Disrespect Between Members of Different Eras

Mentioned this in somewhere else and thought I kick off a new thread instead of hijacking.

I'll be 50 in a few months *GAG* and have belonged to an old car group (Antique Automobile Club of America) since I was 18. Just like Drum Corps there are different eras of cars. And also like DC, lot of people have preferences in eras. BUT, I have yet to hear anyone slam a different auto era or people who like that era.

Another example for you sports fans. There have been different eras in almost any sport. Pre designated hitter for baseball, goalie masks for hockey, etc, etc. Have you ever heard anyone say that old time <insert sport here> sucked and the people who played were real knucke draggers?

So what's so different about Drum Corps????

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mentioned this in somewhere else and thought I kick off a new thread instead of hijacking.

I'll be 50 in a few months *GAG* and have belonged to an old car group (Antique Automobile Club of America) since I was 18. Just like Drum Corps there are different eras of cars. And also like DC, lot of people have preferences in eras. BUT, I have yet to hear anyone slam a different auto era or people who like that era.

Another example for you sports fans. There have been different eras in almost any sport. Pre designated hitter for baseball, goalie masks for hockey, etc, etc. Have you ever heard anyone say that old time <insert sport here> sucked and the people who played were real knucke draggers?

What? How often do you see a current marching member come online and bash on older corps shows and styles, and then how often do you see a former marching member come on here and bash on current corps shows and styles?

Edited by Carl306

What? People who marched in the past bash modern corps ALL THE TIME. If anything if a current marcher says anything it's more in defense. There's plenty of respect, but of course if someone constantly bashes what you do (many times in a pretty ignorant fashion) then there's going to be a backlash.

Agreed 100%.

I almost never see a current member talk bad about the activity "back in the day". In fact, it's usually quite the opposite. Most current members talk about how cool those times were.

If a current member ever says something harsh, it's almost always in response to a "old geezer" (no offense) who's complaining and moaning about how the activity is so different from when he (or she) marched.

Edited by MagicBobert

To further my point even more....

Source: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...97104&st=0#

I got this in an email and maybe a lot of you have already read it. I found it amusing, although I don't totally agree with the sentiment.

ODE TO REAL DRUM CORPS

I think that I shall never see,

A drum corps as it used to be.

Where fun and spirit filled the stands,

Instead of DCI marching bands.

When lines were straightened by design,

Else you found a foot in your behind.

And symmetry revealed the skill.

Of poor kids with naught but will.

When heads and bodies marched as one

Instead of playing on the run.

When competition wouldn't yield,

You kicked their ##### OFF the field.

We had practice; they "rehearse";

We got better; they get worse.

Country & flag: not to despise;

Close order drill, NOT jazzercise.

Flamaques and pada-flafla's

Military bearing; not tights with no bras.

Bugles in the key of G

Not saxophones nor calliope.

Not semi-vans, just an old bread truck -

And we could tell our foes, "YOU SUCK!"

When judges ticked to seal your fate,

Not conductors who "adjudicate."

American flag, and proper guards!

Not sidelines looking like junk yards.

Drums rest on legs, like times of old.

And drum majors didn't need a scaffold.

A little effort to raise the knee

Was worth the crowds that came to see

and shout and holler with a beer -

But now, "Be quiet, so we can hear!"

Stadiums are not symphony halls,

And "forte" notes do not have balls!

B-flat major? Gimme a break!

"Blow in plumbing, music make!"

Start on the left; end on the right -

Blow your brains out with all your might!

Athletic "sport?" - no freakin' way -

That's why baseball's here to stay.

And so, my friend, you understand

Why drum corps are nothing more than bands

That take the best and then corrupt it.

So join an alumni corps and just say "f____ it."

Author Unknown

What annoys/disturbs me more that someone took the time to write this.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

I was going to say the same thing, actually. The amount of trash-talking about drum corps of the past is NOTHING compared to what we see just about every day from those who slam everything about drum corps today.

What? People who marched in the past bash modern corps ALL THE TIME. If anything if a current marcher says anything it's more in defense. There's plenty of respect, but of course if someone constantly bashes what you do (many times in a pretty ignorant fashion) then there's going to be a backlash.

I have to agree with Einstein here. Being on the receiving end of boos and criticisms and finding out later that the most vocal people were so-called old timers has made me a little more critical of their eras. I probably wouldn't have looked at earlier eras with such a critical eye otherwise. I wanted to figure out what all the hubub was about and to figure out why there was so much vitriol coming from this camp in particular. Up until the advent of sites like YouTube, the ragging has been pretty much one directional and coming from the old timers. There just weren't the resources for most of us "new-timers" to form an opinion about older generations unless we bothered to buy all the legacy videos. For me personally though, I don't think I've been too critical of previous eras. It's not my cup of tea, but I don't rag on it too bad.

In baseball we're beginning to see the backlash against the current generation because of steroids. In the future, this era will probably be looked down upon and slighted.

I think a lot of people who are basketball fans find the current "show-off"/"streetball" version a cheap rip-off of the sport. I happen to fall in this camp and find basketball from the 70's and 80's much more entertaining and true to the rules of the sport. I hear people on radio talk shows slamming the current era of BBall big time.

I think a better analogy is to compare music preferences between generations. When I say music, I mean what's popular on the radio as opposed to DC music. Almost everyone prefers the music that was being played when they were teenagers and young adults. For most people, when your parents play the "hits" of their generation, you recoil and think how trite it is. When the parents listen to your music, they think it's going to corrupt you and send you to hell. This is a gross generalization, but I think you see where I'm coming from.

To ANSWER THE FRIGGING QUESTION, I think you'd probably hear stuff like that in almost any niche-type activity. As an actor, I often bemoan the fact that most musicals written today can't compare to the type of shows written in the past. (Plus many of today's stars phone in "sick" as often as they can.) Barbershoppers, quilters, hairdressers, sportswriters, etc., it's pure evolution vs. de-evolution.

To ANSWER THE FRIGGING QUESTION, I think you'd probably hear stuff like that in almost any niche-type activity. As an actor, I often bemoan the fact that most musicals written today can't compare to the type of shows written in the past. (Plus many of today's stars phone in "sick" as often as they can.) Barbershoppers, quilters, hairdressers, sportswriters, etc., it's pure evolution vs. de-evolution.

I doubt many "seasoned vets" make poems ridiculinh a past era.

~>conner