Precision West Review

I am truly a novice when it comes to DC shows because I have only been following it for just a few years. I wish it was longer, I wish I participated in music when I was younger (I played my first instrument when I was a Junior in high school), and I wish I found out about DCI when I was born. MUSIC IS HEAVEN!

Precision West

Pleasant Hill, CA

General Overall Review: Unfortunately, it was an oddly chilly and windy night in the East Bay, usually known for it's pleasant (read: city) summer nights (usually in the upper 60s, lover 70s). I was REALLY REALLY hoping that the announcer would announce the title of each show, so I can get a general idea of the theme; however, she did not. In addition, I really wanted to hear how they would pronounce SCV's "!" show. Darn. What also did not help was the lack of a program. They had BOTH the program and the show title announcement at last year's Precision West; however, I am just assuming that since the show was about 2 weeks earlier than usual, maybe they didn't get around to arranging such a thing. Also, no BBQ!!! I arrived early, hoping that they would have a grill going (I was really hungry); however, hot food wasn't served until 15mins before the first show and all they had were ordered Pizza & Corn Dogs. Now to the good stuff...

Based on the scores between SCV & BD, as well as the performance level I saw, this is going to be a duel match between the two Bay Area powers.

I will not be posting a review for all of the shows... only the shows that I already knew the title & theme of, otherwise I wouldn't exactly know what to look for.

San Francisco Renegades - My Immortal: From Dusk Till Dawn - 67.925

I was just super impressed with their show this year... REALLY impressed. I remember watching their show at PW last year and it does not compare to this in ANY WAY! They are VERY well prepared this year and the music was just awesome. It, like usual, was a really dark themed show and I loved the "My Immortal" ballad. I am really hoping that their numbers continue to grow and they improve to a point where they will make a big dent in the DCA Finals.

Sacramento Mandarins - Dragon Dance - 63.400

Again, another corps that has shown GREAT improvement over the year prior. The music was bold and very fun to listen to. The first thing that came to my mind after the show was, "Awesome, I have another corps to cheer for!" The music really matched their team so the integration of those two were perfect. The only glaring issue that I saw were those tall stick props. They seemed really flimsy and the wind didn't help. They swayed back and forth (because of wind) and became a distraction; however, a solution would be to just get bigger, thicker, sturdier sticks (though I think it's bamboo, so I don't know). Their show is about serpents and dragons, which are prominent in Chinese culture so serpent like movements would have been great. I know there were already some (slithers through the stick props); however, I think I would have liked to see more of that on a larger scale. I think it's a Finals caliber show.

Santa Clara Vanguard - ! - 75.400

Just an awesome show. Again, I really wish the announcer announced the show title; however, you can't get everything! :). Although I am not exactly sure what the theme is, I have a feeling that it has to do with "Surprise!" At the beginning of the show, they did a loud push that TOTALLY caught me off guard. My friend who was with me also was caught off guard, and when we looked at each other we said, "Yup, that's the show!" The music was just... amazing. There is something about classical music being played at a very loud volume. It is AWESOME. I thoroughly enjoyed the music of the show. I am probably going to download this via DCI's APD. The music can stand on it's own. The drill was also mind boggling as well. It definitely mirrored some of last years "Moto Perpetuo" moves, which I loved. Unfortunately, I wasn't high enough, and centered, to really see the fruits of the drill; however, I could tell that it was complex and very bold. Now I can't wait to see the DVD after year's end. I would have liked more surprises though, like what happened at the beginning. Oh wait, actually, there was one guard move that caught me and everyone else by surprise. A guard member was hugging and hanging, for lack of a better analysis, on another guard member, where the standing guard member through a rifle in the air and caught it, all while he was holding her. Very cool.

The Blue Devils - Winged Victory - 75.900

Another great show. THe opening music and drill was, honestly, breathtaking. The guards' wings, the formation of a bird, the dark music, it was beautiful and all came together REALLY well. This show kind of reminded me of Phantom Regiment's show last year to be honest (That's just me). Nonetheless, the show came together extremely well. Again, with all the other corps, I really would have liked to see the drill; however, my view was limited by the stadium itself. I really think they should have called this show "Phoenix." Again, that is just my opinion, as the music and winged symbols really resembled the general story of the Phoenix. The percussion sounded really good and refined this year and it could very be their year for it. The show was a lot of fun, loud, and very integrated.

