Cadets 2007 show

I find it amusing that people find it necessary to poke fun at The Cadets. First and foremost, just because they are doing a show that has been done before does not make them any less of a corps.

Santa Clara did Phantom of the opera two years in a row. And the second year is most everyones' favorite.

How many times has Carmen been done by marching bands, Maleguena, Corps recycle that show on a daily basis!

The point is that people poke fun at things that intimidate them. Quite frankly it looks like an extremely difficult and envelope pushing. Which I am pretty sure is the object of this activity.

Talk amongst yourselves.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk amongst yourselves.

We are...in a thread on the front page.....4 below this one

in before lock

I find it amusing that people find it necessary to poke fun at The Cadets. First and foremost, just because they are doing a show that has been done before does not make them any less of a corps.

Santa Clara did Phantom of the opera two years in a row. And the second year is most everyones' favorite.

How many times has Carmen been done by marching bands, Maleguena, Corps recycle that show on a daily basis!

The point is that people poke fun at things that intimidate them. Quite frankly it looks like an extremely difficult and envelope pushing. Which I am pretty sure is the object of this activity.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Who is poking fun ?? Their(over) use of amateurish narration does not sit well with me. Fun, is the last thing on my mind. Hardly envelope pushing or cutting edge, in any arena.

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

in before lock

This has nothing to do with what I think of the show hence why it was not posted in there. It has to do with people who talk about how people are taking stabs at the organization because they chose to do a show that has been before. I accept all groups for what they show they pursue and the hard effort the kids put into the show. I just tend to think that people forget the effort the kids put into the show and it disgusts me that a petty thing like the choice to use narration, would cause people to ignore the insane music those kids are playing, and that my friends is immature.

I just tend to think that people forget the effort the kids put into the show and it disgusts me that a petty thing like the choice to use narration, would cause people to ignore the insane music those kids are playing, and that my friends is immature.

Well, if that isnt provoking another battle, "petty" thing ?? hardly. And voicing ones opinion is not immature either, unless you disagree with it, right ??

~G~

I have never seen any shows which may have led to this year's Cadets concept. I also am not a fan of narration in shows. However, there's something about the narration during Adiemus, the closer, which stands out for me. I wrote about it in my review posted here:

This is especially effective during the closer, during which a member of the trumpet line talks about how music changed his life. The Cadets had a strong performance and can definitely give the Cavaliers a run for the top spot this season.

The member speaking during the closer is using his own words and you can hear the emotion and belief behind them. This is a rare case for me, but I actually want the Cadets to keep this narration in the show.

in before lock

Good call. Topics merged.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Yes, tut tut, you philistines.

Don't you know better than to question the all knowing, all seeing artist?

pki0093l.jpg

Brilliante! :P

Quite frankly it looks like an extremely difficult and envelope pushing. Which I am pretty sure is the object of this activity.

Well, which is it going to be? Is the show one that's been done before, or is it pushing the envelope? I'm not sure it can succeed at being both.

Philosophically, I have no problem with what the Cadets are doing. I think the application and execution of the concept needs some fine-tuning, but hey, that's what the season is for. Once they finish tweaking, this could well become one of my favorite shows; no question the music is killer, and I think there are spots where the narration really adds to the effect of the show. However, I do find it humorous that many claim this show is like nothing we've ever seen, or "envelope pushing", as you stated. I've seen more than one show with the same idea behind it, and although those were marching bands and not drum corps, the presentation was very much the same. That's not necessarily a bad thing - I enjoyed both of those shows, and feel confident that I'll enjoy Cadets by the end of the season as well - but rather than label Cadets 2007 as "envelope pushing", I'd sooner call it "button pushing" ^0^

I have never seen any shows which may have led to this year's Cadets concept. I also am not a fan of narration in shows. However, there's something about the narration during Adiemus, the closer, which stands out for me. I wrote about it in my review posted here:

The member speaking during the closer is using his own words and you can hear the emotion and belief behind them. This is a rare case for me, but I actually want the Cadets to keep this narration in the show.

The member in question, (often refered to as the emo band kid), is really anything but, having marched at magic and 4 years at cadets. Im guessing they picked him to do this narration because they trusted he would actually be able to control his breathing and get the words out. Anyway, i think he's doing a good job conveying a believable message. Some of the narrators sound as if theyre trying to be robots, which i think may be for clarity, but its just a bit too fake sounding. While my story isnt exactly the same as the one he describes in the closer, i can certainly relate to it, and dont find it all that corny or over the top at all. Do changes need to be made???...yup, but i think his character will remain in the show. My favorite line...."i think i made the right choice", followed by insane drum break and drill moves.