Corps Acquaintances

Oh, I almost forgot a more recent discovery was at our own Church. I play back up drums, and the kid who plays sometimes also was talking about doing some drumming on the side for some show like a drums only type show, and I said, "You mean like a drum corps show", and his eyes lit up. His dad is the music minister and they began to talk about it. Joshua the kid said, "yeah, like that", and we began to talk. Turns out he loves Phantom Regiment and The Cavaliers. His dad told me he was impressed with what he was seeing that his son is always showing it to him. He thought it was really cool that both my husband and I marched. :)

Looks like we have a future drum corps guy! We talked for awhile about it and he may go to the Memphis show with us and maybe Murfreesboro!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching Dutch Boy practise the first week end in May and when I was walking across the street to go to Best Buy to use their facilities, a guy asked me if Dutch Boy was practising. I said "Ya, did you march drum corp?" He said " I marched with Anaheim and De La Salle. you heard of them ??" This guy wasn't much older than I am and we talked for about twenty minutes and he went on his way and I hurried on mine.

He was a nice guy, as most drum corps ALUMNI are !!!

Edited by ODBC

Oh and there was this one time at band camp......I met Hopkins, just teasing.

Back when I worked full-time, a new guy came into our department. Months later, I wore my Bucs sweatshirt to work and he flipped out. Turns out he had marched Bucs as well. His last year was '99, my first year was 2000. We had a great time swapping stories and confusing our co-workers.

The assistant manager at my husband's second job marched Crossmen. He found that out when making conversation about me.

Our daughter has marched Mandarins, SCV A Corps and now BD A corps... I often wear drum corps tshirts, and last summer I was in the post office, sending her a care package (she was then in SCV), wearing a Mandarins t-shirt... the guy several places in line behind me stopped me on my way out to say he wished Mandarins luck, and that he'd marched Freelancer's. We talked for a bit, which got others in the line interested in the conversation, and someone else had marched some other corps, although I don't recall which one... I didn't recognize the name at the time.

Also last summer, my husband's office needed painting, and he'd somehow been referred to a guy who we ended up hiring to do the job... As he came in from the parking lot one day, he noticed the Mandarins' license plate frame and Santa Clara Vanguard sticker in the back of my husband's car window... he told us he'd marched SCV back in either the 70s or 80s. He wanted to meet our daughter, and "talk drum corps" with her, but she wasn't able to meet him before she left on tour.

Another time we called a plumbing company to come replace our garbage disposal... the guy who came to do the work saw photos of my daughter in her Mandarins' uniform, and said he'd marched Blue Devils several years prior.

Almost every time she'd be out in public wearing her corps jacket, at NON corps related times, inevitably someone would come up and tell us how they'd either marched Mandarins or Freelancer's (both based out of Sacramento where we live) or some other corps, often SCV or BD (since we don't live far from either corps headquarters).

It wasn't long after she started marching that I realized how small drum corps makes the world. I'm sure there are other stories more "remarkable" of us running into people involved with the activity, but those are the more recent ones that I can recall.

My best friend hitched a ride with some of her other friends that I had never met until last winter who worked with her a long time ago at Disneyland. They were geologists, who were passing through Phoenix on the way to Tuscon for a mineral and gem show. Her friend came in when they dropped her off and noticed my Christmas card from Pacific Crest. She said that her husband marched PC - aged out right before I started marching with them. I met him when they picked her up a few days later... his mom turned out to be the corps treasurer, who I had just spoken to when purchasing my tickets for Pasadena (in the PC block) not a week before.

I love how small the world can be sometimes!

Edited by MelloSteph

During four days off in the 2005 season, I was sitting at home when my mom came in and said my dad would like for me to come up to where he was working. It was in July and some toy store up the road was doing Christmas in July and since my dad is a professional photographer, he was asked to take pictures of kids as they sat in Santa Claus' lap. When I got there, we were just talking a little when Santa asked how I was enjoying my summer. I said it was going good and that I leave again soon. Since very few people know what drum corps is where I live, I was about to explain what I was doing (I think I had my corps jacket on, not sure) when my dad looked at me and said that the Santa I was talking to had marched Memphis Blues Brass Band on snare, with my current high school band director. And since im a member of Memphis Sound, this meant a lot to meet someone who had marched with the predesesor of my corps. He then went on and marched Blue Stars if I remember right. A year later, I went to see Blast! when this man came up to me and said he recognized me but he didn't remember from what. Then he remembered and leaned in and said he was Santa Claus. Pretty cool how even Santa marches drum corps.

After '99 season, I was working in a supermarket and I was a cashier at the time while in high school. Then these two guys come up to my register wearing Cadets' t-shirts. My heart almost skipped a beat. So I asked them when and where they got those shirts. They told me they got them at the Giant's Stadium show back in August. So I told them I marched Cadets in that show and they almost attacked me from the other side of the counter. Coincidently, I was sent on my break and I wound up talking to them for about half an hour. Needless to say, I had a pretty good day afterwards.

Got some good ones!

In 93/94 I was working at Wally World (Wal Mart) and took a semester off school to pay for corps. One day I'm talking to one of my co-workers and tell him I'll be leaving in May to do this "marching band" thing. Always easier to explain to the layman in that terminology. Blashpemy, I know. He says, "You mean DCI?" I'm shocked, of course! Guy's name is Jeremy Baudoin, Boudreaux--some French-ish last name. Says, "I was thinking of doing Blue Devils out in Cali!" Duh, of course I know who BD is. Well, I marched PR, he marched BD. Wal Mart didn't know what they had going for them!

If any of you know Jeremy, tell him I want my rifle back.

I go to church with a gal who works at UNT and is studying Library Science. Says the UNT music library finally has the DCI legacy collection on CD. She did Pioneer.

Cool to hear Twinkie/Shea is still chuggin' along! Don't know if the zinc oxide ever wore off on his back. Met Ray while at UNT--didn't know you were there at the same time. That field is now a parking lot.

Walking across UNT campus a couple years ago I ran into one of my Sky bari cohorts--Mark Robnet. Taking accounting courses at UNT. Had him in a tax class last year. Good guy, good memories!

Ran into Scrotum at the Dallas show in 95 or 96--haven't seen him since then. If anyone knows how/where to find John Tsosoras (sp?), I'd sure love to get in touch with him. UMKC music major, PR bari 94--probably singing opera somewhere now. Good voice, great guy--I owe him a Dr Pepper if memory serves correctly!

When I first moved back to Texas from Louisiana in November, I was running around The Woodlands doing some Christmas shopping and I was wearing a Phantom Regiment sweatshirt....long story short I ended up in one day meeting 6 people who either marched PR or their kids marched.

When I wear my drum corps stuff I always meet someone. I think it's fun!