its really cool to hear these stories about wave and other corps that were just as good as others, but just so happned to miss the big day by a few

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another cool thing that happened with the Knights was in the mid '80's, when they signed with the Knights Inn motel chain. They changed their corps colors from red and black to the Knights Inn corporate colors of purple and silver/gray. They received financial support from the company for most of the remainder of their existence.

Each and every Knights Inn around the country had a color photo of the Knights Drum & Bugle Corps hanging in the lobby.

Another cool thing that happened with the Knights was in the mid '80's, when they signed with the Knights Inn motel chain. They changed their corps colors from red and black to the Knights Inn corporate colors of purple and silver/gray. They received financial support from the company for most of the remainder of their existence.

Each and every Knights Inn around the country had a color photo of the Knights Drum & Bugle Corps hanging in the lobby.

That's only half true. We changed color before the sponsorship was official (a fella named Prince had made purple popular all of a sudden), but it certainly was the icing on the cake. As far as I know they gave us very little support financially, and when Limited Edition came out, they got all the Knights Inn funds. Now Knights Inn, the Knights, and Limited Edition are all toe-up.

Don't let this happen to you.

I think they were sponsors, but we never had a lot of money. Ever. Not while I was there. "Major" is a relative term here, I think. we wanted a lot of cash, but I just don't think it ever happened. There were rumors of free rooms, pool time, new uniforms, etc. Never happened. We carried the name on our truck, but I never heard of any tangible benefits, unlike Sabian, who gave us free cymbals, and Regal Tip, who sticked out the battery in 86.

Hello fellow Corpsmen & Corpswomen! After lurking on this forum for the past year, someone finally posts a subject on which I feel qualified to comment!

I was a tenor drummer in the 1980 Florida Vanguards and, regretfully, that was the only year I ever marched in drum corps. I don't know if the experience scared me away from the activity, or if I just used my financial situation at the time as an excuse not to go for it again, but I was 17 at the time, and I had no idea what I was getting into. I guess the only reason I didn't quit & go home was the fact that my home life pretty much sucked. But I learned a lot, played some really cool music, and I have some great stories that I hope to share with you guys!

Didn't Ken Brooks and Jerry Kelsey go down there in 1983? We were teaching the Renegades (NY) in '82 and were suppose to become the Royal Legacy. We had a corporate sponsor and things looked good until a director was caught with funds or something. Then all the staff took off to wherever.

Wow, a Florida Wave topic!!!!!!!!

Let's see.....

We did practice at the South Florida State Mental Hospital thru 1987. Our field was right by a minimum security section. We would often have visitors and some "characters" checking us out. I have some funny stories, lol.......

Steve Rondinaro left the corps after 1985, my rookie year. Jo Wessman took over and was the main reason Wave stayed afloat and got stronger. When she left in 1989, the corps quickly disintegrated. The best year of the corps was 1987 and we missed Finals by .6 (.5 and a .1 penalty.... thanks Dean! lol). In 1989, we finished 18th the first year semifinals became top 17. Just about all of the staff that had been with corps since the mid 80's were fired and just about all the vets did not go back. Members scattered to Star, SCV, Bluecoats, Colts, and myself and three others went to BD. Wave limped along thru 1990 and folded in July of 1991, after doing the DCE tour as a Div 3 corps. I was the brass instructor for all 13 horns, lol.

Jerry Kelsey was the brass arranger starting in 1985 (he took over for Chris Sharp) and would pop in and out of tour every now and then thru 1989. Kenny Brooks was around in 1988 and 1989 if I recall correctly.

Good times.....

In '80, we rehearsed at a field by the drivers license exam post. The state hospital was next to the field. We did a march-thru performance at the hospital, that was...weird. I was the lone tenor drummer until the other tenor returned from his cruise. He should have stayed out to sea. Then they pulled a snare to play tenor & he was a good sport about it. Our scores were in the basement, in the negative numbers! We didn't care, as long as we finished above Suncoast Sound. But the best thing about being in Class B was that we got to sit back and watch the big boys (Spirit, Bridgemen, Phantom, Crossmen, North Star) over & over again!

When we returned to Pembroke Pines after the first tour, several people quit and they were pulling people off the street to march with us. Man, I was getting tired of having to teach newbies the tenor parts. By this time, we were rehearsing at Cooper City High School, where several corps members attended school.

The funny thing is that later that year my high school band from GA. competed against Cooper City in Largo, FL. We finished 2nd, they finished last!