G bugles louder that Bb?

OOOOoooo. you kill two birds with one stone. Not only G vs Bb, but also legacy, (sort of), vs current. Using legacy players. Wouldn't want to be in the legacy line :sshh: youth trumps age, usually, in physical contests.

Ah, we were all youthful at that time. No diff. It is all sound and the horn. Same lungs, same horns, if done correctly. This is all about volume and G and Bb. 2 valve/rotor and 3 valve. Or just the old horn VS the new. Let us get it out in the open. Maybe MBOO could do the show for us? Who would do it? I would love to. LOL

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have yet to see the myth of the purple drink turning your poop green. We should send that in too! :D

Edited by dcf06

Actually, I have been thinking back to the post that Torn8o did after last year's DCA championship. He took his dB meter to championships and posted readings. Of course, its unscientific, but it was fun to look at and ponder. I plan to take one to a few shows this year and record the results. I will post the results for everyone to debate. I will try to hit shows that have both G and Bb lines available. I think many people should do this. We could compile alot of data from different show sites and conditions. It won't prove a #### thing, but it would at least add something new to the debate.

This is all interesting... but I, personally, think this is a no-contest. The G bugles are louder, hands down. Fact. Physics of the horn, etc. I've played both like many other people here. There is a very noticable difference. Case closed. There's a reason why the G lines were stronger.

Edited by Glad To Be Hear

To me there's only one way to resolve this issue. Take the best DCA/DCI brass players you can find (one from each section except mellophone) - give them a G and a Bb and put them in a sound proof room on a decibal meter.

To me there's only one way to resolve this issue. Take the best DCA/DCI brass players you can find (one from each section except mellophone) - give them a G and a Bb and put them in a sound proof room on a decibal meter.

Indoors? Irrelevant.

Indoors? Irrelevant.

Not entirely. Like most substances, air expands when it's heated and contracts when it's cooled. In aviation it's known as "density altitude". That's the reason why most airplanes snap off the runway better in cooler weather. It's also the reason why most hornlines sound louder in cool crisp temperatures than in hot and humid ones. If a comparison test of G's and Bb's were preformed in a contolled environment, I believe we would get accurate results.

If you really want to solve the debate ... DCI needs to engineer a sound system and recording system (of which they can sell to the public) that will reproduce the exact sound of the performance. EXACT ... FULL VOLUME ... FULL DYNAMIC RANGE ... true PCM reproduction. It might cost you about $50K to buy it .. but then you would know for sure.