Goodbye DCP

in 1985 I had two finals the day of our first show, which happened to be at my university. I hadn't practiced with the corps for a while, watched the show from the stands then packed up my dorm and moved home. The corps went on to their second show. I met up with them later in the week and learned the show (2nd bass) and marched the third show and the rest of the season. Didn't know all the drum parts in my first show, but learned the drill, and drum solo for sure. The rest of the bass line just covered me until I got the full book down. Only took a week or so.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would've auditioned for Div I this year but school for me ends on June 21st and I didn't want to miss the end of my senior year, even if they let me take finals early. So yeah, school in NJ gets out late too. :laugh:

Daniel,

I have a friend from N.J. who's marching Cadets this year - as a gradruating High School senior. He wrote a letter to the local School Board, informing them of the "character building experience" that a season can be. They required him to write an essay and present it at a School Board meeting. They approved him to leave 2 weeks early, for Cadets camp. But he had to complete some course work early - and then he had to study while he was there and fly home for a few Final Exams last week. AND on the same trip back home he also had to attend graduation cermonies.

Just thought I'd pass that along. Apparently it is sometimes possible to make corps and school fit together when they overlap... if you are persuasive, get lucky and are willing to work hard for it. B)

Oh and GOOD LUCK to anyone who's marching corps this summer. I wish you all the best. And I hope regardless of scores and placements, it's everything you wish for... or at least as memorable and wonderful as drum corps was for me.

I envy and respect you all. :worthy:

Edited by bradrick

Thank you Inavis and bradrick for your words. I was aware that I could've probably missed my senior year to do Div I, but I really wanted to stay for the end of my senior year anyway. Plus, I also wanted to stay with the Raiders for at least one more year before I march Div I anyway, especially now that we're growing and made the move from Div III to Div II, I want to be a part of the (hopeful) rise of this corps.

As for Div I, I've got plenty of time anyway...I'm lucky and I get the extra year by a week (born on June 8th) so I age out in 2011, so it's not like I don't have anymore time for it.

Besides, you have to audition for and make a Div I corps before you march it anyway, lol.

I graduated on June 22, so depends on where you are. I know MA school seniors tend to get out very early. I had to stay so late because we had like 6 snow days that year. The northeast sucks like that. But yeah. Brian and Bobby, I won't see any of your shows this year, well maybe brian. But, I'll look for you on the finals DVD. and yes, I mean both of you. :)