NY State in the 1970's

Hey Tom D'Bomb .... I use to hurry and put away my xylophone every show we marched in that had the Mighty Liberators. I can't even begin to remember how many times I got my ### chewed for missing an after performance meeting because I was at the fence watching their show. Just could not get over their ability to give 110% from start to finish.

They were also some of the nicest people to talk to.

####, I wish someone would invent a time machine ..... :(

Ken Roe

Gauchos 77

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone out there has any pictures of the Mello-Dears from 1977 I wish they would post them. Being from the Binghamton area I would go and watch their rehearsals when we weren't in Fulton. They had a very cute blonde xylophone player ... I think her name was Jennifer.

Great corps ...... I miss them all. Hey Shinners, the only reason you mentioned the Castlemen was because I got you on the golf course. Bet you can't even remember what color uniform they wore.

Keith - found my tour album from 1977 .... just give me some time to figure out how to use a scanner. :laugh:

Ken

Great corps ...... I miss them all. Hey Shinners, the only reason you mentioned the Castlemen was because I got you on the golf course. Bet you can't even remember what color uniform they wore.

Ken

I seem to remember black and gold.

Hey Tom D'Bomb .... I use to hurry and put away my xylophone every show we marched in that had the Mighty Liberators. I can't even begin to remember how many times I got my ### chewed for missing an after performance meeting because I was at the fence watching their show. Just could not get over their ability to give 110% from start to finish.

They were also some of the nicest people to talk to.

####, I wish someone would invent a time machine ..... :(

Ken Roe

Gauchos 77

Man, Gauchos 77 had one of the coolest shows of all time: (I think it was 77).

Santana, Stevie Wonder, George Benson... and what goes perfect with those artists? That's right, Gordon Lightfoot.

Please correct me if I got parts of that show mixed up. That was also a Scott Kramer year wasn't it?

OK, OK...you sucked me in on this one. This is where I lived in the 70s, on the fields of New York State every weekend. It really was wonderful, because each weekend you had one or two shows, often not more than two hours from your home. The level of the competition you would face was pretty darn good, by national standards.

I marched with the Magnificent Yankees of Utica. Talking about the NYS A.L. Championships, we won the title in 1971, '72 & '73. The first came after finishing second to St. Joe’s of Batavia by just over a point, we were awarded the title after a protest against St. Joe’s over using overage players. We won the next two on the field, beating the Auburn Purple Lancers in ’72 in Syracuse and the Watkins Glen Squires in ’73 in Binghamton.

Typically, in a weekend the following corps would go against each other at various locations; Mag. Yankees, St. Joe’s, Auburn Purple Lancers, Geneva Appleknockers, Syracuse Marauders, Mark Twain Cadets, Tri Town Cadets, Castlemen, Utica Royaleers, Mello-Dears, Poughkeepsie Pacers, Kingston Indians, Barons of Steuben, Greece Cadets, Apalachian Grenadiers, Troy Speigleaires and others who I can’t immediately recall.

Every once in a while, some corps would come up from the NYC area, like; CMCC Warriors, St. Rita’s Brassmen, OLPH Ridgemen and Blue Rock made several weekend ventures “Upstate” from Wilmington, Del.

You could not talk about NYS drum corps in the era without talking about the great Canadian corps that traveled south regularly; Toronto Optimists, De LaSalle, Cadets LaSalle, Les Metropolitans and the lovely Les Chantelains.

Great competition and a great way to spend a summer!

I share those memories as well. The first time that I ever heard Utica's horn line on a 1965 NYS legion recording by Fleetwood I was blown away! A lot of talent in that line and in later years, the drum line as well. St. Joe's was the juggernaut most of my competitive years. I can remember looking over at that them on retreat and hoping we could be that good when we matured. Funny thing is that five years later I am next to them on retreat and they're still five years older than me! B)

Have you ever seen the hard cover book which features quite a bit about the Volunteers, that was published back in 1982? It covers the 1981 season. According to your signature, Laura, you were with the Volunteers that season. Your photo may very well be in the book!

It is called Introducing The Drum & Bugle Corps, by Janet Chiefari. It has 126 pages. I think I found my copy at a used book store about 20 years ago. There are 24 pages devoted to the Volunteers, in following what it's like to be in a drum & bugle corps.

Nice color photo of 27th Lancers on the front cover, and color photo of the Bridgemen on the back.

Brian,

I would love to see this book. Any idea of where I can get it?

Let us know if you are pictured in it. There are several photos which show the Volunteers hornline, both in uniform and during practice (since you are laurasop, and because of your avatar I presume you were in the hornline).

Edited by Northern Thunder

OK, OK...you sucked me in on this one. This is where I lived in the 70s, on the fields of New York State every weekend. It really was wonderful, because each weekend you had one or two shows, often not more than two hours from your home. The level of the competition you would face was pretty darn good, by national standards.

I marched with the Magnificent Yankees of Utica. Talking about the NYS A.L. Championships, we won the title in 1971, '72 & '73. The first came after finishing second to St. Joe’s of Batavia by just over a point, we were awarded the title after a protest against St. Joe’s over using overage players. We won the next two on the field, beating the Auburn Purple Lancers in ’72 in Syracuse and the Watkins Glen Squires in ’73 in Binghamton.

Typically, in a weekend the following corps would go against each other at various locations; Mag. Yankees, St. Joe’s, Auburn Purple Lancers, Geneva Appleknockers, Syracuse Marauders, Mark Twain Cadets, Tri Town Cadets, Castlemen, Utica Royaleers, Mello-Dears, Poughkeepsie Pacers, Kingston Indians, Barons of Steuben, Greece Cadets, Apalachian Grenadiers, Troy Speigleaires and others who I can’t immediately recall.

Every once in a while, some corps would come up from the NYC area, like; CMCC Warriors, St. Rita’s Brassmen, OLPH Ridgemen and Blue Rock made several weekend ventures “Upstate” from Wilmington, Del.

You could not talk about NYS drum corps in the era without talking about the great Canadian corps that traveled south regularly; Toronto Optimists, De LaSalle, Cadets LaSalle, Les Metropolitans and the lovely Les Chantelains.

Great competition and a great way to spend a summer!

Oh MAN!

The Speigleaires! NEVER hear that name anymore.

We were from Speigletown (North of Troy) and I remember competing in the late 60's - early 70's against ALL those corps'.

The Speigs were soon part of the merger that formed Avant Garde.

If I recall it correctly (I was just a kid, of course), Volunteers were originally from the same Speigletown fire company, and that they started out as our feeder corps. SOMEONE HELP ME OUT WITH THIS ONE.

Edited by brassomaniac

Ken,

your right.. I can't remember what they looked like. lol... I am sorry I totally forgot about the Mighty Liberators!!!