus, the baritones playing the lead parts near the end, put several small animals out of their misery.

But, I lean toward Tony's BAC 69 with Centorino. That one number could take the wrinkles out of a damp shirt.

You know, I never have been a fan of Conquest.

Keep in mind, I don't say this to disparage the BAC organization, but only one of the songs they chose!

It was written in 1948 for a Movie. It is not that great of a tune, IMHO.

As a part of a show, to me it is lacking. It is good as a corps signature tune...(keep in mind that is IS NOT BAC's offical corps song..that song is "Giant") but not worthy of inclusion in a show.

I'll put on my asbestos undies now..

I find Giant only being played one year, 1958 by the Crusaders. How is it that Giant is the corps song. I find Conquest listed maybe 25 or 30 times. Also, I've seen on PBS where BAC plays 6 notes of Conquest with the high leg kick and the crowd goes nuts.

Please explain.

I find Giant only being played one year, 1958 by the Crusaders. How is it that Giant is the corps song. I find Conquest listed maybe 25 or 30 times. Also, I've seen on PBS where BAC plays 6 notes of Conquest with the high leg kick and the crowd goes nuts.

Please explain.

The number of times a corps plays a tune, does not mean it is their "corps song." I've been familiar with BAC since the early 1960's, and while Conquest certainly makes the hair on my neck stand, the true theme song of Boston has been Giant.

Now, that is not to say that the audience does go crazy when a corps plays a certain tune - and Boston and Conquest are synonymous. Perhaps you are familiar with the 27th Lancers and Danny Boy, that was a very effective relationship.

Boston has not played the full boat version of Conquest since......a long long time. I think it was an attempt by their staff to forge into something new - and not rest their laurels on the past. I think it was in 2000, or 2001 that BAC played a few notes - as if to go into Conquest and the audience was really caught off guard. It was a great teaser blended into a great show and kept me enjoying their show even more.

If BAC has the guns to break into that top 5 or top 4 again, and they retrieve Conquest as an exit, they very well might bring the house down.

Please explain.

The 6 notes was the preemptive strike to the big hit of Conquest. The 6 notes also had gaps where the crowd and performers inserted a "HOO" and a primal screen following the 6th note ... and then the HIT! This was tradition for the better part of 2 decades in BAC. I was at finals in 2000 when they used this teaser and I chanted the HOO"s and the HAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .. and everyone around me thought I was nuts. It struck me then that just about everyone around me had no clue :) I can't wait to do it again .... someday .... maybe :laugh: