Mellophone Question

abelm98

I wanted to see if anyone has encountered this:

We have a student in the HS marching band that has limited use of this right hand/arm. Right now we have him playing mellophone using his LEFT hand to finger the notes and using this right arm/hand to keep the horn up. We are thinking of adding a strap to the mello so that it would be easier to keep his horn up.

Any suggestions or ideas?? Please email me abelm98@hotmail.com

Thank you!!

Abel

Deg has made at least one horn(baritone) which is reversed so that it can be played with the other hand. If there's the money/interest, perhaps they could do the same for a mellophone. Or you could have them play a concert french horn, which is played with the other hand anyway.

I wanted to see if anyone has encountered this:

We have a student in the HS marching band that has limited use of this right hand/arm. Right now we have him playing mellophone using his LEFT hand to finger the notes and using this right arm/hand to keep the horn up. We are thinking of adding a strap to the mello so that it would be easier to keep his horn up.

Any suggestions or ideas?? Please email me abelm98@hotmail.com

Thank you!!

Abel

There was a guy from Blue Knights, I want to say around 2000 - 2001 who did not have the use of his right hand at all. Anyone else remember this guy. He was amazing. He had a Kanstul Mellophone reversed design and ONLY used his left hand. I believe Corpsreps.com has a picture of him.

q8110040.jpg

He is the 2nd one in on the right in the arch. He had absolutely no problems getting around the fact he used only one arm! He was probably one the best marchers out there also.

q8110047.jpg

Edited by JKatzmellophone

There was a guy from Blue Knights, I want to say around 2000 - 2001 who did not have the use of his right hand at all. Anyone else remember this guy. He was amazing. He had a Kanstul Mellophone reversed design and ONLY used his left hand. I believe Corpsreps.com has a picture of him.

q8110040.jpg

He is the 2nd one in on the right in the arch. He had absolutely no problems getting around the fact he used only one arm! He was probably one the best marchers out there also.

q8110047.jpg

cool

Actually, he did not march with a special horn. The Blue Knights welded a ring onto the bell of as standard mellophone, allowing it to be held with the left hand.

I know this because the Renegades bought the Blue Knights Kanstul G's when they went to Bb. And that horn is in my trunk right now.

Edited by randomnoise

flugle horn

Actually, he did not march with a special horn. The Blue Knights welded a ring onto the bell of as standard mellophone, allowing it to be held with the left hand.

I know this because the Renegades bought the Blue Knights Kanstul G's when they went to Bb. And that horn is in my trunk right now.

It would be interesting to see what they did. You have a picture of it?

It would be interesting to see what they did. You have a picture of it?

I was going to say - I don't remember Colby having a special horn when I marched with him... he was a tall guy though, so his hand was big enough to fit over the left side of the horn. He was truly inspiring - really pushed the entire section. I don't think I have any pics of the horn, but I'll take a look through my stuff. That can't be a very hard job though - any instrument repair guy can move the pinky ring.

I was going to say - I don't remember Colby having a special horn when I marched with him... he was a tall guy though, so his hand was big enough to fit over the left side of the horn. He was truly inspiring - really pushed the entire section. I don't think I have any pics of the horn, but I'll take a look through my stuff. That can't be a very hard job though - any instrument repair guy can move the pinky ring.

It may have been the placing of the ring that I saw that made me think the horn was reversed. He did more then pushed his section. I saw you at Giants Stadium in 2000 with a few of my mellophone friends at Cabs. No body complained of fatigue or pain ever again after we saw him! Hell, I would love for him to march a season with us. It would be an honor!