Old-Timer Pa. Trivia - Derry Patriots - 1976

This is just a shot in the dark, but 1976 was the last year that the Derry Patriots fielded a corps.

The question that has been on the mind of a friend of mine for years & years is that

he would like to know if by some long-shot of a chance (AND I MEAN LONG-SHOT)

if anyone out there in the existing drum corps planet would happen to remember

what the opening number (kick-off) would have been for the 1976 Derry Patriots

of Derry, Pennsylvania.

Nobody that I know seems to remember what it was, and I even marched with them

that year.

They were considered a Class-"A" corps back in those days.

If anyone out there has a clue, you would end the sleepless nights of my dear friend,

Mr. William Pharr

6 High Street

Oneonta, N.Y. 13820

His E-mail is wwpharr@dmcom.net

Please, can somebody help this man with his insomnia.

Their reps weren't listed in corpsreps.com but there is a former derry Patriot out there that may remember.

This is just a shot in the dark, but 1976 was the last year that the Derry Patriots fielded a corps.

The question that has been on the mind of a friend of mine for years & years is that

he would like to know if by some long-shot of a chance (AND I MEAN LONG-SHOT)

if anyone out there in the existing drum corps planet would happen to remember

what the opening number (kick-off) would have been for the 1976 Derry Patriots

of Derry, Pennsylvania.

Nobody that I know seems to remember what it was, and I even marched with them

that year.

They were considered a Class-"A" corps back in those days.

If anyone out there has a clue, you would end the sleepless nights of my dear friend,

Mr. William Pharr

6 High Street

Oneonta, N.Y. 13820

His E-mail is wwpharr@dmcom.net

Please, can somebody help this man with his insomnia.

My files show this repertoire for the Patriots that year:

Yankee Doodle, Mac Arthur Park, Ceremonial Entry, New Fangled Preacher Man, No Goodbyes, How The West Was Won

Since one is entitled Ceremonial Entry that may be the opening piece they played. My Encyclopedia of Band Music doesn't show any piece by that title, so I don't know if that is the true title or not.

Yankee Doodle, Mac Arthur Park, Ceremonial Entry, New Fangled Preacher Man, No Goodbyes, How The West Was Won

Since one is entitled Ceremonial Entry that may be the opening piece they played. My Encyclopedia of Band Music doesn't show any piece by that title, so I don't know if that is the true title or not.

Thanks so much. I really didn't think that anyone would have that information. Most of the people that marched with the Derry Patriots couldn't even remember the kick-off. I played lead soprano for them that year & remember that it started off with a pretty cool fanfare with a lot of double tongueing but couldn't remember the name. Everyone that marched with the Patriots remembered Mac Arthur Park but that was about it. My friend can now sleep at peace after over 30 years of insomnia. Even if that's not correct, it sounds good. All of the other songs are correct, so I'm pretty sure that you are right with the name of the opener, also. Thanks again.

:blink:

IIRC

With the exception of MacArthur Park, I don't recall playing any of those other tunes on the field that year, or any year for that matter. I think maybe YD was a parade piece only, as well as West. "Ceremonial Entry" was an OTL we used at least one year, not sure it was 76, but could have been. It was a fairly familiar fanfair - something Romanesque that you might have heard on an old Cecil B Demille movie. Joe Buncie had named it CE on the sheet music, probably different than the original because he transcribed it from hearing it and didn't know its right name.

Several of us have been wracking our brains trying to remember - maybe the more we talk the closer we will get!

My archives have more musical repertoires than any site on the internet, and go back to the early 1950s.

I am fortunate to have assembled a complete collection of all the major drum corps periodicals over the decades, as well as hundreds of corps programs, yearbooks, etc. Usually that information is pretty accurate, although corps often changed what was originally published.

The Encyclopedia of Band Music is also very valuable, since all the published works played by bands over the decades is listed, along with composers, dates, publishers, etc. Tons of drum corps music has come from that idiom, and since "Ceremonial Entry" sounded like a band piece I checked to see if there was more information about it.

Edited by Northern Thunder