Cadets 2007 show

i saw it on u tube before it got pulled, and the naration is completely pointless and distracting, far worse the even crusaders 2004

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a new clip up on Youtube. I'm not sure if it is the same one that was up before, as I didn't see that one in time...but ya, the narration is by far the most annoying thing since 2004. The speech is juvenile, and covering up some GREAT playing.

I think a lot of the people who like narration will have trouble liking this stuff.

I really wanted to like this show, and went into the whole narration/amplification on this with an open mind...and, hey, the music is still great.

However, the narration is something that's just going to prevent me from enjoying it. It's just not doing it....and it comes off as a pale imitation of the NPR revival show it attempts to ape. It's just too much icing on a cake (the music and drill book) that doesn't need it.

However, if the pre-season CD has these tracks narration free, I'll gladly buy it. The horn book is good stuff. :)

Ah, well. :doh:

Edited by bawker

Just saw some video of the drumline recorded yesterday. The playing is really good.

To bad narration will cover it up. <**>

Just saw some video of the drumline recorded yesterday. The playing is really good.

To bad narration will cover it up. <**>

This isn't fair! Why must good shows be ruined by narration?! The Cadets are one of my favorite corps and they've had such a great history. They don't need this!

Edited by dccorpsfan

I'm listening to the hornline and the percussion, and they are great. But the narration is just... so not good. The first half of the show feels so chopped up to me. Playing...narration...playing...narration. Please, pick one! Preferably, playing.

It's such a shame too, because the music is great. However, the narration just dampens the impact, IMO.

I was really hoping to like The Cadets show this year. :(

From a few clips I just saw, the drumline???? :doh: WOW ----

10 snares 5 tenors 5 basses

Lots of notes

Pretty impressive for not having their first show yet

there is a clip on youtube currently.

This kind of show is something that is entirely new for Drum Corps. A new kind of show means that the old way of interpreting Drum Corps will no longer do in this context and a new way of listening must be developed and embraced. I would argue that BOA is miles ahead of Drum Corps in learning to listen and interpret shows in different context. While some (nay I say most?) may look upon this as narration destroying the musical fabric of the show, I can see it differently. The thought of "oh my god, they put too much narration into this thing" crossed my mind a few times while watching it, however if one approaches it differently - not from the standpoint of narration over music - and instead as narration as part of the music, the show becomes less about straining your ears to hear through the distracting narrator to hear the horn parts. One can appreciate the idea of the show as whole and this I find is much more satisfying.

Finding the interplay between the voice and music is part of the satisfaction of the show in much the same way as, say, the music of a movie interacts with the dialog. One can appreciate the music of say, "Jurassic Park" and one can appreciate the dialog as well (um, maybe "Jurassic Park" wasnt the best example :doh: ). However when these two things are put in together, the sum is much greater than either of them separately. This is the manner in which one should approach a show design such as this.

For me the show concept borders ever so slightly on the edge of "a little too genuine/cheesy" however, thats the kind of guy Hop is if you ever get to meet him. He is just trying to convey his experience with Drum Corps as best he can through a show and if it turns out a little cheesy, then maybe we're all a bit to cynical and jaded..i dunno. I guess time will be the ultimate judge of this experiment.

Edited by KingJoeVII