Regiment and Dvorak!

I think everyone could use a little more Shostakovich, no?
Well, that's what Mrs Shostakovich told me . . .

:doh:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it- beyond "New World", is there much Dvorak music that anybody really cares about? :P

Now, if Regiment wanted to go in a completely different direction...and I mean VERY different....I would love to see them do the music of Radiohead.

Now, I know what you're thinking. Trust me...the scope and musicality of a lot of Radiohead's output (whether you care for them or not) lend themselves to these sorts of treatments...that's why there's covers of their tunes done by a classical pianist (Christopher O'Reilly), a string quartet group, jazz ensembles, heck, they even made a lullaby album out of Radiohead songs.

Some candidates if I were ever given the task of creating a Radiohead show for a corps or marching band:

Let Down from OK Computer: http://tinyurl.com/2cawfr

I Might be Wrong from Amnesiac: http://tinyurl.com/ytqufd

2+2=5 from Hail to the Thief: http://tinyurl.com/2apcu3 <--- one of my favourites

Sail to the Moon from Hail to the Thief: http://tinyurl.com/29aw7m <--- this would make a great ballad tune.

Wolf at the Door from Hail to the Thief: http://tinyurl.com/27pu6c

Oh, there's so many more that would be great....and it would certainly be an "outside of the box" thing for them. I wouldn't mind seeing it for just one year, then they could go back to what they do best...but man oh man, what a show that could be.

I completely agree.

Hence the avatar.

Further suggestions from my library:

Prokofiev Symphony #1, "Classical"--very fun!

Bruckner 3/4/5--4 is very easy to listen to for the new listener, especially 2/3 movements

Mahler 8, "Symphony of a Thousand"--not just for the volumes, either--AMAZING work, and the story behind it's writing matches the text--there's Faust in the second movement!

Berlioz, "Harold en Italie"--commissioned by Paganini for Viola--much lighter than Symphony Fantastique

Bruckner 8--now, none of you guys lose it just cuz I said Bruckner 8, OK?

Verdi Requiem--OOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Probably more opera-like, but had to throw it out there.

Favorite Beethoven's:

2--quintessential 'classical' symphony--got bored so he started a revolution

3--who needs an Emperor when you've got the Master?

4--LOVE the beginning of the 1st mvmt--the dark side of B's psyche

5--of course

9--never played it, but it's a blast singing!! With your grandparents!!

You didn't ask for all of that, but there it is. Oh, I have the strange urge to check out Radiohead now...

Verdi Requiem = :doh:

our orchestra and choral union are performing it at Lincoln Center next year. Can't wait for that, and I don't care whether I'm in the orchestra or chorus. hah.

You have the wrong avatar to be PR's Program guy. Lord Vader inspires fear and every generation of Buicks knows his wrath. What Scout could possibly elicit such fear/respect/love? :P

Check out Shostakovich Symphony 8 3rd movement--cool! Lots of stark, dark visual opportunities there. Plus, if you think SCV 99 is driving, you'll like this movement.

And Regiment didn't abandon Dvorak--they began exploring works of modern masters. The Romantic era served the corps well, and I agree, I'd like to see some more of it, but consider some of the truly amazing 20th Century works that have been performed since 1990--Saint Saens, Wagner, Bernard Hermann (sp?), Shostakovich, Prokofiev, and last year's and this year's cast of composers. Tchaik hasn't exactly served the corps well the last (?) two times they have revisited that composer's masterpieces. Too bad--I've always had this concept for a 6th Symphony show--my mind just doesn't operate on the creative side in 2000's visual style. I'm a 90's guy.

I'd still like to see select movements of Bruckner-- :worthy::doh::doh: !!!

And who wouldn't like to see Phantom do 2001? AKA Strauss' Zarathustra. The opening 90 seconds would cause more babies to be thrown (and conceived) than any other opener in history! And the other 40+ minutes are incredible music.

Also, very obscure, but VERY Phantom--Ein Alpensinphonie, also Strauss. Mmmmm...Phantom Regiment horns, Strauss...mmmmm!! Yummy! And Rennick would have an absolute BLAST writing a percussion book around the Sturm (Storm) section! Wow! What a show!! And if they can do "On Air," they can do "The Mountain." Perfect symbol for the show--Switzerland's Matterhorn is the perfect shape of a Chevron...hint, hint.

I completely agree!!!! I was listening to the Alpine Symphony this morning, and I thought the exact same thing. I have long been a fan of the Strauss tone poems (Don Juan, Till Eulenspiegel's (sp?) Merry Pranks, A Hero's Life, etc...), but it wasn't until recently that I discovered his Alpine Symphony. Man, that is a great piece. The only problem with Strauss's works is that they are often densely orchestrated and could become muddy when introduced onto the field. Some of the many inner parts might have to get the axe, but this piece will work magnificently for whoever has the guts to use it and the corps to pull it off (Phantom).

I also agree about the Shostakovich. There are several excerpts from Shostakovich's symphonies that I cannot listen to without thinking about Phantom. Right now, my favorite is number 7- particularly the "invasion theme" in the first movement.

I do not believe that any drum corps has played music from Brucker yet. They should. I particularly like symphonies 4, 7, and 8.

Another guy from the same era that produced similar music is Carl Nielson. Listen to the recording of the Chicago Symphony playing Nielson's 4th- it is incredible.

Tell me that wouldn't be either the worst show or the best show ever.

Radiohead is very polarizing...it would either rock or su-c-k. But it sure as heck would be interesting.

I could probably see a corps pulling it off, though it would have to be done just right. I'm not sure that I could see Phantom being the corps to do it, though. SCV of a few years back would have been perfect. Imagine the Cavaliers taking Radiohead on, with the effects that they're so good at producing from the pit. Crossmen have done popular music the last few years, and with their new ties to Reagan, they might have just the character to really make it work (and besides, their current uniform color scheme totally matches "Amnesiac" :P)