Conquest, best recording of...

The number of times a corps plays a tune, does not mean it is their "corps song." I've been familiar with BAC since the early 1960's, and while Conquest certainly makes the hair on my neck stand, the true theme song of Boston has been Giant.

Thanks for the information LL. I guess that's like the NY Skyliners corps song "Oklahoma" with Garbarina lyrics. They didn't play "Oklahoma" all that much, 1954/1966, but would sing Garbarina/Oklahoma as they went into battle.

Edited by gsksun4

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If BAC has the guns to break into that top 5 or top 4 again, and they retrieve Conquest as an exit, they very well might bring the house down.

From this page to BAC's staff's eyes!

I could only imagine if a DCI corps went "old school", complete with high legs, high volume and a full blown company front for a closer. There could be no better corps to do it than the Boston Crusaders and no better piece to do it with than "Conquest".

LancerLegend is dead-on...that would bring the house down and leave 'em standing for a long, long time.

"I could only imagine if a DCI corps went "old school", complete with high legs, high volume and a full blown company front for a closer. There could be no better corps to do it than the Boston Crusaders and no better piece to do it with than Conquest"

Rudidrummer73, it would be amazing..... it worked when boston had twenty something brass players

how about 64 in your face

Edited by SKEK_SOP

Yes, Sun 68 Conquest was a good version. If I remember correctly, DCN had a front page shot of the OTL with a drill move that was in it's day quite interesting. Plus, the baritones playing the lead parts near the end, put several small animals out of their misery.

But, I lean toward Tony's BAC 69 with Centorino. That one number could take the wrinkles out of a damp shirt.

hehe...Jim Centorino was teaching the Lynn Continentals in 1968 and "invited" me to join BAC for the 1969 season.

Definitely my favorite year in Jr Corps..... :rolleyes:

Edited by TennTux

I find Giant only being played one year, 1958 by the Crusaders. How is it that Giant is the corps song. I find Conquest listed maybe 25 or 30 times. Also, I've seen on PBS where BAC plays 6 notes of Conquest with the high leg kick and the crowd goes nuts.

Please explain.

They sing it before every show, from what I understand Giant has a lot of meaning with the corps.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

Some years, Giant is also used as the brassline's on-field warm-up.

As for meaning, back in (Sorry, got to go. My 8:00 class is coming in.)

Maybe a certain someone with a tux could explan what that very special meaning is. Unless of course it's sacred territory.

It's sacred and we don't go around publishing the words..., we don't go through huge lengths to keep it secret either.

Let's just say you're welcome to find out for yourself, if you can get close enough to listen to the words when they sing before every show you'll know.

Similar traditions in other corps are MYNWA with Madison & Oh Holy Name with Cadets.

mmm... just realized that the two above mentioned corps are the only DCI corps that have been around longer than BAC.

Dave

BAC '87-'91

"I could only imagine if a DCI corps went "old school", complete with high legs, high volume and a full blown company front for a closer. There could be no better corps to do it than the Boston Crusaders and no better piece to do it with than Conquest"

Rudidrummer73, it would be amazing..... it worked when boston had twenty something brass players

how about 64 in your face

I was one of the 20 something members of the hornline in 79 Bari. we bought the house down everyshow with the show we did, and never mind the teaser of leaving the feel to a drum solo only to turn around and blast conquest.. I was lucky to be a member of BAC for 2 seasons 78 and 79. The thought of hearing the crowd everyshow has my hairs on my neck standing. I have always thought bout a corps going old school be it Boston, Madison 75 type show.. SVC mid 70's show.. blue devils just to see the crowd go nuts....

thanks for the memories again and keep it going

DustyG

67-70 Norwood MA Continentals

71-77 21st Lancers

78-79 BAC

I was one of the 20 something members of the hornline in 79 Bari. we bought the house down everyshow with the show we did, and never mind the teaser of leaving the feel to a drum solo only to turn around and blast conquest.. I was lucky to be a member of BAC for 2 seasons 78 and 79. The thought of hearing the crowd everyshow has my hairs on my neck standing. I have always thought bout a corps going old school be it Boston, Madison 75 type show.. SVC mid 70's show.. blue devils just to see the crowd go nuts....

thanks for the memories again and keep it going

DustyG

67-70 Norwood MA Continentals

71-77 21st Lancers

78-79 BAC