The Glassmen

:sshh: This is to Fran & G-bass 598 . I can relate with you Fran my age out year was in 1972 and I also was at that same Key to the Sea show ! And for you G-bass I never got the chance to tell any of guy's and gal's how extremely proud I am :music: of all of you !! Well here goes I'M SO PROUD !! I'm one of the original bass drummer's of the corps and I marched with all three corps , Maumee Sun's Glass City Optimist and the one we all know and love the GLASSMEN . :music:

That's great to hear. Thank you. It's great to be a part of such a family like the Glassmen bass line. I make it a point to meet the bass line every summer on tour and I actually have a student of mine playing in the bass line now.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will however give huge props to the guard program they've had the last 3 years.

As much as the 97 to 99 shows were great - the guards those years really weren't up to par (especially '97 -ouch!!!)

But, these last couple of years (starting with their first year back in finals) the guard has been nothing less than stellar!!

I've become a huge fan.

Later,

Mike

Where have all the Falvies gone? :)

(a rhetorical question)

I think part of it is that the activity as a whole caught up with them - couple that with a less successful 2000 show and you have their current state. They are a good corps, one of my personal favorites (even through hte boring years).

I was taught by a Falvie in highschool, he was a great teacher. I'm hoping to end up at Glassmen next year, I'm glad to hear a lot of positive comments in this thread..

That's great to hear. Thank you. It's great to be a part of such a family like the Glassmen bass line. I make it a point to meet the bass line every summer on tour and I actually have a student of mine playing in the bass line now.
:) Oh really who's that cause I was just with all five of them on Saturday night at the corps banquet . We all got our picture taken together and it was really awsome ! I kind of adopted all 5 of those guy's this year . We have a mutual nickname for each other but I can't say what it is in this post because some dipstick might take it the wrong way if you know what I mean . Just tell your student to keep those chop's cooking and the old b-st--d will see him in November . b**bs

'98 and '99 are two of my favorite shows ever. hell yeah mellophones. amazing hornlines and drumlines, and really solid visual programs as well.

I think the Glassmen will we back in the top five within the next year or two. I think with all the Boring, lets go get a hot dog while they perform comments, they wanted to try something new. Mr. Hickman knows what he is doing and I hope that they are going to lay the smack down on everyone that has made fun of them in the past few years.

Well, that's the first comment like that I've seen this off-season. Let's do this...instead of asking who they're going to pass, list for me the four corps that will place ahead of them, hmm??? Believe me, I'd love to see Glassmen, Blue Knights, and Boston all pass a couple corps and place 4/5/6, but realistically, who will drop down?

I'm not hating Glassmen, but remember, they beat, what was it?, Phantom and Cavies in 98? Don't remember. I'm not familiar with Gmen's show in the era in question, but ask yourselves--did they rise up, or did this other two elite corps take a noticeable step down?

It is EXTREMELY difficult to rise into the top 6 corps when one of those is down--virtually impossible when they are ALL firing on all cylinders, as now.

The experience card has now been placed again. BD, Cavies, Cadets, Phantom, and SCV all have that experience. History, tradition, veteran staffers who came up through their programs, alumni, etc. Now, do Glassmen have all of these to some degree? Yes, but their experience, in general, is forged in the 8-14 range--not the top 6. It is extremely hard to rise to the next level when you have corps like Cavies who have been top 3 all decade--never placed lower than 3rd since 2000--BD who hasn't placed lower than 5th since today's age-out's were born; Cadets who have almost as many rings as we each have fingers; etc. Phantom kind of owns the 3/4 spot. Crown and Bluecoats who have joined the upper echelon and are not looking behind them, but in front of them. SCV who is always capable of punching out a stellar show and should never be counted out of the hunt.

Where does a corps like Glassmen pass these corps? How? Can it be done? Sure! But, boy, that would be an accomplishment right now--more impressive right now than what Crown and Blooo have done recently, because Gmen would have to pass them as well!

Concentrate on Colts, Boston, and Blue Knights. If they take a step forward again this year, Glassmen must keep up. That is the first rule of 2008--play keep up! If the 8-17 corps all do this well in 2008 and 2009, then things start to get a bit interesting. When we have 7 corps within 4 points and the 4/6/7 corps are challenging for caption awards, we think we're in a competitive Renassaince. What about when all finalists are scoring above 95 in finals? Hmm??? THAT'S when you'll see some fun movement between the 8-12 corps and the 1-7 corps (2007 placements).

For now, concentrate on who is ahead of Gmen, because those directly behind them are looking to and past Glassmen. Exciting times ahead, folks! Hang on for the ride!