Pavilion Show in N. CA

By the way, does anyone know what piece Renegades played for their ballad? It sounded really familiar, but I couldn't place it...

Our ballad this summer is ...

My Immortal, by Evanescence

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a request from BD, Dave Gibbs and Blueview ... They've got their reasons and are just trying to avoid some potential legal hassles.

No, they weren't really tough about a "no video cameras" policy at the Pavillion, but those folks can just enjoy the videos at home and not give the BD organization the need to crack down if they down this next year.

Think of it as being in someone elses house ...

BD does not own the Pavilion. This was open to the public and they played in public. It's not like i took a DVD that a purchased and put it on the net. That is wrong. Simply putting a public concert on YouTube does not translate into violation of copyright material. Nobody is profiting. This is a digital world. Get use to it.

It was a request from BD, Dave Gibbs and Blueview ... They've got their reasons and are just trying to avoid some potential legal hassles.

No, they weren't really tough about a "no video cameras" policy at the Pavillion, but those folks can just enjoy the videos at home and not give the BD organization the need to crack down if they down this next year.

Think of it as being in someone elses house ...

Agreed! As I was approaching the entrance to the Pavilion with tripod and a big camera bag visibly in tow, as staff approached me, I worried that they were going to tell me "no videotaping". Much to my happiness, all she said was "no glass bottles or aluminum cans allowed." I filmed right out in plain sight, as did many other people, and in fact was even allowed to stand behind the guys who were doing the professional audio recordings. When BD staff approached me, and very politely so, asking me to please not post footage on YouTube, I was happy to comply. If everyone keeps getting so upset with their wishes, they may create a situation where we aren't allowed to tape ANYthing anymore, even free or "family day" performances for our own use. I just think people should be more respective of the fact that BD has requested people not post videos of performances online, and stop trying to challenge all their reasons. Period. I'm sure they're in a much better position than us fans are, to know what copyright issues we all could screw up for them. It sounds like they're okay with lot and rehearsal footage, according to what some others have said, but I'm guessing even that is risky, if there are copyright issues. If the corps is playing something from the show, does that not fall into the category of something that shouldn't be posted on YouTube? As for myself, from now on, before I post anything to YouTube, I think I'll just play it safe and ask the corps permission via email first.

(All that having been said, however, I also do not think the posting of such clips on sites like YouTube will prevent anyone from purchasing legal copies... we're all just so eager to get a taste of what's to come, I think it actually helps get people excited and WANTING to purchase something more professional. I too have never been offered an opportunity to purchase any bootlegged anything, and the one time I saw a newbie post something on a forum that they were living somewhere overseas and unable to attend any shows, so were hoping someone would send them, for a fee, of course, any footage or copies they had. The masses crashed down on them immediately, telling them what a huge 'no no' that was. I think we are all our own police, and everyone agrees the corps deserve, as well as need, to generate income from recordings, and we're all more than happy to spend money to get our "drum corps fixes". As a parent who has paid her child's corps fees for 6 years now, I am very appreciative of how much the corps are able to subsidize the cost through the selling of their merchandise, as well as other ways. I think it's time everyone just took a deep breath and realized that soon enough, there will be shows to attend, CDs or DVDs to purchase, and BlueViews to watch!)

BD does not own the Pavilion. This was open to the public and they played in public. It's not like i took a DVD that a purchased and put it on the net. That is wrong. Simply putting a public concert on YouTube does not translate into violation of copyright material. Nobody is profiting. This is a digital world. Get use to it.

If you check the Sleep Train Pavilion web site (these are the guys that DO own the pavilion), it states the following:

"NO Video or Audio Recording Devices (Unless specifically allowed by Artist)"

It has been noted that nothing was mentioned in the program about audio or video recording, so it is clear that it was not "specifically allowed".

In the age of lawsuits, corps need to be very careful about the release of recordings of their shows. Even if the person who owns the rights does not pick a fight over posted content, they may decide not to make the same agreement next time. Imagine if your favorite corps was told they could no longer play their "signature" song in public again. I heard a recent rumor that this already happened to one corps.

Anyway, why shouldn't they make a buck for their hard work. If you want see it or hear it, go to a show.

If you check the Sleep Train Pavilion web site (these are the guys that DO own the pavilion), it states the following:

"NO Video or Audio Recording Devices (Unless specifically allowed by Artist)"

It has been noted that nothing was mentioned in the program about audio or video recording, so it is clear that it was not "specifically allowed".

In the age of lawsuits, corps need to be very careful about the release of recordings of their shows. Even if the person who owns the rights does not pick a fight over posted content, they may decide not to make the same agreement next time. Imagine if your favorite corps was told they could no longer play their "signature" song in public again. I heard a recent rumor that this already happened to one corps.

Anyway, why shouldn't they make a buck for their hard work. If you want see it or hear it, go to a show.

That's kinda funny cuz i used my digital camera which happend to also record video and audio. Digital cameras are allowed. I really didn't see any signs when entering the Pavilion and was only asked it we had bottles or cans when entering. I don't think my grainy video from the digital camera will be a threat to what BD will produce on BlueView. Think of it as a teaser trailer that is very amateurish.

Okay, how about "Don't be a ####", then?

You are acting like a petulant child. Grow up and show some consideration for the corps ... In this "digital age", most content publishing organizations are agressively pursuing Internet-based copyright violations. Would you like to see BD sued because they didn't think they needed to pay for rights to cover the Pavillion show?

MikeD: Edit for filter circumvention

Edited by MikeD

Okay, how about "Don't be a ####", then?

You are acting like a petulant child. Grow up and show some consideration for the corps ... In this "digital age", most content publishing organizations are agressively pursuing Internet-based copyright violations. Would you like to see BD sued because they didn't think they needed to pay for rights to cover the Pavillion show?

Not being a ####. Just be realistic. Really, you don't go to YouTube and watch clips?

MikeD: Edit for filter circumvention

Think of it as a teaser trailer that is very amateurish.

What I find amateurish is your response to all of this. So you didn't see a sign and nobody told you that you couldn't shoot video - big deal. Doesn't the fact that you were asked directly by Dave Gibbs to refrain from posting trump that? Don't you feel a little compelled to comply with his request as a courtesey?

That's kinda funny cuz i used my digital camera which happend to also record video and audio. Digital cameras are allowed. I really didn't see any signs when entering the Pavilion and was only asked it we had bottles or cans when entering. I don't think my grainy video from the digital camera will be a threat to what BD will produce on BlueView. Think of it as a teaser trailer that is very amateurish.

If too many people share your attitude, you can expect much more strict policing of these things in the future. Yes, most digital cameras have a video function. Again, the corps is TRYING to accommodate the parents that want to get a picture or video clip of little Jimmy playing his trumpet. If too manny people abuse this, you can expect future shows to exhibit very strict policies of no cameras of any kind. I guess we'll all have you (and those like you) to thank for that one.

Sad that this has turned out this way (video and all) :(