What would you do?

Your reaction was completely reasonable, though I wouldn't worry too much about it happening again. We all have our days when we're in such a hurry we forget to do basic things, such as make sure the door closed all the way or was locked. While what could have happened is scary, what didn't happen is really what matters here. It will be fine.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends, do you live in Newark?

Okay as some of you may know, I house three kids in for a D1 corps. This is their 2nd year in my home and for the most part, everything has been fine. I don't personally have any kids marching but I thought it would be a nice gesture and a way to give back to a corps who I had no local ties with. That is until a couple of years ago by housing and doing some volunteering. But something happened today that nearly put my future and my life at risk.

The way the situation is, I leave for work about 1/2 hour before they head off to all days. There really is no other option for me at work to come in a little later. I am single and have no kids of my own. I have enough trust in these kids that I have supplied them with their own set of keys to the house. Sometimes I work a 15 hour day and they make it home before I do and they have their own vehicles as well. They leave their cars at my house all summer which is not a problem as long as they leave me their keys so I can move them around my driveway i.e. lawnwork, a furniture truck, whatever. Well, I leave this morning, say my goodbyes and good luck for the day and drive off as my car is parked next to theirs. Today was a 13 hour workday for me. Get home at 8:30PM to have a hour to prepare dinner and what do I encounter as I come up to my front porch? They left the front door completely WIDE OPEN when they left this morning. I can't tell you the nervousness and emotions that went thru me as I went in my house. Went to each room and yelled out to see if anybody was around( maybe one was ill and came home for the day early, I was hoping) Nope. Nobody home and my house was unlocked for 13 hours and I'm not in the best or worst neighborhood in town, but the fact that anybody could have and somehow luckily didn't invade my home.

I'm talking, computers, laptops, cell phones, digital cameras, stereo equipment, credit cards, bank info, musical instruments a little emergency money stashed away and their personal belongings to boot. But the kicker was, the keys to one of the kids cars was left on my kitchen table with the logos on the keys and the car sitting on my driveway. Neither the door lock or the deadbolt was locked. The door was left WIDE OPEN!! I wanted to come down on them like you wouldn't believe, but cooler head prevailed before they came home. I fed them, chatted with them for a moment and ask the one that I'm good friends with if I could speak with her in private. In an adult manner I'm proud to say, I explained the situation and relayed the severity of it and she agreed and offered an apology and promised it wouldn't happen again. But I can't help but be a little nervous from here on out. I know thay have a lot on their minds. They come home tired, mesquito stung, dirty, hungry and frustrated with the toll the all days are taking on them. They are beaten to a pulp and usually go straight to bed after showering and eating and get up every morning in pain even after 8 hours rest. I can't help but feel the corps may be a little responsible for what occured at my home today as I noticed the kids are losing their focus and stamina little by little each day which has resulted in their sloppy behavior around my house lately. Of course I doubt no corps would ever admit to working kids too hard, but these kids are solid veterans who have been around a while and they look like they need a little time off to recharge their batteries. A little time I said. Not a week or 3-4 days, but something more manageable to give them time to go to all days fully focused and ready to go. I really wanted to give these kids a piece of my mind, but I've marched, I know the stress and pain they are under and I believe I handled it the right way as I do have a special and close relationship with all three of these kids. I though had never experienced such a sloppy mistake like the one that they had made today and put my personal life at risk. I believe they did not do this on purpose, but what could have been scares the heck out of me. Any opinions out there?

When I was marching SCV back in the day I was also working part-time at my dads mattress store. One day I was eating an oversized orange and somebody said lets go we have a delivory to make. So I tossed my orange peel into the bathroom making a splash into the toilet and I gave it a good flush and took off on the delivery. On the way back I was driving up the alley and I saw a toilet laying on it's side with an orange peel next to it about 50 feet from the store. When I pulled in my dad ran up to the window with a box cutter in his hand and wanded me to roll down the window. He asked me if I had thrown an orange peel in the toliet. I said, 'yes' without any hesitation. He told me to get back to rear of the store to clean up the flood surrounding the warehoused inventory of all of new brass headboards. I was told he was so mad that he literally ripped the toilet from the floor with his bare hands and flung it down the alley. I certainly had no intentions of doing it on purpose. To bad there wasn't ritalin for young males like me or prozac for my dad. lol

I have read that executive skills do come later in development for males.

Mom

Edited by Snapettes Mom

Here's a thought...If they're 20 year olds, they're NOT KIDS! They're adults.

They should be acting like responsible ADULTS. Y'all are making way too many excuses for them if you ask me.

As the nanny says, "That behavior is totally unacceptable", plus it goes against everything that drum corps is supposed to be teaching them. There is no excuse for them being too tired to do their responsibilities.

Having done the same thing to my OWN house in my early 30s, I'd say it has little to do with age and hopefully is just a one-time mistake. Having no one else staying at my house, I had no one to get upset with but myself. I had never thought of the fact that a true burglar probably would have shut the door so there wasn't anything for me to be concerned about.

I stand by m earlier post about giving someone else a key and having them keep tabs on your place. Now that I think about it, you could probably even call the police and ask them to keep an eye on your house for you with your current situation.

Okay as some of you may know, I house three kids in for a D1 corps. This is their 2nd year in my home and for the most part, everything has been fine. I don't personally have any kids marching but I thought it would be a nice gesture and a way to give back to a corps who I had no local ties with. That is until a couple of years ago by housing and doing some volunteering. But something happened today that nearly put my future and my life at risk.

