Valveless Bugle?

CourtOfHonorMember

Do not get the Kanstul Powerbore if you have a choice between it ands the regular straight bore.

It is not a gimmick - I used to have one but sold in back to the corps.

It takes a lot of air, more so than the regular bore.

I have been using a Deg which I like, but I've been looking for a K reg bore.

I have played both K's and I can play higher on the reg bore.

The reg bore is also a little cheaper.

Darth Vayda

NY SKY alumni

If you can play higher on a tighter bore than you are a player that uses the resistance of the horn to support your embouchure. This is not a bad thing. It means that you probably can't "free buzz" very well, though. However, people that have learned to use the natural resistance of the horn and mouthpiece generally have very good endurance also.

A freer blowing horn, regardless of the bore size doesn't help everyone, as I've said before. It is a clear case of everyone being different. Some prefer a free blowing horn, some don't. The term "powerbore" is still a marketing gimmick, IMO. If you can't play on it, then there isn't much "power" to it, is there? They are selling the word "POWER".

I agree with you about the DEG. I think they have found a nice balance with their G bugles and I even like their marching Bb trumpet. I believe they are made by WERIL in Brazil. I know it's popular on here to bash DEG, but in my long experience in drum corps, longer than many of the posters here have been alive, I have always been satisfied with their product.