The Glassmen

I feel it's a Glassmen tradition - Play an awesome show, but wear silly-looking uniforms.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

98 and 99 = back in the day?!?

ugh, i feel old too.

When I saw the title of this thread, I though it was going to be about the Thomas Dolby and Just a Gigolo shows, lol.

Man, they could march. Some of the cleanest stuff I've ever seen, especially 1999.

Now the scary part abut their visual staff in 99 was that it was mostly only three guys that toured all summer. There were some weekend warriors but for the most part it was Joey Wever, Jon Bay, and Rouland Charles teaching visual.

The big change came after 2002 when everything changed except for a few brass and visual staff. After 2002 the percussion, guard , program coordinators all left and that bought the change and was part of the reason as to why they fell out of the top 12 in 2003.

Shannon

Does anyone recall the 1998 and 1999 years for the glassmen. That was amazing stuff they were putting out on the field. Does anyone know what happened? As to why arent they placing 5th on average anymore.

I'm 27 years old, and my biggest concern is that someone actually referred to 98 and 99 as back in the day.

Just kidding, sir. I know I'm getting up there in age.

Haha, I'm just messing. I really do love the Gmen, and their 93 show is one of my favorites from that year. Between the freaky colors and the giant G, those unis just didn't quite work for me, though. Were those 92/93 unis as uncomfortable as they look? Looks like they're made of vinyl. Ug.

Oh wait, I just noticed that I said 92-96 again. I meant 94-96. Wow, I'm dim tonight.

The jacket was a normal jacket, but the black part of the overlay, I believe, was made from vinyl tablecloth. (At least, that's what it looked like on close inspection)

Haha, I'm just messing. I really do love the Gmen, and their 93 show is one of my favorites from that year. Between the freaky colors and the giant G, those unis just didn't quite work for me, though. Were those 92/93 unis as uncomfortable as they look? Looks like they're made of vinyl. Ug.

Yes, we were wearing table cloths for overlays in '92 and '93.

Don't look at me, I had nothing to do with it.

Now the scary part abut their visual staff in 99 was that it was mostly only three guys that toured all summer. There were some weekend warriors but for the most part it was Joey Wever, Jon Bay, and Rouland Charles teaching visual.

Joey Weaver could tour on his own and make the corps march that good. He is a god.

The big change came after 2002 when everything changed except for a few brass and visual staff. After 2002 the percussion, guard , program coordinators all left and that bought the change and was part of the reason as to why they fell out of the top 12 in 2003.

Shannon

No. The real scary part of the '99 show was the young lady on sabre who ran through the closing triangle. She looked like she really, really meant every bit of the chopping moves she did. It still scares my 11 year old when she watches the DVD. b**bs

I will always defend the 2003 program, as it's the one that finally made me hop on the booster bandwagon. I saw the show early in Allentown and several times through the season. Having friends who are pretty old school, you wouldn't believe the comments I heard. In retrospect, it probably was the culmination of the "boring" years. However, in Orlando, the kids executed it like a Swiss watch; particularly in quarterfinals. It's still my favorite show to watch even though I have to watch it on video.

Thread titles can be misleading. For some of us - "Glassmen Back in the Day" means: "Bye Bye, Birdie" ; "That's All" ; one bus (half-full), and red and black home made uniforms.

Man, I haven't felt this old in .... about 20 minutes.