On The Day of the First Show,

Calm down :) I'm just talking about tonight, not August. Though you may feel free to project in a brand new and exciting thread on the outcome of tonight or August if ya wanna. I have to give props to Nikk "The Tsar" here, who said in another thread,

"I am sure you'll get tons of responses to the effect of "No. You're wrong. Corps X is better. So is Corps Y. And Corps Z." Even though not a single set has been marched in competition yet. That's just to be expected around DCP these days, with the maturity level so low that people can't disentangle themselves from their favourite corps."

"I think that there are literally at least a hundred people on DCP who's thought processes go like this:"

"DCP Fanboy: CORPS X is the BEST! They do everything so well, they're going to win this year!"

"DCP Opposing Voice: Eh...they're ok. But I think Corps Z is going to win this year."

"DCP Fanboy's Inner Monologue: <i>What!!?? What the heck is this guy smoking? How DARE he say that. He should love Corps X every bit as much as I do!</i>"

"A low-level flamewar usually ensues."

"Perhaps I am exaggerating in jest, but...you have to admit that looks awfully familiar. I've come to FULLY understand that some people can't handle that others may not like the same things that they do."

"You'll probably also get dire predictions, even though no one...and I mean NO ONE, not even the corps' staffs themselves, know what PR's, BD's, SCV's, Cavies', etc. shows are going to be like in a month."

Truer words could not be spoken to illustrate this most prescient point. The corps' staff will continue to mold and shape these productions from now until Pasadena. There is no telling how well the intended design plans of these corps will turn out until you, the audience, as well as the green shirts, give their verdict.

Personally, I admit to being an unabashed homer. Do not mistake that for irrational dislike for another team. I really enjoy the Regiment each year. I have consistently enjoyed what the Cavaliers bring to the activity. The Spirit of Atlanta was the first drum corps I ever saw and I promptly fell in love. The Santa Clara Vanguard and The Cadets were the corps I also adored as a kid. I lived in a house in college with 3 other Blue Devils (it got a bit loud between all 4 of us) and a Sky Ryder.

I love drum corps. I hope you do, too. Tell me what you think will happen today. Root for your corps today. Enjoy this wonderfully creative, odd, addictive, enthralling, goofy activity for all that it is today.

I'm not saying it won't be close, but the Cavaliers are going to win tonight (and no, I'm not a fanboy).

i would love to see it...some crazy different scores and placements...but..

honestly with all this hype and excitement, i dont think anythign different will happen...I think the usual placements will occur that take place every single year...

*most* of these long standing top 5 corps have developed formulas for success and that wont change....

most of the upsets will happen of course, finals week...once everyone is done and every member (and lets face it, it happens) takes every bit of it seriously....

It is a distinct possibility. Bluecoats not only stepped it up last year, but they did score right with the big boys thru a good portion of the season. It all depends on the level of performance they can produce out of the gate tonight; and frankly, how both Cadets and Cavies do...which Blooo has no control over.

We shall see tonight...

"I am sure you'll get tons of responses to the effect of "No. You're wrong. Corps X is better. So is Corps Y. And Corps Z." Even though not a single set has been marched in competition yet. That's just to be expected around DCP these days, with the maturity level so low that people can't disentangle themselves from their favourite corps."

"

I know what you mean buddy, drum corps people tend to be a little touchy now days...I've been enamoured with SCV from the first time I saw them, but I'm under no illusions that they're going to win it all this year. I just hope they make top 5.

Having said that, I'll "go out on a limb" and say that while the Coats will continue to impress and firmly plant themselves in the top group, the Cavies are going to again prove that they have the formula for success in the current DCI climate. As someone said, their secret is the fact that they have no weaknesses. That will be true this year as well.

The corps x, y,z thing is means nothing. I could guarantee you with all my worldy posessions that someone who wasn't in the top 6 will not win DCI this year. That does not mean that someone who wasn't in the top 6 won't get there this year, but anyone in a betting mode would say that a non top 6 corps from 2006 has any chance of winning would be a loser. A much more interesting scenario to stop the judging community from slotting these corps tonight, would be if you put the Bluecoats in the Cadets unis and the Cadets in the someone elses unis and the judges would have to base their scores on ONLY the talent and perfection of the show presented and not on WHO presented it. Last, but not least, I have no problem with ANYBODY winning or placing last, I truly enjoy all shows.

Bluecoats will not win tonight.

Cadets will win, and it will #### everyone off.

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

That might actually #### me off. I don't think the narration works right now, there's too much for it to win right off the bat.

How can you hear the bad ### horns and drums clearly with someone talking all over it?

Okay, have I stirred the crap any more?