What other corps wear sunglasses besides your corps?

Wow - must be a slow news day if this is actually a thread.

I Stomp Rich

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wore my sunglasses at DCA 2002.

But then again, mine are prescription.

Honestly - I think wearing sunglasses on the field is stupid...unless it's part of the uniform (Renegades). There's a reason it's called a uniform - everyone looks the SAME. DCI kids have day shows all the time - you don't see them wearing sunglasses in competition...A few horn players wearing sunglasses looks bad, imho.

:blink:

most DCA shows ARE night shows.

out here on the west coast we ususally go on durring the day ... the Jr corps' go on after the Sr corps do So out here 99.99% of the time for us we're on when the sun is still up

Honestly - I think wearing sunglasses on the field is stupid...unless it's part of the uniform (Renegades). There's a reason it's called a uniform - everyone looks the SAME. DCI kids have day shows all the time - you don't see them wearing sunglasses in competition...A few horn players wearing sunglasses looks bad, imho.

I have to agree that its all or none ... Renegades its a a part of the uniform ( just like to other corps' a shako / pith helmet / aussie is part of there uniform ) only requirement is they must be black ( as Im sure you could have guessed )

Sun glasses are not just a fashion statement. They also serve a purpose - protecting your eyes.

Just copied this from a fitness magazine.

"UV rays are invisible, high-energy rays of light that, if absorbed by your eyes, can cause or enhance several eye ailments. This happens because the UV light can cause a reaction in our eye tissue. And once it occurs, it cannot be reversed.

The UV rays can play a large role in the following eye diseases:

Cataract – Clouding of the eye; causes blurring or dimming of vision – UV rays are the largest culprit in the formation of cataracts

Pteryguim – Tissue growth on the whites of eyes; can block vision

Skin cancer – Eyelids and facial skin can develop melanoma

Age-related macular degeneration – Deterioration of the eye’s macula (sensitive center of the retina).

Preventing sunburn

Taking care of your eyes should be a top concern for all no matter the time of the year, but especially during the hot summer months of June, July and August.

Sunglasses provide one of the best sources of UV protection. In order to properly protect your eyes, choose sunglasses that over at least 95 percent UV protection. Also, choose a lens tint that blocks 80 percent of transmissible light, but no more than 90-92 percent of light because lens tint does not protect you from UV rays, and can affect your ability to see correctly. Large lenses that fit close to the eyes are best. Those that block visible blue light are even safer.

Top your head with a hat

The simple combination of a hat and sunglasses can give you all the protection you need to protect those baby blues."

Empire! Early 90's we encouraged the horn players to wear them in daylight especially prelims. The lead sops all wore Ray Bans with our white tuxes. I have always been pro shades for day shows in DCA corps, exactly for the reason that Camel said. Squinting makes it harder to control your embouchure resulting in pitch and accuracy problems. We had some pretty good hornlines in those days, but I still encourage it now in DCA, probably not as acceptable in DCI.

Donny

Most DCA shows are NOT night shows. Or at least their start times are not at Night. Especially down in the south where it doesn't get dark until after 8:30pm this time of year. Most DCA shows I've done start at about 2pm, 4pm, and maybe 6pm to 7:30pm. Even at the championships, the only corps that go on at Night are the top ten. Aside from that Friday thing.

Having been in the smaller corps, we go on about 5pm to 7pm at the latest. Which means not only is the sun up, but it's right behind the drum major the entire show. Most of the shows I've done, we're back on the road and headed for home before it even gets dark.

Most DCA shows are NOT night shows. Or at least their start times are not at Night. Especially down in the south where it doesn't get dark until after 8:30pm this time of year. Most DCA shows I've done start at about 2pm, 4pm, and maybe 6pm to 7:30pm. Even at the championships, the only corps that go on at Night are the top ten. Aside from that Friday thing.

Having been in the smaller corps, we go on about 5pm to 7pm at the latest. Which means not only is the sun up, but it's right behind the drum major the entire show. Most of the shows I've done, we're back on the road and headed for home before it even gets dark.

obviously you don't follow anything other than what corps it is you are participating with.

and hey ~ that's fine. but if you look at the DCA schedule and the start times of all the OTHER DCA shows you will see that the rest of the corps rarely have anything that starts at 2 or 4 PM unless there is the once or twice a year Sunday show. :)

In Dream we either all wear them or we all don't...so the shades ARE worn in a uniform manner. With the exception of West Coast Showdown, Dream has yet to go on after the sun has set, so the shades are typically needed.

up until my most recent pair of eyeglasses was made, i was required to have darkened lenses. it goes back to an eye problem i was diagnosed with in 6th grade.

i was once told no sunglasses and but it's not like i can take the tint out of my lenses. so a staff member put on my eye glasses and declared "well she definately CAN'T march without them!" yup ~ i'm really that blind without them. :lolhit: