1972 corps

No, there were thousands of drum corps in 1972, one in every neighborhood and a show every night. DCP members have said so, so it must be true, and citing their posts is all the proof I need.

I'm guessing you marched in none of them. :dozingoff:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - why don't you try to set aside just a bit of that skepticism and be rationale. Corpsreps is a good resource, and the data they have is good but it is FAR from complete. Taking 1981 as an example, unless I was dreaming, we actually had a drum corps circuit up here in the Northwest yet we are not documented on corpsreps. We had a series of shows yet corpsreps only lists two (Tacoma and Longview). At those shows they only list (BD, VK, Valley Fever, Seattle Imperials, and BDB). I know I competed at those shows on that circuit but we are not in the database for 1981.

Our local shows inlcuded Black Watch, Cascades, Spartans, Marauders, Argonauts, Pacific Blue, Buddhist Scouts, and the Imperials. If that data from WA/OR is absent I'm sure the same can be said all over the country. Over 400 corps competing in 1972 is a reality whether you choose to believe it or not.

In regards to corpsreps, they are constantly adding and updating information, the folks there comb through old publications, albums, reel to reel recordings, etc. but also rely heavily on input from sources they have no connection to,.................there are buttons on the site to register yourself as a member of a particular corps, add data to include scores, reps. etc.,..............it is as good as it can be, and you can add to it to make it better!

In regards to corpsreps, they are constantly adding and updating information, the folks there comb through old publications, albums, reel to reel recordings, etc. but also rely heavily on input from sources they have no connection to,.................there are buttons on the site to register yourself as a member of a particular corps, add data to include scores, reps. etc.,..............it is as good as it can be, and you can add to it to make it better!

Gary is right. I've sent along scores I've found over the years and Chris is happy to add them. I've also sent in repertoire changes that have been added, too.

Think of the task of trying to record the scores of every drum cops show. Dig out your old programs and send those scores in!

Gary in Vegas

Heck, there were five corps on my street alone.

And we LIKED it, dadgummit!!!!!!!! :P

Fran

At least you had a street for your Drum Corps. There were at least 5 in my front yard alone. In those days you couldn't walk anywhere without bumping into a drum corps...crazy!

A list of the lesser-known NY corps from then would include:

American Lancers

American Patrol

Appleknocker Cadets

Blue Angels

Blue Max

Bridge City Cadets

Canastota Saints

Continental Cadets

Crimson Kings

Depew

Envoys

Golden Marauders

Grenadier Cadets

Havenaires

Holy Child

Horizons

Huntington Knights

Bethesda Hurricanes

Imperial Guardsmen

Killmen

Koble-Aires

Lake Shorettes

Lindenaires

Mavericks

Mello-Debs

Niagara Cadets

Orbits

Pearl River Cadets

Pilots

Queens

Queensmen

Red Berets

Rhythmettes

St. James

Smithtown Freelancer Cadets

Stormy Knights

Travelers

Trinity Cadets

Yellow Pages

71st Lancers

Brian,

OK. Now I am beginning to understand your numbers more. Most of these forty corps were exhibition and cadet corps (like our own Appleknocker Cadets) and/or parade units which did not compete on the field. As a result, they were largely invisible to the eyes of those involved in field competition at the time. This is certainly a legitimate accounting, nevertheless! I would think, however, that it would be difficult to document that they were all active in 1972. Trinity Cadets, for example, sponsored a show in Gloversville, NY in September in which we competed during the latter half of the 60's. (I saw St. Rocco's, St. Joe's Patrons, and Bronx Kingsmen there) I seem to recall that some years they appeared in exhibition while in others they were the sponsoring organization only without a unit to put on display.

A list of the lesser-known NY corps from then would include:

American Lancers

American Patrol

Appleknocker Cadets

Blue Angels

Blue Max

Bridge City Cadets

Canastota Saints

Continental Cadets

Crimson Kings

Depew

Envoys

Golden Marauders

Grenadier Cadets

Havenaires

Holy Child

Horizons

Huntington Knights

Bethesda Hurricanes

Imperial Guardsmen

Killmen

Koble-Aires

Lake Shorettes

Lindenaires

Mavericks

Mello-Debs

Niagara Cadets

Orbits

Pearl River Cadets

Pilots

Queens

Queensmen

Red Berets

Rhythmettes

St. James

Smithtown Freelancer Cadets

Stormy Knights

Travelers

Trinity Cadets

Yellow Pages

71st Lancers

A couple more you can add that competed against the Canastota Saints in 1972:

Drumadiers (Later to become the Grey Ghosts)

Chittenango Avengers

Stanwix Heights Ridge Runners

• 1 year later...
I must have been blinded by his magnificent presence. Well, no, not really.

Yup, I know. Those could disappear, too, and this would be a happier place. The lack of a blue complexion wiould indicate that I'm not holding my breath on that one!

Sure, reign me in then bait him? Troublemaker!

:P

Garry in Vegas

PS Taking a shot at the 20 California corps in 1972...

Velvet Knights

Squires

Anaheim Kingsmen

Kings Lancers

California Crusaders

Lynwood Diplomats

Los Angeles Chinese Imperial Dragons

Golden Statesmen

3rd Generation

Koyasan Boy Scouts

Royal Guardsmen

Monterey Park Girls

Santa Clara Vanguard

Blue Devils

Knight Raiders

Stockton Commodores

Capitolaires

Conquistadores

Royalaires

Mandarins

Lest we forget the Americanettes and their famous nearly fifty yard tosses with their nearly fifty yard catches.? :^)

Hey Northern Thunder, do you have corps breakdowns for 1960, 1950, etc. how many and state by state? I hear tell there were a lot more than the 442 from '72.