Current Events Forum Closure Discussion

Personally, I welcome the closure. DCP as in DRUM CORPS PLANET has as its original charter, to provide a place for people to discuss DRUM CORPS. This was just an added side feature. In order to "do" a current events discussion forum correctly, you need to have enough moderators who have the ability to understand subtle nuances in discussion. Things aren't black and white. NOW, that being said when I say "ability" I'm in no way referring to intellectual ability. WHile I don't know Jami too well, I do know Geoff to be an intelligent person. My reference to "ability" is that two people....two people with full lives are not enough to do a CE Forum properly. PERIOD.

That being said, lets take this wonderful opportunity we have and make ourselves better people. Let's stop watching the news and formulate how we can turn it into a post on DCP full of zingers to zing the "other side". Let's stop simply #####ing at each other and trying to shove our opinions down another DCP poster's throat and actually DO something with all that passion.

at ethepeople.org you can enter in your zip code and they'll give you a list of all your elected officials. Write to them. Get on their websites and see how you can volunteer to help.

Go out and go for a walk.

Take your dog and a frisbee.

Give some money to your favorite organization. Here's one. Just kidding. Sorta.

Lets all DO something.

Doesn't anyone else feel like they've been broken free of a yucky black tar heroine addiction?

Free at last, Free at last....great GOD almighty, we are free at last.

I bid you adieu.

oh, and...rock on.

Edited by LisaLisaMoMeesa

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But.....how will I get a conservative view point besides Fox News?

Looks like I am going back to being a one sided liberal.

Goodbye CE, I hardly knew ya.

Personally, I welcome the closure. DCP as in DRUM CORPS PLANET has as its original charter, to provide a place for people to discuss DRUM CORPS. This was just an added side feature. In order to "do" a current events discussion forum correctly, you need to have enough moderators who have the ability to understand subtle nuances in discussion. Things aren't black and white. NOW, that being said when I say "ability" I'm in no way referring to intellectual ability. WHile I don't know Jami too well, I do know Geoff to be an intelligent person. My reference to "ability" is that two people....two people with full lives are not enough to do a CE Forum properly. PERIOD.

That being said, lets take this wonderful opportunity we have and make ourselves better people. Let's stop watching the news and formulate how we can turn it into a post on DCP full of zingers to zing the "other side". Let's stop simply #####ing at each other and trying to shove our opinions down another DCP poster's throat and actually DO something with all that passion.

at ethepeople.org you can enter in your zip code and they'll give you a list of all your elected officials. Write to them. Get on their websites and see how you can volunteer to help.

Go out and go for a walk.

Take your dog and a frisbee.

Give some money to your favorite organization. Here's one. Just kidding. Sorta.

Lets all DO something.

Doesn't anyone else feel like they've been broken free of a yucky black tar heroine addiction?

Free at last, Free at last....great GOD almighty, we are free at last.

I bid you adieu.

oh, and...rock on.

I tend to agree with you. I have been toying with both sides of this all morning before weighing in with my opinion.

On the one hand, I do see it as weak that DCP has chosen to close the forum, albeit the owners' choice to do so.

But, the bigger part of me does feel a bit of freedom at this closure. CE was the biggest reason I came here umpteen times a day. Although I enjoyed the part of it that challenged my thinking and caused me to really look at my viewpoints. But, in the end, I think I will enjoy using all of that time in a more worthwhile manner. I can talk to my CE buds in other places and stay in contact with them in other ways.

I'm ok with the closure.

This might be viewed by some as an example of why this has happened but what I find interesting is the opinion of those that are glad of this decision. Very interesting.

We could have kept the load on moderators light by having a little thicker skin and by reducing the size of your sacred cows list but apparently that wasn't possible for a small and very vocal group some of whom were very good at dishing it out but taking it... eh not so good. Yeah better to tear it down for everyone rather than leaving it standing for those that still found it entertaining and informative. Sad.

It is certainly within their rights to close the place.

Edited by sssidney

This might be viewed by some as an example of why this has happened but what I find interesting is the opinion of those that are glad of this decision. Very interesting.

We could have kept the load on moderators light by having a little thicker skin and by reducing the size of your sacred cows list but apparently that wasn't possible for a small and very vocal group some of whom were very good at dishing it out but taking it... eh not so good. Yeah better to tear it down for everyone rather than leaving it standing for those that still found it entertaining and informative. Sad.

