Favorite Freelancer year?

Favorite Freelancer Year  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite year of the Freelancers

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not up on my Freelancers knowledge very well...but I do know I love the beautiful opener with the soloist (83??), LOVE it, it's on my giant montage of dci audio clips that i made. Then, 1989 because I love me some John Williams!

they went to the white pants in 91.

It seemed like everyone had white or very light colored pants in '91. My memory is somewhat foggy, but just the top 25 with light pants:

1. Star

3. Phantom

6. Cadets

7. Madison

8. Crossmen

9. BK

10. Freelancers

11. Bluecoats

12. Sky

14. VK

17. Glassmen

20. L'Insolite

22. Colts

23. Southwind

24. Black Gold

25. Crown

For more pointless information, SCV, BAC, and Marauders were the only corps of the top 25 that wore dark pants with white stripes.

anyone who knows me knows I'm one o fthe 2 voting for 93!!!!!

but frankly, 89-93 are all a close race for first in my opinion.

(and yes, that IS a 93 Freelancer guard uni in my avatar!!!!) :P

While I had to go with 84 as my favorite (and 88 is second place), 93 is right up there as one of my favorite Freelancer shows. Those Bill Chase tunes were awesome. Freelancers got some of the biggest reactions from the crowd that year (rightfully so, too).

Three votes for '77, the last year I marched. 1976 was also an awesome show for the smallest corps in DCI history to make the top 12. But don't forget 1975 - Its not even on the list! Our first national tour, the first year of Commencement for off-the-line, and the most awesome baritone soloist anywhere that year, Larry (whats-his-name?).

I voted for 81... It was the first year of the new red cadets,

Sorry, but '80 was the first year of the red cadets.

It was right after the, unfortunate, jumpsuits of '79. (The year of the "Sacramento Imperials" (a somewhat derisive reference to their looking like the Seattle Imperials))

For more pointless information, SCV, BAC, and Marauders were the only corps of the top 25 that wore dark pants with white stripes.

OF these three, you guys were the only ones with dark tops and bottoms, although we did wear the black pants a few times during tour.

OK, I have to admit, I have a hard time voting for a favorite, I really like 76, 77, 82, 83, 84, 89, & 91. Another great year not mentioned in the poll (sorry Scott) is 1974. That corps (the brass anyway) could have easily made finals had they gone.

I guess I'll go with 82. I usually do. Probably the tightest and most difficult book the brass ever had. Just listen to the mellos in Sunshine. WOW! I can't forget to mention that bari line--they rocked!! I love listening to the leads running in thirds in the opener and Even Now. Even Now was an incredible ballad right up there with Bellavia.

I'm still tracking down Capitalaires/Freelancers recordings. I have 65, 66, 70, 71, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, & 94.

Looking for 63, 64, 67, 68, 69, 72, & 73. PM me if you know of a record they may be on.

Also looking for video of any non-DCI finals year. I have 76, 77, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 89, 91, & 92 (From the DCI Legacy Series).

Also looking for the lost years of 86 and 95, if any recordings exist.

The Freelancers geek,

Edited by ravedodger

Three votes for '77, the last year I marched. 1976 was also an awesome show for the smallest corps in DCI history to make the top 12. But don't forget 1975 - Its not even on the list! Our first national tour, the first year of Commencement for off-the-line, and the most awesome baritone soloist anywhere that year, Larry (whats-his-name?).

Larry Sherman (I think?)...

And I would have to go with '76, '81 - '84 as my favorites. Sorry, I can't pick a single fav. '89 was great to actually be in the stands on Finals night. "Sac is Back!" brought a huge smile to my face. And I really liked the '90 Batman opener.