Disrespect Between Members of Different Eras

I think that the decline of local-style corps (the 400+ that existed in 71) directly led to that explosion in the band world, as instructors and judges looked for a way to keep on working as drum corps shriveled, for all sorts of external reasons not connected to the old "DCI killed drum corps" silliness that gets spouted here by some.

Hey, it's not silliness, it's true.

...and I think you may have the smoking gun :P

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very intersting topic.

I'm one of those "ancients". Started in 1961.

I have all the respect in the world for today's marchers. The amount of time required of them, the complexity of the shows and music and the difficulty of living conditions on a two month tour are deserving of respect no matter what era you marched in.

The shows are different. the instrumentation is different and the kids who march are different. For one they are all musicians, whereas back in the dark ages the vast majority of us had never touched an instrument couldn't read music etc.

As far as the changes I like today's visual programs but would on ocassion appreciate an "off the line" or color pre just wouldn't want anything mandated.

Horns, I don't care how many valves. I must be tone deaf because I really can't tell the difference between Bb and the old G's.

Amplification, some of it's good some is bad. Vocals, I've really enjoyed some, tolerated some and thought some was perfectly horrible. But this has nothing to do with the kids, it's on the arrangers.

I guess the only problem I have with the modern shows is in the music. It seems to me a lot of it is over arranged so that even when it is a familiar piece I don't recognize it, and I don't think a lot of it stands alone (without the visual). Since I spend more time listening to tapes and CD's this is a sticking point to me. But again this has nothing to do with the perfomers who oviously like what they are doing (otherwise why would they do it). So my answer is I'm not buying the CD's anymore.

Peace everyone.

I guess the only problem I have with the modern shows is in the music. It seems to me a lot of it is over arranged so that even when it is a familiar piece I don't recognize it, and I don't think a lot of it stands alone (without the visual). Since I spend more time listening to tapes and CD's this is a sticking point to me. But again this has nothing to do with the perfomers who oviously like what they are doing (otherwise why would they do it). So my answer is I'm not buying the CD's anymore.

Peace everyone.

I think I have to agree wit h you here but I am optimistic. Maybe it's me but it seems over the last 3-5 years, there's been a re-emergence of the melody :laugh: . I think of Phantom and Crown in particular. Has anybody else noticed this or am I just drinking my own optimism flavored koolaid?

I think the desire to have as many sets as possible in a short period of time has shortened the phrasing to the point of losing the melody.

I think I have to agree wit h you here but I am optimistic. Maybe it's me but it seems over the last 3-5 years, there's been a re-emergence of the melody :laugh: . I think of Phantom and Crown in particular. Has anybody else noticed this or am I just drinking my own optimism flavored koolaid?

I think the desire to have as many sets as possible in a short period of time has shortened the phrasing to the point of losing the melody.

No, I agree.... maybe melody is the new black. I hope so. I didn't even recognize the Biebl this year in PR's show until it was over. :(

That's kind of interesting. I hadn't thought of it that way, but that's a pretty valid argument. Or.... did the increasing number of drill sets and impressive, high-speed moves cause the choppy arranging? Or did the birth of hip-hop influence the general public's taste in (and attention span for) music? The world may never know. :)

Silvertrombone, that was probably one of the best posts I've read on DCP since I joined back in 2004. :laugh:

Geez, all that writing and only one reference? Thanks, Carl--I shall add you to my signature!

Rational thought won't get you far here. It was indeed a great post.

True and I think laziness from people like me will only get part of a long post read. :P