It is certainly within their rights to close the place.

Well, I very seriously doubt the mods here have closed it down for "a select few". I think there were plenty of sacred cows to go around. Thee were plenty people all over the place protecting their sacred cows, while spearing others. THAT is what probably contributed to the closure of this place.

PS: when I was a mod here, there were INFINITELY more reports from one side of the political spectrum than the other.... so you'd be suprised who had the "thick skin" and who didn't.

customer? you're not paying to use dcp... dcp allows you to use it.

Maybe that's what needs to change.

I won't knock DCP for squashing a headache that serves no direct corps-related purpose that just costs money, but DCP SHOULD recognize that the Current Events forum was indeed a unique environment outside of BS political sites to discuss issues of the day, and a diverse discussion group the likes of which we've got here you probably couldn't find elsewhere if you tried.

I'm sure there are several on DCP that would gladly shoulder some level of financial responsibility to preserve the Current Events forum. I only ask that the matter be looked into on some level, and not just dismissed out of hand.

Well, I very seriously doubt the mods here have closed it down for "a select few". I think there were plenty of sacred cows to go around. Thee were plenty people all over the place protecting their sacred cows, while spearing others. THAT is what probably contributed to the closure of this place.

PS: when I was a mod here, there were INFINITELY more reports from one side of the political spectrum than the other.... so you'd be suprised who had the "thick skin" and who didn't.

I guess you're assuming that I felt that all the whiners were on one side? Nope. And as far as protecting your cows - well it's one thing to argue and backup your point it's quite another to go off and whine to the mods. So my totally uninformed , as always, opinion is that a few very vocal whiners could have made this place too much of a headache to be worth it.

"So my.................................opinion is that a few very vocal whiners could have made this place too much of a headache to be worth it."

For once out of a scant few times in my time here, I find myself in 1,000% agreement with Syd.

My heartfelt thanks and appreciation goes out to all those "whiners" out there who finally blew it for the rest of us.

Whoever said this place has taken on a personality of its own was right on. I love this place because of the people that post here. I dont care if I agree with them or not, they've become sorta family to me. Heck, I spend as much time talking to you guys as I do the people I work with.

I do not want to lose touch with everyone until we all find a suitable replacement whether that be Dans place or SoundMachine which is also DC related.

I'm even willing to see if we can put our heads together and start a CE forum for ex Drum Corps folks on our own.

I hate this decision and am very disappointed, too. Keep me in the loop guys if anyone finds a place- I need a new home away from home. :(

Side Note: DCP supports the DC community, well, we're part of that community, too. This is the only reason my interest as stayed on DC because my personal affiliation ended in '04. I think this is a sad day.

Edited by IRMO

Well, I don't know if I'm one of the "whiners" around here. I can probably count on one hand how many times I've hit the report button (more so recently than ever before).... but quite frankly, this place wasn't that great if you were looking for good heated discussion. Good, passionate, this is what I feel and this is why.....even a few "what the hell are you thinking????" posts made the soup taste good.

However, in the last 6 months or so, it went sour. Posts had a decidedly sarcastic tone, even in the thread titles "....but it will go ignored by the <inssert side of aisle here>" "....good stuff in Iraq, so naturally it won't be reported" "bad stuff in Iraq, so naturally it won't be reported" "Hey Lefties, what do you ahve to say now?" "Hey Righties... what do you ahve to say now".

On top of the really sarcastic tone the place took, there were a few people who were allowed to just come in, drop a bomb so totally not even in the neighborhood of good topical discussion and, I guess, our hands were tied to, as members on a member driven message board, DO anything about it. And if you tried, because you are a member who has called this place home for 5 years and would like to take care of it, you were called a "whiner" and told to turn the other cheek.

I'm sorry I cared about this place, sorry I tried to help it be a place where everyone could discuss things, sorry I thought there should be some level of decorum, sorry I worked to protect everyone's sacred cows, not just mine, (wish everyone did) sorry I realized what was allowed to be crapped on around here and what's not, sorry that bothered me, sorry I had higher expectations....but if all that makes me a whiner, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll never be sorry about that.

This place didn't go away because of the whiners. God, we always have to have a demon we can identify and point to, don't we? Just remember that old saying...there's three fingers pointing right back at you.

This place went away because we cared more about beating each other over the head with our opinions, our biting comments and our zingers than we cared about taking care of this place and each other.

Edited by LisaLisaMoMeesa