The Glassmen

I will always defend the 2003 program, as it's the one that finally made me hop on the booster bandwagon. I saw the show early in Allentown and several times through the season. Having friends who are pretty old school, you wouldn't believe the comments I heard. In retrospect, it probably was the culmination of the "boring" years. However, in Orlando, the kids executed it like a Swiss watch; particularly in quarterfinals. It's still my favorite show to watch even though I have to watch it on video.

this made my heart melt a bit. :laugh:

I'd give my right arm to play w/that hornline again. (after I got to play of course)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I saw the thread title I thought there was gonna be a picture of the corps in the Prussian helmets and the blue and orange uniforms, but when I saw your back in the day meant 97-99 I realized back in the day means many different things to many different people.

True dat. I had visions of the sky blue jackets and the orange "horse hair" on the Calvary helmets. Or even the questionable sky blue unis from '86 when the corps was climbing back from the abyss.

Glassmen looked really good on TV today at the Indy 500 Parade. Unfortnuately, the microphone placements didn't catch very much of the brass.

Heh.... the Glassmen in 2001 fell into the "guilty pleasure" category for me. Saw 'em at DCI East in Philly that year....I had read all this stuff on the Internet about how boring they were, and at various shows had heard folks commenting about how the Glassmen put them to sleep, etc.

But that night at DCI East (my first viewing of them that year), I found myself enjoying their show! I was kinda thinking, maybe this is just me....do I dare tell anyone else.....LOL

Fran

Heh.... the Glassmen in 2001 fell into the "guilty pleasure" category for me. Saw 'em at DCI East in Philly that year....I had read all this stuff on the Internet about how boring they were, and at various shows had heard folks commenting about how the Glassmen put them to sleep, etc.

But that night at DCI East (my first viewing of them that year), I found myself enjoying their show! I was kinda thinking, maybe this is just me....do I dare tell anyone else.....LOL

I really enjoy G-men shows, favorites include 99, 01-02. In fact, they were one of the corps I was heavily considering auditioning for in 03 based on the strenght of those shows.

I've listened to GMen 98, in particular, a ton over the years...probably somewhat because 1998 was the year I really fell in love with drum corps, but that 98 show was great, I need to check others out more often... kudos 98 drumline and mellophones...

• 3 months later...
Thread titles can be misleading. For some of us - "Glassmen Back in the Day" means: "Bye Bye, Birdie" ; "That's All" ; one bus (half-full), and red and black home made uniforms.

Man, I haven't felt this old in .... about 20 minutes.

Yeah I can relate to that.... :P I marched the 75 & the all too short never got started 76 season.... That's back in the "Day" to me....What years did you march???? Yeah I feel old too.... Time for a nap.... :laugh:

Edited by k357

Where have all the Falvies gone? :)

(a rhetorical question)

I think part of it is that the activity as a whole caught up with them - couple that with a less successful 2000 show and you have their current state. They are a good corps, one of my personal favorites (even through hte boring years).

Well, if you must know

Jeremiah - Phoenix

Andy - Des Moines

Joe - Dallas

Lee - Detroit

yeah, I started feeling old realizing that next year is the 10 year anniversary of the year I marched. Now to refer to it as "back in the day" (which is always happened on a Wednesday for you Dane Cook fans) makes it seem even longer.
:sshh: This is to Fran & G-bass 598 . I can relate with you Fran my age out year was in 1972 and I also was at that same Key to the Sea show ! And for you G-bass I never got the chance to tell any of guy's and gal's how extremely proud I am :music: of all of you !! Well here goes I'M SO PROUD !! I'm one of the original bass drummer's of the corps and I marched with all three corps , Maumee Sun's Glass City Optimist and the one we all know and love the GLASSMEN . :music: