Mellophone Question

abelm98

I will take pics over the weekend and post.

Hey guys,

My apologies - "Lefty" was not in my trunk. It is buried in the Renegades truck. I will look for it this weekend.

Hey guys,

My apologies - "Lefty" was not in my trunk. It is buried in the Renegades truck. I will look for it this weekend.

I remember seeing him in the equipment truck up in Stockton last Sunday ... see if I can find him again.

• 11 years later...

I know this post is old but my son has 3 fingers on his right hand and isn’t able to play mellophone and has been marching with his concert French horn the last year. He wants to march mello. I’d love to know what the mello looks like. I wonder if this is something we can make work with his left hand.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 3:24 PM, Valerie said:

I know this post is old but my son has 3 fingers on his right hand and isn’t able to play mellophone and has been marching with his concert French horn the last year. He wants to march mello. I’d love to know what the mello looks like. I wonder if this is something we can make work with his left hand.  

What fingers does he have the use of? if he has the Thumb and 2 digits he might be able to work around on the valves. Rarely would there be use of the third valve.

The other option is this...

Barb Maroney had no left hand at all and performed wonderfully with Cadets, and on French horn at West Chester. How? She had a right-handed French horn. I'd think a Left handed Mellophone could be built. If you're anywhere near Baltimore, and I mean anywhere- I think there's a brass craftsman/tech who might be able to re work the tubes and bracings of a Mello to set it for left hand use. I believe he's done similar things for a trumpeter.