Personal Placements:

Santa Clara Vanguard

The Blue Devils

Renegades

Mandarins

Please tell me what you think of this. Also, since I am still relatively new, what other kinds of things should I look for in shows? Thanks!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanna say that it makes me super happy to see the spread between SCV and BD that close... SCV is gunna be hot hot hot this year...

THANK YOU so much for the review!

I looked at the recaps and SCV was behind in performance (which I anticipated). Performance only improves as the season goes on, especially when you have a more difficult show, so SCV should hopefully do fine in Pasadena - and I have 50 yardline seats too! Woo-hoos!

West is best!

Last nights show was a bit chilly, The Vanguard just blew me away and I was sure things were going to be really close between BD and SCV and they were. It's awesome to see Vanguard pulling forward like that. Who was the announcer lady? I hope I don't get roasted for this but it seemed like this was her first show, she seemed very unnatural and had poor timing.

The announcements should go 1. on the field presenting thier 2007 show so and so. Wait for the one minute warm up. 2. are the judges ready? 3. So and so is your corps ready? and 4. You may take the field for competition. She Stepped on a couple shows.

Oh and the alumni corps rocked!

Trav

Good show last night (a t-shirt with a hockey jersey just wasn't warm enough with the breeze), sitting side B/48-yard line/4th row from the bottom.

Just my 2-cents-

Blue Devils. Some very nice "traditional" innuendos in the show - repertoire, butterfly wings, etc. Being with Calvin and Wendy (Malletphreak), I kinda' agree that it's not so much in-your-face, but it is still a very good show.

Santa Clara. The intonation from the brassline was much better than what they put on Finals night of last season (IMO). I'm excited for them and look forward to another helping Aug. 4th at Stanford (with I could go to Moonlight Classic in Stockton tonight).

Mandarins. The corps has been making some great strides since entering D1 and this season could be their best to date. Love the return of some taiko drumming. Hope the bamboo props don't become a problem down the road.

BDB. Like their A counterparts, some traditional BD stuff in their show. Good sound and deserving of tops in D2 this night.

SCVC. I actually had a chance to check out a couple of their rehearsals this past week (living only 3 minutes from Mission College). The show has potential once they get their newbies on track. Also an unfinished product, and hope all is well come June 30th at the California State Open.

Fever. A very young-looking corps, but holding their own. Should make some pretty good noise in D2 this season.

Impulse. The defending D3 World Champions might just do it again with what seems to be a stronger corps. The battery (like Revo's mentioned in another thread) is D1 size.

BDC. Grease is the word! Cute, cuddly. Why are they being judged again?

RCR. Small, yet soundful, corps.

Renegades. Bigger corps & dark/evil as always. Blowing down a stadium near you.

BD/SCV Alumni Corps. "Since I Fell For You" & "Free". Yeah, baby! That's what I'm talkin' about!

Edited by Wildabeast

I was REALLY REALLY hoping that the announcer would announce the title of each show, so I can get a general idea of the theme; however, she did not. In addition, I really wanted to hear how they would pronounce SCV's "!" show. Darn.

FYI, I got this in an email a couple weeks ago...

DCI 2007 PRE-PERFORMANCE INTRODUCTION

Upon the first cue from the DCI contest coordinator – typically with 3 minutes to step off time)

Ladies and gentlemen please welcome to the field _______________, (corps name) from _________________ (where corps is from)

(Upon the second cue from the DCI contest coordinator – typically with 1 min. - TO - 45 seconds to step off time)

Drum major(s) ________________________(name(s))is your corps ready? (drum major “salutes” or acknowledges the crowd)

(Upon the third cue from the DCI contest coordinator – typically with 30 to 15 seconds to step off time)

Ladies and gentlemen, Drum Corps International is proud to present ______________________, (corps name)

(judging begins)

***Now, what this means at World Championships and DCI operated events is you will not have anything on the PA or sound through the video wall for the 3 minutes that precedes your corps “competitive” performance except for the above announcement. At the mentioned events there will be no variance. However, please understand that all “tour” events will require flexibility which I believe especially in the early season you all appreciate as you tweak your shows.

YES: We have eliminated the asking if the judges are ready

YES: We have eliminated “you may take the field in competition”

This will be a change for your members and for your seasoned staff as the old announcement rings in their heads I am sure.