Review of Moonlight Classic (Stockton, CA)

Great night tonight in Stockton, especially for SCV fans. The turnout seemed on the lighter side compared to past years at Moonlight Classic, possibly due to Father's Day and the show falling on a Sunday (a.k.a. "a school night"). I was on the 50 about halfway up and had plenty of elbow room. But anyway, on to the corps ...

Renegades - Here's the part where I grab my foot and stick it into my mouth. In the pre-season I made some snarky comments about the Renegades - basically saying they were too big on hyperbole, and not enough show to back it up. Tonight I was wrong. I really dug the Renegades this year, and thought their goth-vampire program was pretty wicked fun. Even better is that the corps is sounding stronger than last year, and certainly showing much more confidence and control. Loved the blood-red color of the snare drums. Kelli the drum major looked like she could've been in a KMFDM video with those boots and stockings of hers. She rocks. So did that coffin prop which made its way around the field. I kept joking to my buddy that Count Chocula was going to spring from that coffin, but nope, it was just the drum major. But congrats to Renegades for fielding such a solid show, especially this early in the season. I think they're going to show well at DCA ... can I take my foot out of my mouth now?

River City Regiment - I've been rooting hard for my hometown crew, especially after giving Renegades a run last season. But I've got to say that RCR is just OK this year. They had about a dozen horns, including that jet-screamer who hardly marches in the show, but plays a lot of high notes by the front sideline. "Conquistador" is always a fun tune, but RCR just doesn't have the numbers to make enough impact. On the plus side, the guard work is great and that drum line definitely brings some heat.

Blue Devil "C" - This show is frickin' cute. (Can I say that in front of the kids?) But it's true, and "Grease" is the word for the Blue Devil "C." How could you not help but hum along to "Summer Nights" or "Greased Lightning"? The kid dressed like John Travolta was a hoot, and that horn line honked away so earnestly. Great job to the young people out there ...

Parking Lot Action - After catching some of Fever (nice job on the marching and musical control), we headed out to the lot to catch SCV and BD warming-up. Lots of construction is underway on the adjacent Univeristy of the Pacific campus, so the usual warm-up spots weren't to be found right away. But after snooping around a bit more we found SCV's drum line cranking away. I'm not a drummer, so I couldn't tell you if they were playing triple para-flamma-diddle-cheese-rolls, or whatever. But whew, they were rocking hard. I believe they were working out part of their drum feature ... then we passed by SCV's horn line, but they were still in sectionals. So we found BD's drum line, and they were working on their own drum feature, choreographed moves and all. They were smokin', and I loved seeing all of this attitude and stick control up close. This drum feature was a big hit later that night. It was definitely a bonus seeing this up close ... then we found BD's horn line practicing a section from "Pegasus." Very nice, but can't say it drew any goosebumps ... we got back to the stadium just in time for:

Mandarins - Very good showing from the other SacTown corps tonight. I'm pretty sure Mandarins are fielding a larger corps this year - sound wise the Mandarins are definitely bigger. The music is themed around dragons and dancing, but can't say the tunes were too memorable. But the Mandarins definitely represented well in terms of techinque and also connected with the crowd.

BD - Loved the guard work in this show, especially the use of color and the flowing silks in the beginning. The rest of the show was ... OK. I know it's early in the year and all, but this show seemed a little on the mellow side. My buddy also noted that there aren't any sololists this year. A screamer would definitely add some "oomph" ... Drill-wise, there was a little too much park-and-play but they covered the field well. I did notice a lot of visual dirt. At least they didn't go "blablablablablabla Vito! Vito! Vito!" But knowing BD, this show should be a whole other beast come Finals week.

SCV - Can I get a "woot woot!" SCV definitely rocked the house tonight. They've got some great drill and impact points, and the talent to pull it off. This show is musically very tricky, but the corps is showing plenty of confidence and control. And that cymbal line is just insane. I can only imagine what this "!" show will be like when it gets cleaned up. I don't think anyone was super-duper surprised that SCV came out on top tonight. I can't also remember the last time SCV beat BD at a "Moonlight Classic." This one will definitely be savored by SCV fans. Like me ... GO SCV!

SCV/BD alumni corps w/ SCV horn line - This was worth the price of admission right here. The night before in Cocord, this combined line played BD tunes. Tonight it was all about SCV. Vanguard director Jeff Pearson came on the mic, and talked about the good fortune of having two great corps being in close in proximity, sharing both rivalries and friendships over the years. And then it was time to play. The medely of SCV tunes was called "Vanguardian Sketches," which included bits from "Festive Overture," "Music of the Night," "Scheherezade" (sp?) and the "Bottle Dance." Nothing like drum corps goosebumps on a summer night. Then the SCV/BD alumni members took a seat, and SCV's line played "Send in the Clowns." As the big "push" started to swell up, some of the alumni members jumped up and started cheering. The sound was glorious, and yes, I got choked up. It's moments like these that keep me coming back to shows like Moonlight Classic every year. But this one was special if you were looking for SCV nirvana.

Edited by mello916

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much for the review!

I promise to write one for the Riverside an Walnut, CA, shows this weekend (even if there are already tons of reviews for them).

Clowns! Woo-hoos! I hope SCV gets to play it a lot this season. Traditionally, it's only played when the corps wins a show. We played it after Finals in 1989...that was sweet. Gail Royer himself conducted us - the last time he ever got to conduct it at Finals.

