Current Events Forum Closure Discussion

sorry but that just made me giggle :)
I try anything I can to make you giggle, liz. B)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been around since the very beginning, I have vascillated between believing the CE forum was a malignant tumor on an otherwise great site.. and believing it was a necessary evil -- and participating robustly in it.

I also know that this particular sub-forum was almost ALWAYS on the chopping block while I was involved in the running of the site. Even when the new ownership decided to allow it to be "self-moderated," it still ate up resources and energy because the moderation of it probably never truly stopped.

I can't say I'll be losing any sleep over this sub-forum shutdown. I think, while the points about a few really good discussions are valid, the forum tragically became a place for some perspectives and opinions which were extreme and in some cases offensive (and that's not to say the owners of said opinions and perspectives aren't 100% entitled to them) to compound on each other and then be repeated ad infinitum until people just began to mock each other rather than actually discuss anything.

Purposelessly, if you ask me.

I'm not sorry it's gone. People will find other things to talk about.

Stef

customer? you're not paying to use dcp... dcp allows you to use it.

Unique click-through for ads, etc = $$$.

Less unique click-throughs by "customers" = less traffic = less interested advertisers.

DCP : it's not a right, it's a privilege. :lolhit:

I agree with Galen. Lots of folks here seem to be upset that they lost a forum for discussion of politics. I didn't see much discussion in there.... It was a lot of one-upmanship and yeahbutt-ing with both sides, yes sides, firmly entrenched in their belief that they were right and the other side, yes side (could the lines have been drawn any more clear in there????), couldn't be more wrong.

A majority of posts consisted of one side trolling the internet for a nugget of information that supported their belief system and then posting it as a method to bash those they don't agree with (be it members or political figures). It was such a drag that I stopped participating because I just didn't have any interest. Whenever I came back it was the same tired story so I left again. And that was completely my choice.

Now it seems as if the community administrators feel the same way, but they have the option to not only leave but also to close it. And really that is the only option as they can't just abandon a section of their forum. They either manage it or get rid of it. I guess they're tired of managing it....

Edited by Machine

I am considering reopening the forum I had on the Madison Alumni Corps pages (I assume mods will allow this advertisement for a competing forum to stand since they have recommened we find a specialized forum for this) It was also an Invision power board.

It will be a matter of reinstating the domain and finding out if our prior host will be willing to continue to allow us to do so.

please email me at dscerpella@gmail.com for furhter details.

One of the most unique aspects of drum corps is the intense interaction of people of different backgrounds -- political, economic, geographical -- both on the field and off. The CE forum reflected that experience.

It's VERY disappointing DCP has decided this important aspect of drum corps can't be a part of it's pages.

See you coming to DCP far less often,

- Greg

Edited by GregGilman

Somewhat disappointing news, however, for obvious personal reasons,, I can fully understand the rationale as to why DCP is doing this. It's a shame that we couldn't have opposing political or religious view points without being personally attacked and criticized on that site. Hopefully, there will be a lot less of that once this new policy takes effect.

One of the most unique aspects of drum corps is the intense interaction of people of different backgrounds -- political, economic, geographical -- both on the field and off. The CE forum reflected that experience.

It's VERY disappointing DCP has decided this important aspect of drum corps can't be a part of it's pages.

See you coming to DCP far less often,

- Greg

Well said Greg

I'll still be around the site (mostly in the random thoughts thread and getting updates on scores, etc) I have a bit less of a reason to be around as regularly. While heading to another political site for discussion is generally not a bad idea in theory the vast majority of sites (or at least every one that I've seen) along those lines are polarized so far to one side or the other that it would lack any kind of entertainment or debate, it would either be talking with people of a similar viewpoint or being flamed simply for expressing a different viewpoint on an issue.

Having been around since the very beginning, I have vascillated between believing the CE forum was a malignant tumor on an otherwise great site.. and believing it was a necessary evil -- and participating robustly in it.

I also know that this particular sub-forum was almost ALWAYS on the chopping block while I was involved in the running of the site. Even when the new ownership decided to allow it to be "self-moderated," it still ate up resources and energy because the moderation of it probably never truly stopped.

I can't say I'll be losing any sleep over this sub-forum shutdown. I think, while the points about a few really good discussions are valid, the forum tragically became a place for some perspectives and opinions which were extreme and in some cases offensive (and that's not to say the owners of said opinions and perspectives aren't 100% entitled to them) to compound on each other and then be repeated ad infinitum until people just began to mock each other rather than actually discuss anything.

Purposelessly, if you ask me.

I'm not sorry it's gone. People will find other things to talk about.

Stef

I have to agree with Stef 100% here. CE was always 1/2 second from being cut when I was on staff, and I, for one, am not sorry to see it go either.

Aside to Stef: You MUST PM me the link to that error thing you have in your sig. Thanks!