The Glassmen

The thread title made me feel old. :P

Anyway, dittos to the comment about the 92-96 unis...psychedelic easter bunny puke.

But yeah, those were some great shows. I remember people being pretty shocked by the great show they put out in 98, but I actually preferred the '99 show, though "back in the day," there was a lot of disdain for it. I'd guess that they're not placing as high because the shows aren't designed or performed well enough to place that high...just guessing. :P

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Glassmen will we back in the top five within the next year or two. I think with all the Boring, lets go get a hot dog while they perform comments, they wanted to try something new. Mr. Hickman knows what he is doing and I hope that they are going to lay the smack down on everyone that has made fun of them in the past few years.

When I saw the thread title I thought there was gonna be a picture of the corps in the Prussian helmets and the blue and orange uniforms, but when I saw your back in the day meant 97-99 I realized back in the day means many different things to many different people.

Dont worry, Salas will get the ship goin again!..................

I don't think there's any question that having Sal Salas back is a huge plus for the Glassmen. IMO, if the Gmen want to climb back into the fray, they need a long term commitment to developing a brassline that can play. Top 5 is pretty much out of the question anymore unless you have a top shelf brass program. Things have changed since 01. You now have corps like Crown and BK lurking out there that have solid lines too. Maybe some of the old Madison brass staff that Sal brought with him will help.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

I don't think there's any question that having Sal Salas back is a huge plus for the Glassmen. IMO, if the Gmen want to climb back into the fray, they need a long term commitment to developing a brassline that can play. Top 5 is pretty much out of the question anymore unless you have a top shelf brass program. Things have changed since 01. You now have corps like Crown and BK lurking out there that have solid lines too. Maybe some of the old Madison brass staff that Sal brought with him will help.

I think it's been a matter of transition to a different brass program and the maturing of the line. Last year the Robert W. Smith sound came into its own. Now let's see what they do with it.

Lee Beddis has that effect any where he does. Glassman 1998 and 1999 were fantastic years for them throughout each section.

Hmm..I can think of a certian corps with a really good Brassline and CG who's previously struggling drumline has him this year..oh yeah!!

I think it's been a matter of transition to a different brass program and the maturing of the line. Last year the Robert W. Smith sound came into its own. Now let's see what they do with it.

True, their line has been young and going through some transition. They were 12th in brass last year though, which, IMO obviously has to change in order to even think about top eight, let alone top 5. Having said that, the Glassmen are a very capable organization and could easily make the move. Waymire was a nice addition too.

Edited by oldtimedrummer