Why did you not march?

Its funny--I have thought about this a lot and honestly--its my biggest regret--having grown up in Maine prior to the internet and after there were really any corps to speak of hear (aparently at one point we had several!) , drum corps wasn't really anything anyone talked or knew about. I was in marching band 5 years and loved every minute and certainly would have taken the step up to drum corps if I knew then what I know now. Our band director would have us watch the championships every year but honestly I really never thought I could have been in something at THAT level-_I was always in awe-besides the fact--I didnt even really understand people from outside their direct areas could even try out! I never really knew much about division II/III as we didnt watch them--i wish I had--I would have loved to have joined Spartans or East Coast Jazz or Boston, all with in traveling distance. so long of the short is--information was in short supply back then I guess! I knew two girls that were in 20th Maine Regiment but even they didnt talk about drum corps much!

I think band directors in rural areas should really make sure their music kids know what is available to them with DCI! For those that are already--THANK YOU!!! I'd love to go back!!!

A little background ... i marched with 20th Maine ... they were around from 84-86 as a class A/A-60 corps ... 86 by far the best year we had ... it's a shame there wasn't more coverage of them at that time .. that was my one and only year marching ... lots of "excuses" why i didn't march after that ... but it came down to what happened to us in 86 really made me hesitant to go thru it again . Currently living in AZ .. moving to CO soon... wish there was a Sr corps in that area ... i'd march in a heartbeat . To this day that is the best summer i EVER had.

Dave

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and two of my friends went to the Sunriser's open house. They loved us and they really wanted us, but we looked at the schedule and my family just couldnt handle the time commitment. Maybe next year.

While vaguely aware of the Blue Knights through high school, I didn't really "discover" DCI until it was about a year too late. D'oh! Oh well, health issues wouldn't have allowed me to march back then anyway.

Would like to give DCA a shot someday...someday.

Edited by troon8

I "aged out" in Viet Nam the year that the DCI was formed. I joined Sunrisers in 1975, but to this day most of the folks I played with will swear that I never "marched" including our marching staff. I played with great enthusiasm though. I just liked to close my eyes when I played. Plus my shako was always too small which I thought negatively affected my marching technique.

Me and two of my friends went to the Sunriser's open house. They loved us and they really wanted us, but we looked at the schedule and my family just couldnt handle the time commitment. Maybe next year.

best of luck

Edited by rayfallon

I'm still a kid who has six more years of eligibility left, but for the reasons why I didn't march this year when I didn't supposed to(see bottom of post for explanations on how I was supposed to):

-Blue Stars cost too much money

-Southwind went inactive

-Capital Regiment stayed inactive

-I didn't realize The Cadets allowed first-years into their organization(for an explanation of why I didn't march bass in 07; I was that good)

-Emotionally, now that I've got a girlfriend whom I love very much, I just don't think we were ready for me to be gone three months.

Now, for the explanation of how I was supposed to march drum corps:

Southwind offered me a bass position in October that I immediately accepted. Originally though, I wanted to march Capital Regiment under the assumption that they were coming back. Then, after Southwind posts audition music up, they tell me they are going inactive. I then switch my full interest to Capital Regiment... who tell me the next day they are remaining inactive. Give it another month, and I get offered a tentative spot in the Blue Stars on one of my many instruments(all battery, bari/euph, and tuba). But I didn't go in the end.

I marched Div. 1 in 2004 and 2005. Best two summers of my life.

I didn't march in 2006 because of school (definitely a good decision on my part, no regrets!!)

I didn't march in 2007 because I was studying abroad in Europe (again...amazing, so no regrets there either!)

I'm marching again this summer in a "World Class" corps!

And then I age out this summer.

Moral of the story? Start early, march, do other stuff, come back. Best of both worlds!