Current Events Forum Closure Discussion

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

see those ads at the top of the page?

see the name of this forum?

the name customer service is a nicety. customers are people who willingly pay for a service rendered. the ads at the top don't pay much -- ask john or rich. DCP used to have a built in google bar, that when used directly from the dcp window generated funds. i used it, and so did some others, but it wasn't that cost efficient, so they got rid of it. ads make more money when you click on them -- do you click a ton every day to consider yourself "paying" for dcp? even when there's no set cost?

i'm not meaning to be difficult, but face it -- we're NOT customers. we are guests. dcp is privately owned (as in purchased and PAID FOR) and operated. we are generously allowed to use it.

DCP does use adveritisers, and donors to pay for itself dosent it?

donors haven't been used for years... i think i was in the last "class" of donors.

yes. it is.

how about when calling someone else's logic into question, you observe your own.

~>conner

yeah. coming to a drum corps forum to talk about drum corps is just absurd.

~>conner

correct me if I'm wrong, but he bacsically said that he comes to DCP for the CE forum, and that he won't be visiting anymore because of the fact the CE forum is gone.

::shrugs:: obviously you're better at reading posts than me.

~>conner

those are the same thing to you? I would say that the first one mischaracterizes his statement entirely. you make up your own argument, in an attempt to imply whatever it is you are intending to imply. However that implication fails due the fallacy you commit by mischaracterizing his statement. You are in essence " Attacking the straw man". Its an inductive fallacy.

Imagine this, a CE thread going off-topic... :)

I would like to ask Rich if there is any chance of this decision being revisited and possibly overturned with new rules/guidleines in place?

I think this thread is good and thought provoking. It's gets to the meat of why so many of us come here. We've all been togehter a long time and for the most part get along like siblings. (that could be the problem)

Is there a chance, Rich?

Imagine this, a CE thread going off-topic... :)

I would like to ask Rich if there is any chance of this decision being revisited and possibly overturned with new rules/guidleines in place?

I think this thread is good and thought provoking. It's gets to the meat of why so many of us come here. We've all been togehter a long time and for the most part get along like siblings. (that could be the problem)

Is there a chance, Rich?

I'll address that privately......as soon as I have time tonight, or tomorrow.

Thanks.

Didn't really get across my true feelings the first time:

The CE forum on this site was probably the best online political discussion board I have ever been a member of in my life. I learned a HUGE amount. Its outright deletion is unfortunate.

Edited by PurpleKnights

You'll probably discover someday that the things you ended up liking the most about drum corps were actually the people and the atmosphere, not the actual nuts and bolts of the field shows.

Gee mister you've must have marched old time drum corps. We only had grass on our fields. I bet you even had G Bugles with piston and rotor. :)

I did it as a member for 7 years, and a staffer for 4 years, and still enjoy playing out with the alumni group for my corps - but talking about who had "the hardest drill" last season with some people who, I'll guarantee you, have never had a dot book strung around their neck in the first place, just doesn't have much appeal.

Talking about things like tax policy, questions of civil rights, and other important/philosophical issues ARE interesting to some of us, particularly when we're reasonably guaranteed that the other people we're talking to, by dint of their association with this activity, are probably fairly bright and motivated to "do it better", whether in real life or back in the day when they too marched.

It's what made the CE forum fun. Sorry to see it go, but then again, I felt the same way about G-bugles, and life certainly does go on. B)

I have to agree to Matt on this one. Some of the conversation on the rest of DCP can be rather mundane. It's tiring at times seeing post after post about who was the best ... (fill in with your favorite drum corps category). Or to be corrected about a drum corps event -- that you experienced, i.e. being present at -- by someone who wasn't even a twinkle in their father's eye when the event occurred (I know I've never had a dot book strung around my neck, but I do know what a grease board is). CE was a great place to find out information and dialogue to work out thoughts and opinions, as someone earlier pointed out, with people who were not entirely strangers but more family.

Yes the discussion on CE was intense at times. As it would be when discussing issues that strike personal chords. But there was a certain rhythm that rose and fell on the board that eventually reached an equal Librium. Yes statements would get personal, but that again this comes from the intense passion aroused with personal issues. And I don't think any of us who posted regularly on CE can pick up a stone and say we're not guilty of violating that personal protocol. It was the nature of the forum, but when it was violated there was enough criticism by others to not let the personal attack go unnoticed.

I've also seen an argument that threads "were hijacked" as some kind of justification to close CE. It's a weak statement that comes from unrealistic expectations upon free discussion. CE was a free form where the threads would evolve with the input placed into them. Conversation in real life isn't controlled, unless it's a presentation with an outline and a moderator leading the discussion for a set period of time. Threads change because each person posting has a different aspect, or perception, to add. To complain they were "hijacked" is based upon an unrealistic belief that the response to a posted discussion statement would follow a certain pattern that the poster wanted. When it didn't it became "hijacked".

I agree with Purpleknights (and several other earlier posters) DCP CE forum was one of the better political discussion sites and a bit more. It's a shame that it was ended abruptly.

Edited by jbl

Both of the Giles are in agreement. I don't want to talk politics with strangers on the internet... I want to get to know my drum corps buddies better, offer differing views, and still be able to share a beer at DCA.

For those that are happy CE is closed, I really wonder why you didn't just leave the section if you were so unhappy. Instead, I saw complaints and pleas to shut the place down... while not even thinking that there are people still enjoying it. Squeaky wheel I guess.

I also wonder at the level of "self-moderation" since we weren't even able to vote people off the island that obviously didn't play with others and understand our group dynamics before jumping in the pool and making a huge splash.

After thinking about this all day, I'm still bummed. I hope there will be a new home for our little "CE Family" to go to and hang out. Or at the very least, DCP reconsiders this decision.

w/Stp:

ye shall be missed.It was always nice to hear what people thought about the world.

Ive said this a few times over the past few years, maybe as an excuse for when someone ticks me off and I launch a counter strike on them, but to repeat, free speech is messy.

Stuff happens when people talk about sex, politics and religion! For anyone naive to expect conversation to always remain polite and reserved I say passion is what has always driven this nation and culture. For this reason I have always looked forward to those times in the summer when I have been able to meet my rhetorical "adversaries" in person. Because in the end what binds us together, the thing that is the "glue" that brings us here is in fact what also makes DCP go and that is Drum Corps. And it means that what I have in common with DCP CE regulars is much more significant than what our differences are.

Edited by Scerpella