Counting Rifle Spins

:wink: I am kinda new at rifle... I've been told when I have someone count it that I can do a 6 at most, but I want to know what I am throwing by myself...any tips or tricks to counting rifle spins with out just knowing.... any help is much appreciated

also.... any tips on catching behind back

Thanks

E :ph34r:

:wink: I am kinda new at rifle... I've been told when I have someone count it that I can do a 6 at most, but I want to know what I am throwing by myself...any tips or tricks to counting rifle spins with out just knowing.... any help is much appreciated

also.... any tips on catching behind back

Thanks

E :ph34r:

It's one of those things that just takes time to master. I tend to judge my tosses based mostly on the height. I try to keep the rotation as even as I can, because it's much harder to guage your rotation than it is to guage the height. So the key is to keep your rotation the same each time and just vary how high you're tossing. Video taping yourself is a great way to see what you're tossing. Try to remember what you were doing or what you thought you were doing and then go back and watch the tape in slow motion so you can count the rotations. Hope any of this helps.

It's one of those things that just takes time to master. I tend to judge my tosses based mostly on the height. I try to keep the rotation as even as I can, because it's much harder to guage your rotation than it is to guage the height. So the key is to keep your rotation the same each time and just vary how high you're tossing. Video taping yourself is a great way to see what you're tossing. Try to remember what you were doing or what you thought you were doing and then go back and watch the tape in slow motion so you can count the rotations. Hope any of this helps.

Thanks for replying so quickly :)

If seen all your videos on youtube they're really awesome! :ph34r:

shout out for snare and tenor in HS B)

I play tenor in HS now and I picked a rifle about 2 months ago and I love it

I might be joining Syracuse Brigs

thanks again

awesome slow mo vid :wink:

Here are a a few tips (these may vary depending upon the ensemble, but are fairly universal):

1. Singles and doubles are caught on count 2.

2. Triples are caught on count 3.

3. Quads are caught on 3 &.

4. Quints (5) are caught on 4&

6. 6 on 5

7. 7 on 6 &

Don't wrap your thumb around the gun. It will probably be a little more natural for you to WANT to wrap your thumb, BUT DON"T.

Wraping makes it wobble/be uneven. Keep it pressed up against the rifle and it will really make things smoother in the air - even makes spins easier. PLUS it will help build up your arm muscles.

Make sure you catch on the end of the gun at all times! This will really help solidify the catch (and make you feel more confident!).

Hope this helps!

I still can't always tell what I'm tossing all of the time, so when I got lost I use this method-

I toss every toss until I get to the one I want.

Example- If I want to toss a six (And know for sure that it is a six) then I toss a single, then double, then triple, quad, five, then six.

If your rotation stays consistent then it should be easier to feel the difference between each toss when you move in succession like that.

The counts posted above are pretty standard and are accurate guidelines. This is also assuming a moderate tempo and a clear, clean, crisp rotation speed. (Which is usually faster than what most people spin when they start)

If you can toss a six without sending it to the heavens, than your rotation is probably fast enough.

Edited by Stick Stack

Don't wrap your thumb around the gun. It will probably be a little more natural for you to WANT to wrap your thumb, BUT DON"T.

Wraping makes it wobble/be uneven. Keep it pressed up against the rifle and it will really make things smoother in the air - even makes spins easier. PLUS it will help build up your arm muscles.

Make sure you catch on the end of the gun at all times! This will really help solidify the catch (and make you feel more confident!).

Hope this helps!

FYI, some groups actually do wrap their thumb. That's a technique choice for the instructor. Also, there are guards who don't catch the tip. I don't know if any still do it, but the Blue Devils used to always catch 6" in from the tip.

I think the easeist way to count your rotation is just to watch your spotter and count the number of times it goes around (I always count the ups).

While I agree with you for beginners, I DO love me some one handed catches!love.gif

OP - The more you practice the more your eye will become trained to recognize the differences in rotation for each toss. :)

Edited by garfield_cadets

• 2 weeks later...

woww thats a good idea. except po folks without a video camera cant do this. lol I just start at a single and work my way up. I do the same thing, watch the height. It works for me. One thing not to do, is chuck a rifle. Know what your trying to toss.

I do the same thing, I work my way up from singles to doubles to triples to quads, etc. I call it "The Ladder".

If all else fails, grab a buddy or an instructor and have them help you out. A lot of times, they'll be able to see what's going on.

• 1 month later...

You would be surprised how many people just throw their guns on a prayer that it comes down the right way. It is poor technique. I start with a single, recognizing that the butt is verticle twice before the catch, a double the butt is verticle three times, triple....4 times, etc............ Really watch the rifle and understand it's every move in the air...... Be experimental also by throwing slow and lofty, fast and tight, throw a bad one on purpose, then throw a good one. I also throw half catches on purpose to train my self how to catch a "half" and not drop it. I do my "ladder" like this: single, single & 1/2, double, double & 1/2, triple, triple & 1/2, quad, quad and 1/2, five, five & 1/2, six, etc...... Then I do the ladder again with all fully rotated catches. Then again with all the catches on halfs. Then I mix them all up and tell myself random tosses and this trains your mind and muscles to recognize the process to make a solid catch. It's a work out for your brain, but takes the fear, anxiety, and guesswork out of tossing in your shows. You can also do the whole exercise off the right hand to. I know it sounds totally unconventional and useless...........but it makes a difference......... especially when the director needs a reliable soloist who doesn't drop.