The way the situation is, I leave for work about 1/2 hour before they head off to all days. There really is no other option for me at work to come in a little later. I am single and have no kids of my own. I have enough trust in these kids that I have supplied them with their own set of keys to the house. Sometimes I work a 15 hour day and they make it home before I do and they have their own vehicles as well. They leave their cars at my house all summer which is not a problem as long as they leave me their keys so I can move them around my driveway i.e. lawnwork, a furniture truck, whatever. Well, I leave this morning, say my goodbyes and good luck for the day and drive off as my car is parked next to theirs. Today was a 13 hour workday for me. Get home at 8:30PM to have a hour to prepare dinner and what do I encounter as I come up to my front porch? They left the front door completely WIDE OPEN when they left this morning. I can't tell you the nervousness and emotions that went thru me as I went in my house. Went to each room and yelled out to see if anybody was around( maybe one was ill and came home for the day early, I was hoping) Nope. Nobody home and my house was unlocked for 13 hours and I'm not in the best or worst neighborhood in town, but the fact that anybody could have and somehow luckily didn't invade my home.

I'm talking, computers, laptops, cell phones, digital cameras, stereo equipment, credit cards, bank info, musical instruments a little emergency money stashed away and their personal belongings to boot. But the kicker was, the keys to one of the kids cars was left on my kitchen table with the logos on the keys and the car sitting on my driveway. Neither the door lock or the deadbolt was locked. The door was left WIDE OPEN!! I wanted to come down on them like you wouldn't believe, but cooler head prevailed before they came home. I fed them, chatted with them for a moment and ask the one that I'm good friends with if I could speak with her in private. In an adult manner I'm proud to say, I explained the situation and relayed the severity of it and she agreed and offered an apology and promised it wouldn't happen again. But I can't help but be a little nervous from here on out. I know thay have a lot on their minds. They come home tired, mesquito stung, dirty, hungry and frustrated with the toll the all days are taking on them. They are beaten to a pulp and usually go straight to bed after showering and eating and get up every morning in pain even after 8 hours rest. I can't help but feel the corps may be a little responsible for what occured at my home today as I noticed the kids are losing their focus and stamina little by little each day which has resulted in their sloppy behavior around my house lately. Of course I doubt no corps would ever admit to working kids too hard, but these kids are solid veterans who have been around a while and they look like they need a little time off to recharge their batteries. A little time I said. Not a week or 3-4 days, but something more manageable to give them time to go to all days fully focused and ready to go. I really wanted to give these kids a piece of my mind, but I've marched, I know the stress and pain they are under and I believe I handled it the right way as I do have a special and close relationship with all three of these kids. I though had never experienced such a sloppy mistake like the one that they had made today and put my personal life at risk. I believe they did not do this on purpose, but what could have been scares the heck out of me. Any opinions out there?

I think you did an excellent job handling that situation given the circumstances. Any other person would have probably snapped and thrown the kids out immediately. One thing I would suggest though is before you leave the house, probably give them a reminder to make sure they lock up when they leave.

Lancer lady: Do you think that age makes you an adult? Ever been around ANY spring break? There are not very many 21 year old adults there. I know it looks like I paint the poor little kids picture, but that is just how it came across by me. I don't think they are innocent, nor do I think they did anything with any negative intent. They messed up and they learn from their mistakes, awesome. They don't learn from their mistakes and Blue Star could use a couple new members....

They don't learn from their mistakes and Blue Star could use a couple new members....

For the record, the Blue Stars members are sleeping at their training facility.

Lancer lady: Do you think that age makes you an adult? Ever been around ANY spring break? There are not very many 21 year old adults there. I know it looks like I paint the poor little kids picture, but that is just how it came across by me. I don't think they are innocent, nor do I think they did anything with any negative intent. They messed up and they learn from their mistakes, awesome. They don't learn from their mistakes and Blue Star could use a couple new members....

I think that alot of todays drum corps adults baby young adults too much by labeling them. "They're just kids". No they're not. They are old enough to have their own apartments, and pay their own bills. They are 20 years old.

I'm glad they did learn from their mistakes.

I'm talking about this other aspect of it, the one where all the labeling is going on. "They're just kids".

Not in the real world's eyes. They should feel lucky that nothing horrible happened.

And yes I was a young adult once who also lived with people as an out of stater. I would've never done anything like that, because I was taught to respect the situation from the corps I was marching in. That's another aspect of it, Drum corps teaches you to be adults, and how to handle all sorts of situations. Not to mention the fact that I was staying with the corps director. lol.

Edited by Lancerlady

When I was marching SCV back in the day I was also working part-time at my dads mattress store. One day I was eating an oversized orange and somebody said lets go we have a delivory to make. So I tossed my orange peel into the bathroom making a splash into the toilet and I gave it a good flush and took off on the delivery. On the way back I was driving up the alley and I saw a toilet laying on it's side with an orange peel next to it about 50 feet from the store. When I pulled in my dad ran up to the window with a box cutter in his hand and wanded me to roll down the window. He asked me if I had thrown an orange peel in the toliet. I said, 'yes' without any hesitation. He told me to get back to rear of the store to clean up the flood surrounding the warehoused inventory of all of new brass headboards. I was told he was so mad that he literally ripped the toilet from the floor with his bare hands and flung it down the alley. I certainly had no intentions of doing it on purpose. To bad there wasn't ritalin for young males like me or prozac for my dad. lol

I have read that executive skills do come later in development for males.

Mom

That is THE best story I've heard in a long time!!! :)