Renegades - Here's the part where I grab my foot and stick it into my mouth. In the pre-season I made some snarky comments about the Renegades - basically saying they were too big on hyperbole, and not enough show to back it up. Tonight I was wrong. I really dug the Renegades this year, and thought their goth-vampire program was pretty wicked fun. Even better is that the corps is sounding stronger than last year, and certainly showing much more confidence and control. Loved the blood-red color of the snare drums. Kelli the drum major looked like she could've been in a KMFDM video with those boots and stockings of hers. She rocks. So did that coffin prop which made its way around the field. I kept joking to my buddy that Count Chocula was going to spring from that coffin, but nope, it was just the drum major. But congrats to Renegades for fielding such a solid show, especially this early in the season. I think they're going to show well at DCA ... can I take my foot out of my mouth now?

Thank you so much for the compliments! We've been working really hard this year to put out a quality product for the fans. Just wait until we have SEVEN coffins and more vampire theatrics added! :worthy:

p.s. We're saving Count Chocula for finals. :P

I thought there were more corps at the show than the ones from Northern California, where are those reviews???? But I guess nice job on your review.

Great night tonight in Stockton, especially for SCV fans. The turnout seemed on the lighter side compared to past years at Moonlight Classic, possibly due to Father's Day and the show falling on a Sunday (a.k.a. "a school night"). I was on the 50 about halfway up and had plenty of elbow room. But anyway, on to the corps ...

River City Regiment - I've been rooting hard for my hometown crew, especially after giving Renegades a run last season. But I've got to say that RCR is just OK this year. They had about a dozen horns, including that jet-screamer who hardly marches in the show, but plays a lot of high notes by the front sideline. "Conquistador" is always a fun tune, but RCR just doesn't have the numbers to make enough impact. On the plus side, the guard work is great and that drum line definitely brings some heat.

Blue Devil "C" - This show is frickin' cute. (Can I say that in front of the kids?) But it's true, and "Grease" is the word for the Blue Devil "C." How could you not help but hum along to "Summer Nights" or "Greased Lightning"? The kid dressed like John Travolta was a hoot, and that horn line honked away so earnestly. Great job to the young people out there ...

Parking Lot Action - After catching some of Fever (nice job on the marching and musical control), we headed out to the lot to catch SCV and BD warming-up. Lots of construction is underway on the adjacent Univeristy of the Pacific campus, so the usual warm-up spots weren't to be found right away. But after snooping around a bit more we found SCV's drum line cranking away. I'm not a drummer, so I couldn't tell you if they were playing triple para-flamma-diddle-cheese-rolls, or whatever. But whew, they were rocking hard. I believe they were working out part of their drum feature ... then we passed by SCV's horn line, but they were still in sectionals. So we found BD's drum line, and they were working on their own drum feature, choreographed moves and all. They were smokin', and I loved seeing all of this attitude and stick control up close. This drum feature was a big hit later that night. It was definitely a bonus seeing this up close ... then we found BD's horn line practicing a section from "Pegasus." Very nice, but can't say it drew any goosebumps ... we got back to the stadium just in time for:

Mandarins - Very good showing from the other SacTown corps tonight. I'm pretty sure Mandarins are fielding a larger corps this year - sound wise the Mandarins are definitely bigger. The music is themed around dragons and dancing, but can't say the tunes were too memorable. But the Mandarins definitely represented well in terms of techinque and also connected with the crowd.

BD - Loved the guard work in this show, especially the use of color and the flowing silks in the beginning. The rest of the show was ... OK. I know it's early in the year and all, but this show seemed a little on the mellow side. My buddy also noted that there aren't any sololists this year. A screamer would definitely add some "oomph" ... Drill-wise, there was a little too much park-and-play but they covered the field well. I did notice a lot of visual dirt. At least they didn't go "blablablablablabla Vito! Vito! Vito!" But knowing BD, this show should be a whole other beast come Finals week.

SCV - Can I get a "woot woot!" SCV definitely rocked the house tonight. They've got some great drill and impact points, and the talent to pull it off. This show is musically very tricky, but the corps is showing plenty of confidence and control. And that cymbal line is just insane. I can only imagine what this "!" show will be like when it gets cleaned up. I don't think anyone was super-duper surprised that SCV came out on top tonight. I can't also remember the last time SCV beat BD at a "Moonlight Classic." This one will definitely be savored by SCV fans. Like me ... GO SCV!

SCV/BD alumni corps w/ SCV horn line - This was worth the price of admission right here. The night before in Cocord, this combined line played BD tunes. Tonight it was all about SCV. Vanguard director Jeff Pearson came on the mic, and talked about the good fortune of having two great corps being in close in proximity, sharing both rivalries and friendships over the years. And then it was time to play. The medely of SCV tunes was called "Vanguardian Sketches," which included bits from "Festive Overture," "Music of the Night," "Scheherezade" (sp?) and the "Bottle Dance." Nothing like drum corps goosebumps on a summer night. Then the SCV/BD alumni members took a seat, and SCV's line played "Send in the Clowns." As the big "push" started to swell up, some of the alumni members jumped up and started cheering. The sound was glorious, and yes, I got choked up. It's moments like these that keep me coming back to shows like Moonlight Classic every year. But this one was special if you were looking for SCV nirvana.

AWESOME REVIEW! THANKS!

STANFORD IS NEXT!!

Actually, there are several other California shows (both Northern and Southern Cal) worth seeing this month and next. I'm looking forward to seeing both Pacific Crest and The Academy, as well as our D2s&3s and All-agers again.

p.s. We're saving Count Chocula for finals. :P

... and doing the "Frankenberry" show next season? Awesome. :laugh:

I thought there were more corps at the show than the ones from Northern California, where are those reviews???? But I guess nice job on your review.

Mr. Fab: You are right. Impulse, Blue Devil "B" and SCV Cadets were also in competition, but I missed them. (They were on the field during the part of my review titled "Parking Lot Action"). There were also a couple of exhibition corps but I didn't have the time to write them up. Sorry 'bout that ...