Just got some recordings of 86 and 87 Florida Wave, and I must say that they played one heck of a good arrangement of coconut champagne. It really is exciting. Shame they never made finals <**> , considering how many years they were so close.

Any thoughts/ opinions?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got some recordings of 86 and 87 Florida Wave, and I must say that they played one heck of a good arrangement of coconut champagne. It really is exciting. Shame they never made finals <**> , considering how many years they were so close.

Any thoughts/ opinions?

Nothing except to add how proud we Miami Vanguards alumni were of them. Of all of us who hung around the activity after our time had passed, Jo Wessman did more for Miami drum corps than any of us who grew up with her.

I haven't heard those years, but I saw them in Whitewater in '89. Awesome show. Great soloists.

Any thoughts/ opinions?

Where did you get the recordings?? 1989 was the only time I saw them - cool arrangement of Malaga

Wave was good in 86, when they totally revamped their marching style, and they were really good in 87. That 13th was no fluke. They were that clean.

Except one of those two years they didn't use timpani. and that's just not right.

Edited by tommytimp

Anytime I ever saw Florida Wave live, it was like walking on the beach on a warm summer night. Their music and uniform

projected that image quite vividly. Coconut Champagne was one of my favorite charts in both '86 and '87.

I recently wrote about Wave in my Drum Corps World column. At one time they were based in a state psychiatric hospital. I later had an e-mail from their director Steve Rondinaro who confirmed the story, and mentioned that there would often be psychiatric patients lurking around their rehearsals. Brings strange images to mind.

I remember them from the very first drum corps show I went to in 1989. I thought they were very entertaining. I also remember seeing them as an extremely tiny unit in 1990 and then they were gone.

As I pretty much always say, we could use more open class corps and I wish they were still around to be a part of it. I watched the top 25 from 1987 a few times, about 14 years ago or so. I wish I could remember more about those corps that were in the 13-25 slots.

Anytime I ever saw Florida Wave live, it was like walking on the beach on a warm summer night. Their music and uniform

projected that image quite vividly. Coconut Champagne was one of my favorite charts in both '86 and '87.

I recently wrote about Wave in my Drum Corps World column. At one time they were based in a state psychiatric hospital. I later had an e-mail from their director Steve Rondinaro who confirmed the story, and mentioned that there would often be psychiatric patients lurking around their rehearsals. Brings strange images to mind.

The State Hospital in Pembroke Pines had an incredible amount of usable land.

As you are involved in recording the past, the list of directors of GMBDBC/Vanguards/Wave on the program I received from the 2000 reunion (had to cancel at the last moment) was:

Caesar LaMonica

Ed Burke

Bill Hayes

Dick Filkins

Val Capone

Lee Shields

Jeff Bridges

Jo Wessman

Just to keep the record straight :)